• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Intellectual Property

Share/Bookmark

Intellectual Property

A post in the listening room by one of the professionals raised a question that has been percolating in the back of my mind for quite a while. The question concerns the techniques developed / discovered by people with their samples and DAWs and other equipment.

My question is about the etiquette of what is OK to ask and not to ask. When I hear some posts I listen in awe and think "I wish I could do that" but I don't know what is considered a reasonable question by a hobbyist like me and what is considered rude.

For example, I know that if I go to a restaurant and love a meal, it would be inappropriate to ask the chef for the recipe - it is the specific key to the intellectual property that attracts the business, and that is completely understandable.

But what are the "rules" in this case? I do not wish to offend by asking "for the recipe" but how is an amateur hobbyist ever going to get the best out of any tools if he/she doesn't know how to find out?

Any comments on what are considered reasonable boundaries would be welcome

Re: Intellectual Property

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    A post in the listening room by one of the professionals raised a question that has been percolating in the back of my mind for quite a while. The question concerns the techniques developed / discovered by people with their samples and DAWs and other equipment.

My question is about the etiquette of what is OK to ask and not to ask. When I hear some posts I listen in awe and think "I wish I could do that" but I don't know what is considered a reasonable question by a hobbyist like me and what is considered rude.

For example, I know that if I go to a restaurant and love a meal, it would be inappropriate to ask the chef for the recipe - it is the specific key to the intellectual property that attracts the business, and that is completely understandable.

But what are the "rules" in this case? I do not wish to offend by asking "for the recipe" but how is an amateur hobbyist ever going to get the best out of any tools if he/she doesn't know how to find out?

Ask away and providing you have asked politely and with sensitivity then if the poster feels there is a problem with your question they will say so, hopefully with equal politeness and sensitiviy.

This is just my opinion of course.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I agree.
    Personally I don't think you should restrict what you ask anybody; as my mom used to say "the worst that can happen is they'll say no".
    Intellectual property usually involves money or some other advantage that could be lost by sharing the "secret" and I can't see too many ways that would apply in the context of a performance (ie technique).
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Never fear. Ask away. The best music pros are the most down to earth and helpful people. They got where they are by asking questions.

Lightbulb Re: Intellectual Property

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins

There are those chefs who consider the recipe only part of the dining experience -- perhaps talent in the kitchen has something to do with it? We have a bookcase full of cookbooks, many of which are full of restaurant recipes.

While it is possible that one could consider their orchestrating/arranging (or software use) techniques to be proprietary, I think that most of the people at this forum are here because they like to share

Enjoy,

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

I agree

Ask away.

This is the internet age, and information/ideas (which are not copyrighted), are to be shared. The information age.

Well, I no longer do any professional music work, but I would not object to questions. My only problem would be how coherent my reply would be, and would it be sufficidntly intelligible to get the point across without confusion or inadvertently providing inaccurate response.

Richard

Alan,

the most I have learned was by asking, asking, asking and learning by doing... .

Feel free to ask, ask and ask!

I have many professionals under my friends, and the most of them are very helpfully... .

My Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thank you everyone for your responses. My motivation in raising the question was to avoid offending anyone. I will take this as an indication that people will be happy to receive questions and should not feel in anyway obliged to respond if there is an issue of IP protection.

This is such a great bunch of people!

Here is my observation...
    Alan, the analogy of the chef and his fine food is a good one.

Everyone knows what the basic ingredients are for chili.
    A really fine chef usually does not measure the ingredients.
    As he mixes it (pun), he constantly tastes the brew as it is "in the pot".

There is no single magic potion that is added apart from his experience.

If you asked him how much "BAMB" he put in,.....
    his response would most likely be, "as much as it needed".

Only general ideas and instructions can be offered by the chef.
    When it comes time to mix your own batch, you will have to trust your own taste.

There are those who make the ingredients,
    there are those who use it to make great tasteing food,
    then finally, there are those who eat it.

These are just some thoughts as I typed. I tried to make it honest and silly at the same time.

mmmm! that was some good chocolate!
    It never hurts to ask though.
    Dan

Go Back to forum