• Register
  • Help

Topic: Disabling "Volume Controller Data" Within GS 2.5?

Share/Bookmark

Disabling "Volume Controller Data" Within GS 2.5?

I started layering some GOS strings last night using GigaStudio\'s Ports 1, 2 and 3. Suddenly I realized upon playback that my DAW (Sonar 2.2) was sending volume controller data that adjusted all the samples to one volume level. Can this be disabled in GigaStudio, or for that matter in Sonar?

Thanks,
    Jon

Re: Disabling "Volume Controller Data" Within GS 2.5?

Kevin,

Thank you so much for the info! Unfortunately Sonar 2.2 doesn\'t have the option to turn off MIDI controllers in that dropdown region. Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 did but I think they hid it somewhere else in the Sonar program. I\'ll look further.

Your tip about setting up the DSP Mixer is great! I configured my samples in a more coherent manner and they\'re definitely easier to work with. If I can\'t get Sonar to cooperate, I\'ll look into assigning the DSP faders to a different MIDI event and that should do it.

Thanks again,
    Jon

Re: Disabling "Volume Controller Data" Within GS 2.5?

Hello Jon,

MIDI controller data is coming from Sonar and affecting the volume of all the linked ports as though they were all on one MIDI port. There are a couple of options you can use to accomplish a workaround.

Solution #1

On the \"Project Options\" in Sonar, there is a dialog with checkboxes for turning off (filtering) certain MIDI controllers. You can selectively choose this and that. I\'d recommend disabling the dynamic controllers cc7 (master channel volume) and cc11 (expression).

Now, the problem with this is you are still stuck with the situation that each of the linked instruments in Giga are all the same volume in the MIDI Mixer. When you change one, the other linked instruments change as well. Here\'s where the DSP Station Mixer comes in handy.

Solution #2:

Set the instrument loaded on MIDI port 1 to a pair of DSP mixer inputs (i.e. 1,2 or 13,14 - whatever). Set the instrument loaded on MIDI port 2 to the next pair. Repeat with the third on port 3. Leave the MIDI Mixer channel volume faders alone and make your adjustments to the mix in the DSP Station.

If you want to control these with your sequencer or perhaps a control surface, right-click on the DSP Station faders and assign a different MIDI controller to each of the instruments. Of course, you\'ll need to be sure that you haven\'t filtered out these particular controllers in Sonar.

You have 32 mixer inputs in the DSP Station. All the outputs are assigned, by default, to the same output pair of your sound card hardware. You can assign these to separate outputs for processing externally if you like, but it may not be necessary for you. It\'s nice to have this option though. Knowledge is power, right?

So now you can have discrete control of all the elements of your performance. Be sure to save this setup as a .GSP file for recall in a future project. It will save you time getting setup the next time you have an inspiration.

Have fun,
    Kevin

Go Back to forum