• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jazz and such

Share/Bookmark

Jazz and such

Both of these pieces were composed with Sibelius and JABB. The first is my 2nd attempt at composing a Jazz piece and is to be played as the first piece of the last set in a intimate jazz setting. Hence, Quarter after One. It is supposed to sound like an impromptu improv.
    It is composed for
    1 flute, 1 trumpet with a cup mute, 1 trombone w/cup mute,piano, bass, and drums.

I have finally added some vibrato to the winds and added drums to the second half, plus a touch more reverb.
    Here it is:
    http://www.box.net/shared/jtjh41pxxc

This piece has more of a classical twist to it. I envision this as a 4-5 movement piece incorporating some of these themes. I have already began the 2nd movement for this one.
    2 flutes and 2 clarinets

Here it is:
    http://www.box.net/shared/vap9za30fs

Any and all comments are appreciated. I am still learning how to use JABB and hope these sound okay.
    Last edited by rolifer; 08-22-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Add drums and vibrato to "Quarter after One"

Re: Jazz and such

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Both of these pieces were composed with Sibelius and JABB. The first is my 2nd attempt at composing a Jazz piece and is to be played as the first piece of the last set in a intimate jazz setting. Hence, Quarter after One. It is supposed to sound like an impromptu improv.
    It is composed for
    1 flute, 1 trumpet with a cup mute, 1 trombone w/cup mute,piano, bass, and drums.
    Here it is:
    http://www.box.net/shared/jtjh41pxxc

This piece has more of a classical twist to it. I envision this as a 4-5 movement piece incorporating some of these themes. I have already began the 2nd movement for this one.
    2 flutes and 2 clarinets

Here it is:
    http://www.box.net/shared/vap9za30fs

Any and all comments are appreciated. I am still learning how to use JABB and hope these sound okay.
    Well, I did not yet listen to the jazz piece, jazz not being my strong suit. But I did listen to the other one, and found it quite enjoyable. It could be a bit more dissonant, and could use some bass. Otherwise, very good, could easily be developed into a longer work, as you mention. I will be watching for it. You are getting along well with GPO.

Richard

Hi, Rolifer

My senses perked up when I saw you had new music up for us to hear. You've quickly become quite a reliable Purveyor Of Interesting Music.

I've enjoyed your Jazz piece here several times. I really like the main riff "the guys" are doodling with while the good ol' solid Bass player keeps the rhythm nailed down.

And the "classical twist" piece was equally enjoyable. Actually, I'm realizing as I type that I enjoyed it even more. It seems to be asking a question several times, one I can't quite make out, but I enjoy trying to hear what's being asked of me.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hey Rolifer. Both of your songs are kinda 'out-there' for me, but they are both very interesting. I think the reverb for the first one was pretty dry, but I think it worked for an intimate late night setting. Since the second piece sounded a little classical in nature, I thought it could use more reverb. Thats just me though. Thanks for the post.
    -Jay

Roifer:
    I just listened to both of your pieces. Like you, I am new to these sampled sounds and such but to me, your use of them sounded quite skilled.
    I am from the old, old school of jazz so I can certainly appreciate the improv aspect of your pieces but I am having a semantics problem. Old rules of Jazz state that Jazz must be played in 2/2 time (not true) and should involve two or more players improvising simultaneously (a partial truth.)
    All improv is not necessarily jazz, and a jazz style can be played without improv. Your pieces might be called "free form jazz," which I consider an oxymoron, because without form, you have musical anarchy. I think "Free Style Improv" would be a more appropriate classification. Maybe if I could have heard more drums it would help. One of the strongest aspects of jazz is the melodic and harmonic syncopation against a steady (or implied, felt, etc.) pulse. My point is best summed up with the old Ellington tune "It Don't Mean A Thing If Ain't Got That Swing!"
    I apologize for going all pedantic on you concerning the jazz aspects of your pieces. They are in fact, well written, tasteful and imaginative works.
    Write on.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    .... It could be a bit more dissonant, and could use some bass.

Richard
    I couldn't agree more. For the second movement I have added a bass clarinet, so I will also be adding one to this one as well. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Rolifer

My senses perked up when I saw you had new music up for us to hear. You've quickly become quite a reliable Purveyor Of Interesting Music.

I've enjoyed your Jazz piece here several times. I really like the main riff "the guys" are doodling with while the good ol' solid Bass player keeps the rhythm nailed down.

