• Register
  • Help

Topic: Smooth tremolo

Share/Bookmark

Smooth tremolo

Is there a way of softening the attack of individual tremolo notes that are meant to be played in a smooth, seamless melody? The way Overture 4 sets the tremolo looks right - it has the Legato/Sustain on, which should blend the notes somewhat, and I even tried using slurs in an attempt to create a seamless flow. However what I get is every note starting with a strong, distinct attack, making it sound more like heavy marcato. There must be some trick to this, because, although the tremolo is kicking in perfectly, the way it sounds at the moment is a tad bizarre.
    Michael

Re: Smooth tremolo

Once I tried to have the same note [not tremolo-ed] in another track with the same duration as the whole tremolo. Play this softly.
    The mix is wonderful and will diminish the attack. Experiment with it.

Raymond

Ray offers a good suggestion.
    You could also overlap the notes slightly like you're doing, cut the velocity on the track and play around with the portamento controls and pitch bend. I've found a very low velocity (like, 2 or 3), with a Porta (CC20) value around 100 and a teeny bend up/down on the edge of the note makes it sound very good. Also, mod wheel!!!!!!!

Best of luck,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by shirrefs
    Is there a way of softening the attack of individual tremolo notes that are meant to be played in a smooth, seamless melody? The way Overture 4 sets the tremolo looks right - it has the Legato/Sustain on, which should blend the notes somewhat, and I even tried using slurs in an attempt to create a seamless flow. However what I get is every note starting with a strong, distinct attack, making it sound more like heavy marcato. There must be some trick to this, because, although the tremolo is kicking in perfectly, the way it sounds at the moment is a tad bizarre.
    Hi...

Try dialing down the note's velocity. Assuming you are using a sustaining instrument, reducing the velocity should soften the attack.

Depending on what instrument you are using, there may be a tremolo layer you can access via keyswitch, also controllable by Overture. I'd use that before I created a tremolo in Overture 4.

You might tell us what instrument you were trying to tremolo, then we could offer more concrete advice.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thanks Jim - I actually did reduce all the note velocities, but they still chop in alarmingly. However, after the initial attack, the sustained tremolo sounds perfect - until the next note chops in.

I'm using a solo KS violin for this - I've tried the Gagl. and the Strad., both do the same thing. Here's an example of a passage (w.2 voices on the stave) and the tremolo settings in Overture for the Gagli.KS Solo:

Is there anything obviously amiss?
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by shirrefs
    Thanks Jim - I actually did reduce all the note velocities, but they still chop in alarmingly. However, after the initial attack, the sustained tremolo sounds perfect - until the next note chops in.

I'm using a solo KS violin for this - I've tried the Gagl. and the Strad., both do the same thing. Here's an example of a passage (w.2 voices on the stave) and the tremolo settings in Overture for the Gagli.KS Solo:

Is there anything obviously amiss?
    Depends on what you want to hear. Right now you have it set to metronomic precision (measured trem.) That could be why you're hearing heavy attacks--they're all hitting at the same time. Perhaps you want the unmeasured variety, each with a slightly different setting.

Additionally, you have the keyswitch set to a trem layer, so you are doing double duty. Try it without the keyswitch.
    HTH...
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum