• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for Spectrum

Share/Bookmark

Question Question for Spectrum

Hi Eric,

We may have gone over this ground several times over the last few years, but please forgive me, as I really can't recall any specifics, so here goes:

If I am doing a loop-based soundware product, am I allowed to use Atmosphere or Trilogy to create melodic, chordal, and/or bass parts which would then be available to another end user as individual tracks? Does this qualify as "musical context" as per the terms of your license agreement?

How about sounds from my JV-1080?

Thanks in advance...
    (and for the great tools!)

Re: Question for Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    Hi Eric,

We may have gone over this ground several times over the last few years, but please forgive me, as I really can't recall any specifics, so here goes:

If I am doing a loop-based soundware product am I allowed to use Atmosphere or Trilogy to create melodic, chordal, and/or bass parts which would then be available to another end user as individual tracks? Does this qualify as "musical context" as per the terms of your license agreement?
    Nope.

No use to create new soundware of any kind is covered. Soundware doesn't fall under "music-usage rights".

"Musical context" also means "non-isolated" delivery. In other words, use of our samples has to be delivered in a mixed music format.

How about sounds from my JV-1080?
    You could ask Roland. However, you would certainly not be able to use any of the sounds that Spectrasonics or other third parties have licensed to Roland for use in the 1080, Expansion Boards, etc.

So the rule is most likely the same in that case.

Thanks in advance...
    (and for the great tools!)
    You're welcome. :-)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just as I'd figured (though not hoped)...But, hey, it never hurts to ask, right?

What if he was to manipulate the sounds so they weren't presets?....It's been quite awhile since I read what was involved in making your instruments but I recall things like Kawai K5000,Reason,Korg Wavedrum,etc....Surely you don't own all the rights to these, so how were you able to use these in this context? Different user agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonmusic
    What if he was to manipulate the sounds so they weren't presets?
    Nope. Not allowed under the standard license. Same thing is true with every other sample library and sample-based hardware and software instrument on the market....not just our stuff.

....It's been quite awhile since I read what was involved in making your instruments but I recall things like Kawai K5000,Reason,Korg Wavedrum,etc....Surely you don't own all the rights to these, so how were you able to use these in this context? Different user agreement?
    Quick answers:

1. Yes, I did obtain all the legal rights to sample everything we used in the creation of our instruments.

2. Most of the instruments that I sampled are not sample-based synthesizers, so it is completely legal to sample them. Synthesizers are not protected under the SR Copyright Law....only sample-based instruments (because a sample is a sound recording)

3. When I did use those other companies instruments, I never sampled any one else's patches....of course I made my own from scratch. So it's also completely ethical to sample those instruments in this way.

4. In all other cases where sample-based instruments we're used, I either owned the rights myself already (in the case of the Roland sample-based instruments where we licensed the material to Roland in the first place to create their hardware) OR I obtained permission and license clearance from each other party/company prior to the release of our instruments.

So we are very careful to do everything by the book....both legally and ethically.

Best,

spectrum

Go Back to forum