• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scheherazade Mvmt. II: The story of the prince Kalandar

Scheherazade Mvmt. II: The story of the prince Kalandar

Please enjoy the second movement of Scheherazade by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov entitled "The story of the prince Kalandar".

This rendition was performed by the academic Finale 2006 GPO bundle.

The Sultana Scheherazade faces certain death for perfidiousness at her new husband's hands if she cannot continue weaving tales of adventures in faraway lands to distract him from consummating their marriage.

Special thanks go to Tony Monaghan for helping me get on the upload page. Thanks, Tony!

Jason Stewart

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Re: Scheherazade Mvmt. II: The story of the prince Kalandar

This is a ton of work to enter all this music from score into Finale. I know, I have completed Movement III of Scheherazade myself. There is a lot going for you in this. I realize that the bundled GPO has a lot of limits, especially in strings, but a few suggestions could help it sound even better.

Dynamics and balance are very important. There are times here that very quiet passes are way too loud, loud passages nearly to the point of distortion or a single instrument suddendly jumps out. The balance between instruments needs to be maintained throughout to create the overall effect of an orchestra and not a collection of solists competition against one another. When making a very sudden dynamic change, say from pp to ff, I will often use a short hairpin to make the change just a tiny bit less abrupt.

I use Finale with GPO myself and struggle with these issues all the time. I write a lot of transcriptions and the notation program is great for entry but not always the best for playback production. But with enough experience the notation programs can produce some amazing musical sounds. The GPO library is really remarkable in producing quality output.

Welcome Jason,

puhhh, you have done a very great job with this! Well done!

And, as Gary said, this should be a ton of work... .

My Best

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

A labour of love, once again. I enjoyed listening to this old classic from your mouse.

Thank you.

Hi, Jason

Ah, now this is just great that you're back with the second movement of Scheherazade. As I felt with your first post, this is an impressive chunk of work which has been so nicely done. Bravo all over you!

Gary has given you some good feedback to consider. Breathing the most dynamics possible into a notation program has to be one of the biggest challenges. You Do have effective swells and dynamic variation - Certainly more than what is heard sometimes on the Forum. But the tips and encouragement from Gary can probably be helpful.

Do I remember correctly that you're not interested in composing? I ask, because the care and attention to detail demonstrated in these renderings makes me think you would be able to express your own music very effectively also.

Thank you so much!

Randy B.

This is my favorite movement of this, unless I am listening to one of the other movements, then that one is my favorite. I have downloaded the first one and this one and await the next 2. Great piece of music to work on and you seem to be doing a fine job of them.

I thank you all for your very kind words. I very much appreciate the feedback I have received, especially because the improvements work ideally well.

I would like to go on the record as a fervent believer in the technology that we are able to use. I don't want to be seen as a Finale basher--far from it. The only limitations I experience have to do with Gateway and Bill Gates, not my Finale 2006. That box at the bookstore was a godsend. When the music I make isn't phenomenal, it's my fault because I haven't polished hard enough. I have more to learn and plenty of ear grease to use, but the technology a novice like me has is nothing short of miraculous.

I'd spend all day every day making these masterworks come alive...if I could still feed myself and my dog. I'm doing it for free now, and it's a cheap hobby; it also means I am more interested in copying than in writing something new. If it happens, it happens. I've got 9 Beethoven symphonies to copy first. I walked through the M section of the university library, and looked at yards of scores lined up, and I thought, "All of these should be done with GPO." I think it's coming, I know it's coming, and I'm very thankful to be on the team.

An impressive undertaking, Jason! And I hear a great deal
    of work in this... a great deal of potential, too. You've
    already gained quite a good deal of mastery over the tools;
    and clearly you've got the cut of mind to get in there and
    really sweat the details... absolutely necessary to do
    literature like this as well as you have.

I think the one area you'll need to give some thought to is
    dynamic management... on two points. First, dynamics in
    scores are notoriously whacky, sometimes -- more guidelines
    than strict indications -- so view them as such, and get your
    ears involved in deciding how to render them. Second, the
    stock dynamic markings in Finale are... well, let's say one
    size does *not* fit all, and that can lead to difficulties getting
    dynamic control and balance across sections. Simply put,
    a forte for a trumpet is a very different thing than a forte
    for an oboe; so you'll likely want to make different dynamic
    expressions for different instruments and sections.

Much enjoyed this, Jason; some excellent work, here.

My best,

Go Back to forum