And the "classical twist" piece was equally enjoyable. Actually, I'm realizing as I type that I enjoyed it even more. It seems to be asking a question several times, one I can't quite make out, but I enjoy trying to hear what's being asked of me.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    This is a different jazz piece from the last one, or are they too close alike to tell the difference? I have listened to them both so many times that I can no longer tell.

One thing I have noticed about the classical piece is that it gets better if it is looped. The first time thru it's "what was that?" Then the second time it becomes a little bit more understandable and the third time ( if anyone other than myself can ever make it that far) it all sort of makes sense.

I was married for 10 years before my wife gave me the present of divorce. In that time frame she was constantly questioning my every move. Where did you go? Why did you do that? How many times do I gotta....? When are you going to die? So that is most likely the story there.
    Thanks for the listen

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Since the second piece sounded a little classical in nature, I thought it could use more reverb.
    -Jay
    I agree, but I am learning. Thanks for the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    Roifer:
    I just listened to both of your pieces. Like you, I am new to these sampled sounds and such but to me, your use of them sounded quite skilled.
    I am from the old, old school of jazz so I can certainly appreciate the improv aspect of your pieces but I am having a semantics problem. Old rules of Jazz state that Jazz must be played in 2/2 time (not true) and should involve two or more players improvising simultaneously (a partial truth.)
    All improv is not necessarily jazz, and a jazz style can be played without improv. Your pieces might be called "free form jazz," which I consider an oxymoron, because without form, you have musical anarchy. I think "Free Style Improv" would be a more appropriate classification. Maybe if I could have heard more drums it would help. One of the strongest aspects of jazz is the melodic and harmonic syncopation against a steady (or implied, felt, etc.) pulse. My point is best summed up with the old Ellington tune "It Don't Mean A Thing If Ain't Got That Swing!"
    I apologize for going all pedantic on you concerning the jazz aspects of your pieces. They are in fact, well written, tasteful and imaginative works.
    Write on.
    Steve
    I have learned more about Jazz in reading your comment then I have learned in years. I have never studied anything about Jazz, so I will admit my ignorance to it all. I just felt like trying to write some. I am horrible with percussion, and in this one I totally forgot the drums in the second half. I am working on that now.

Thanks to all for the help and comments
    Ron

Rolifer:
    While at the Arranger's Workshop ( Eastman) one summer, I was observing Stan Getz as he was conducting an improv class and when asked what he thought about while soloing, his answer was "always honor the melody."
    Another approach while improvising and you miss a note, is to remember that you're are never more than a step or a half step away from a chord tone (or RIGHT NOTE.)
    Last resort: If you do hit a "clam," repeat it a least two more times and then it will sound deliberate. Bach got away with using some "unusual for the period" intervals by having them in his sequences, which repeated three times, never more.

I took up arranging because there was too much to remember while inprovising.

Steve

It's been a while since I paid much attention to jazz, but the first piece sounds like jazz to me.
    People having difficulty categorizing it as jazz evidently missed the entire '60 & 70's.

Have you heard much John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Archie Shepp, Pharaoh Sanders, Marion Brown,
    Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Albert Ayler, Freddie Hubbard, Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra, Art Ensemble of Chicago, etc.?

Traditional jazz is great. So are these guys. If you want to check them out, they're in the Jazz section of your local
    CD store, along with Duke Ellington and Stan Getz.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical
    It's been a while since I paid much attention to jazz, but the first piece sounds like jazz to me.
    People having difficulty categorizing it as jazz evidently missed the entire '60 & 70's.

Have you heard much John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Archie Shepp, Pharaoh Sanders, Marion Brown,
    Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Albert Ayler, Freddie Hubbard, Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra, Art Ensemble of Chicago, etc.?

Traditional jazz is great. So are these guys. If you want to check them out, they're in the Jazz section of your local
    CD store, along with Duke Ellington and Stan Getz.

- k
    Years ago I use to listen to Coltrane and Davis and a few of the others. I gave it all up and concentrated on Classical. But a friend gave me JABB, so I figured why not try. Since then another friend has turned me on to his collection that encompasses all the various forms. You didn't say though if you even liked the piece.

I am in the process right now of uploading the newest version that finally includes some vibrato and the drums for the second half.
    Thanks for the listen

I love both your pieces. I particulary like the second one . Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast