• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What does everyone want to learn?

What does everyone want to learn?

Hello everyone.

I have been noticing that the education forum has been pretty empty as of late. So, what does everyone want to learn? If you have questions, I have answers (I hope!!) So if you have questions concerning theory, composition, history, orchestration, whatever, bring them on. Maybe we can spark some discussion in this forum.

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Dallas, Texas

Re: What does everyone want to learn?

The most logical sequence of this series would be Orchestrating with Samples. Garritan has inspired many to use his orchestral library and promises an advanced library one day. The next step after common problems would be Orch with samples.

I get the feeling there was an undercurrent of dissatisfaction from some who do not create orchestral music. I believe that is when the jazz preference seemed to advance. I also get the feeling the courses have been shaped more toward GPO, a feeling I did not have when the RK course began. Of course, it is Garritan's forum and he would be doing this from that business basis. I am thinking of the revisions to the original text, (I go back to the course as I create new pieces) and the location of the Common Problems course within the site. This is not a complaint. It is a freebee after all. These are not big things, perhaps just nuances, yet I think the momentum has been lost.

My second view is that an advanced sytsem will be more useful to all users if the sounds of the user are more pleasing to that user. Hence, the need for Orchestrating with Samples will make the whole experience more rewarding. If new and beginning students have the tools at hand, we would hope more of them would continue in music. The skill of orchestrating with samples also applies universally - hence reaches more potential market. That would be a good thing for Garritan.

Lawyers contributing to the literature and advancement of music are not completely unknown. Tchaikovsky switched from law to music and wrote a book on Harmony. I recall he had time to do some other things along the way.

I sincerely wish the best to all, knowing that the direction taken will be a benefit to many people,

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

I am always looking for new ways to help me in regards to compositional technique. For instance, I enjoyed the start to your course a year ago on 12-tone technique. It seemed, though, that it ended abruptly. I think Tony H has a strong point for courses that can be revisited so that one can do a refresher on the particular point at hand.

I remember my college composition classes where we looked at different styles and periods of music, analyzed structure and content, than tried our hand at that particular style. Something along that line would be great. i.e. Renaissance counterpoint, Bach 2-part inventions, Mozart Symphonies, etc., etc., etc....

Just an opinion.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

I very much enjoyed the RK course, especially the interactive aspect of it. For those of us like myself, who aren't very advanced in the theoretical laws of music, being able to hear something being discussed is invaluable. If I took that book out of the library it would be basically useless to me, as are 99% of books on composition and theory. I would love to see an interactive type of presentation where a composition is completely deconstructed and discussed.
    If you've ever seen Amadeus, there is a scene where Soliari (sp?) is describing elements as they enter a piece and I found it very enlightening and easy to hear when approached like that.
    I may be in the minority in my ignorance of theory so what I'd like to see is more from a "for dummies" perspective; the mixed experience and knowledge of the members of this forum make it hard to really come up with any ideas that might benefit all.
    I agree with Tom that a 'basics of composition' would be great, however I doubt it could be brought down to my level even at its most basic.
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Orcas Island

We took a summer sabatical and soon ready to start learning again this fall.

We will be offering a course on instrumentation. Going through all the instruments of the orchestra. This course is a natural prequel to the Rimsky-Korsakov course. The Rimsky-Korsakov course was a great success and is being adopted by a number of colleges as part of their music curriculum.

We'll also be offering a course on Jazz Arranging by jazz great, Chuck Israels. This course is a must for anyone wanting to learn about jazz arranging.

There are other courses in the works and we welcome your suggestions.

Gary Garritan

I have questions: is there a standard instrumentation for a small orchestra, say 30 or so pieces? In the woodwind and brass sections, is it common to have doublers? In such a case, is piano a necessity, and can it effectively replace harp and/or tuned percussion? Are there any general rules for making reductions of larger forces, say 45 pieces down to 32?

Question Re: What does everyone want to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Hello everyone.

I have been noticing that the education forum has been pretty empty as of late. So, what does everyone want to learn? If you have questions, I have answers (I hope!!) So if you have questions concerning theory, composition, history, orchestration, whatever, bring them on. Maybe we can spark some discussion in this forum.

Hi Jonny:
    I am a mature composer trying to change my ways of composing, I have studied most of the styles/methods and am trying to arrive at a new sound (at least for me) can you offer suggestions to help me through this experimentation period? Thanks

Hi taylorchandler -

May I ask why you are 'trying to change your ways of composing'?

Your phrase "...help me through this experimentation period?" makes it sound more like you are going through a period of self-doubt and looking for answers.

That's not uncommon for artists of all types. But you should ask yourself how you will know when you've found what you're looking for. Are you expecting an "Aha! That's it! That's what I've been looking for!" experience? That happens, but not often.

In the end, it's more a matter of personality and experience. Do the best you can, given your current knowledge and experience, knowing that it will not be 'perfect'. The next piece will be better.

As for the opinions of other people. Rest assured that no matter what you do, you will be criticized for being too old-fashioned, too modern, too middle-of-the-road, too simple, too complicated, too emotional, too 'academic', etc. You can't please all the people all the time.

So the question really is, what do you do in the face of all of this? And that's something that no one can answer for you. In the meanwhile, keep finishing pieces, keep learning, and keep listening.

Good luck!
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Thankyou Klassical for the excellent and thoughtful reply. I have been trying to compose for about 15 years at present. Looking at and listening to what I have written shows a slow and less than inspiring progression of style/method changes that have sometimes made money, and at this point fail to inspire the "aha" moment. When I confine my listening/analyzing/experiencing to only the past 50 years, I can't say "gee I wish I had written that". I find myself in a rut of using past crutches (counterpoint instead of good melody, complexity to cover up poor structure, dynamics to disquise poor planning/orchestration, weak harmonic motion/progression, virtuosity in place of appropriate idiomatic correct theme developement, etc.) and although I have a masters in theory and composition, I find that most of what I know and have studied have been useful tools, but irrelevant to creating a means of expression that satisfies me. I am currently working on a brass choir piece that I would be happy to share with you as an mp3, .mus (finale 08) or .mid to solicit your suggestions, observations, condemnations, or any other input. Thanks, John Taylor

Sounds like you need to try and ignore all you've learned; or at least not be a slave to it. If you find yourself constantly saying "Oh I can't do that", then you are perhaps missing the point of the reason you choose to compose. I am not in any way trying to belittle your knowledge but it seems to be inhibiting your ability to express yourself.
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum where my lack of knowledge is inhibiting me, I constantly whip up little bits and pieces that sound pretty good, but the lack of a guide to where to take it usually ends up with me abandoning the piece. I've recently started to study theory a bit, but I certainly don't want to get to a point where I feel I am violating "the rules".
    I picture theory and various rules as necessities of composing on paper\in your head, and, in that sense, an anachronism from a time when you couldn't just try out a part with your sequencer\notation app.
    I hope I haven't come across as insulting or ignorant.. it just seems like maybe your respect for all that you have learned has become rigid compliance.
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Go Back to forum