• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB and Sibelius and new version of kontakt

Share/Bookmark

JABB and Sibelius and new version of kontakt

I have Jabb and sib4. I finally got everything figured out and then downloaded the new K2. Now K2 sees the jabb instruments but sib sees garriton studio and does not see the new version of Kontakt. Garritan studio loads the older version of Kontakt (I think it is 1.5). When I tell sib to find new devices it doesn't. The players I had saved seem to work but when ever I try to load a instrument other than the ones already there or in a different player I get a message that says "this patch was generated by a newer version of Kontakt. Please upgrade your copy to load the patch".

HELP

Re: JABB and Sibelius and new version of kontakt

After contacting all the parties concerned. I have come to the conclusion that what I am trying to do can't be done. The best solution came from calling Garriton who said reload Jabb and studio and stick with my old version of kontakt. I just wish that NI would have told me that these produvts were not compatible.

Have you thought of upgrading to Sibelius 5? You can run JABB through the Kontakt Player 2, and it works pretty seamlessly. There are some issues in going from 4 to 5, but after the learning curve, it is substantially improved - especially in terms of playback.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Have you thought of upgrading to Sibelius 5? You can run JABB through the Kontakt Player 2, and it works pretty seamlessly. There are some issues in going from 4 to 5, but after the learning curve, it is substantially improved - especially in terms of playback.
    Next month when I get my school loans I intend to purchase Sib5 and GPO. I am curious of what "issues" there are.

The issues have to do with assigning playback sounds. As Sib 5 now allows VST hosting, the Mixer and Playback Devices are a bit more complicated. Many of us were used to just upgrading, and getting right to work; here, at least in terms of playback, there is some reading and experimenting to do. Not overwhelming, and definitely worth it. It (KP2) is a more efficient playback engine, and I can load more instruments than I could if I had to route through the JABB Kontakt player - so that is a big improvement.

One other BIG improvement: when you Save to Audio, it doesn't work in real-time. This means if you have too many instruments for you system to handle, or too much reverb, or anything that will max out your cpu, Sibelius will take whatever time is needed to make a clean audio file. Very, very helpful.

There are also some nice notation improvements - but nothing that will take much time to learn.

If you are a student/faculty - in school, the educational discount makes it very affordable.

There, do I sound like a Sibelius rep?

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

I appreciate you explaining the issues. They all seem very minor and I also find myself wondering when I talk to people if they think I am a sales rep for Sib.

One of the main reasons I plan on getting sib5 was the non-real time recording. I wish that detail would have been in 4. I have constantly been limited due to my slow computer.

I hear you, in regards the recording. I had to export things in sections, and then re-assemble them in another program. Didn't happen often, as I didn't have many large scores, but still this new way of recording is so much better - and easier. It really helps with certain instruments - if I have some pieces for guitars, and if I use reverb, let things ring (very guitaristic), and let durations be full, my cpu chokes; now, the audio is glitch-free. Whew.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Go Back to forum