• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT - Just got my Theremin

Share/Bookmark

OT - Just got my Theremin

Sorry, I just couldn't resist jumping up and down with virtual excitement! I just got one of the Big Briar Etherwave Theremins, and it is sooo much fun.

Or at least it is so long as I want to pretend I'm doing the soundtrack to an episode of the X-Files. If I want anything approaching an equally-tempered interval it becomes distinctly more demanding. How do all you string players cope?

Re: OT - Just got my Theremin

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    How do all you string players cope?
    With 20 years of practice I reckon!

Congrats Pingu! I guess that a sampled theremin phrases, is your next project?

How about a pic then of the instrument, huh?

Watch out for calluses!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Those things are cool! Post a performance when you get jammin with that thing. I would like to build one, anyone know of a schematic or instructions on the web for building a theremin?

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist jumping up and down with virtual excitement! I just got one of the Big Briar Etherwave Theremins, and it is sooo much fun.

Or at least it is so long as I want to pretend I'm doing the soundtrack to an episode of the X-Files. If I want anything approaching an equally-tempered interval it becomes distinctly more demanding. How do all you string players cope?
    My wife gave me a Big Briar Etherwave Theremin as a birthday present some time ago. I had so much fun with it. I think Sci-fi music in the middle of the night made her regret it. Since then the gifts have been silent. The Big Briar Theremin is fantastic and hope you get lots of enjoyment with it.

Gary Garritan

Happy for you!! It's probably the most fun instrument to play but requires lots of practice to play it good (like any instrument really)

A proper Theremin's price was too much for me so I bought a single antenna version (called Pocket Theremin). Although more sensitive than the real thing and even more difficult to play (Keyboard review declared it to be impossible) I still managed to use it in several songs.

Here's one, if you forgive the shameless plug: Invisible Forest Creatures (EDIT: most prominent melody at 4:27, if you don't feel like running the whole thing)

Cheers Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Those things are cool! Post a performance when you get jammin with that thing. I would like to build one, anyone know of a schematic or instructions on the web for building a theremin?
    Seems to me that it could be done with nearly any unshielded oscillator. When I was working electronics, I frequently caused a theremin effect unintentionally. Seems like it would also be easy to create one that would be lever operated, using regenerative feed back grid leak detector. It could then also be calibrated, if so desired. The lever would be used to adjust the variable capacitor in the tuning circuit. Somewhere, I have a circuit from a radio I designed, which contains the basic circuit which could be used. All the components were scrap radio parts, except the coil, which was wound on a toilet paper core.

Richard

Aziraphal, that's quite impressive, particularly for a one-aerial theremin. I'll be quite happy when I can do that.

I had honestly been thinking of getting one of these since the first time I saw one a few years back... the world NEEDS more theramin soloists!

Have you been able to plug it diretcly into your computer to play it back via the PC sound card? or does it really need an external amplifier?

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I had honestly been thinking of getting one of these since the first time I saw one a few years back... the world NEEDS more theramin soloists!

Have you been able to plug it diretcly into your computer to play it back via the PC sound card? or does it really need an external amplifier?
    I haven't tried this yet. To be honest I'm a complete novice regarding most aspects of music technology, because I jumped straight in during the PC age, and my studio has been completely virtual till now. So I don't know about things like line-level, mic-level, DI etc.

The theremin manual says it outputs at around 1.2 Volts, which I'm dimly aware is massively more than a mic or guitar - but I don't know if it would be safe to put it straight into a line-level input on my soundcard, because I have no idea what line-level is. I'll figure it all out at some point. So far I've just been playing it through a knackered old guitar amp which isn't too fussy about input level.

Go Back to forum