• Register
  • Help

Topic: A New View

Share/Bookmark

A New View

Hi, I haven't posted here for a while, but I thought I might post this piece of music. I wasn't going to post it, since it was more just a lazy afternoon improvisation rather than a composition. Still, it does show an aspect of the GPO Steinway that is not often posted here. On my blog site, I often post piano improvisations from an accoustic piano. Eventually I warmed to improvising on the GPO Steinway, and found to my surprise, it was capable of great warmth and resonance, so I went with that and this piece has plenty of string resonance and deep notes as a result. So at risk of being labeled a two chord wonder (not all my pieces are like that!), the link below will take you to my blog entry and my first tentative steps into the GPO steinway.

http://theurbanmyths.blogspot.com/2007/08/new-view.html

Re: A New View

Quote Originally Posted by WJ Kington
    Hi, I haven't posted here for a while, but I thought I might post this piece of music. I wasn't going to post it, since it was more just a lazy afternoon improvisation rather than a composition. Still, it does show an aspect of the GPO Steinway that is not often posted here. On my blog site, I often post piano improvisations from an accoustic piano. Eventually I warmed to improvising on the GPO Steinway, and found to my surprise, it was capable of great warmth and resonance, so I went with that and this piece has plenty of string resonance and deep notes as a result. So at risk of being labeled a two chord wonder (not all my pieces are like that!), the link below will take you to my blog entry and my first tentative steps into the GPO steinway.

http://theurbanmyths.blogspot.com/2007/08/new-view.html
    Never fear parochial labeling; it comes only from those who do not understand the process of composition. This piece is really quite wonderful in its simplicity and displays a sensitive and subtle control of the piano. I, for one, look forward to future compositions from you.

Hi WJ Kington, fellow Aussie!

This is simply delightful.

I love the way you have put this together and made wonderful use of the Steinway. The dynamics are great.

I would be VERY interested to hear how this piece would sound with the upcoming dedicated Steinway library due to be released sometime soon.

Thank you for sharing.

Alan

WJ Kington,

I like the style and there is nothing wrong with the "2 chord wonder" Enjoyed much.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Hi WJ Kington,

I agree with all that has been said before.
    This is a truely wonderful and enjoyable piece, well played.
    It clearly shows that minimalism is very powerful in its own way.
    So forget about labeling, as its main aim is to limitate and put in a frame.
    Go ahead and compose more of this kind of beauty, together with your beautiful photos!!

Yudit

Hello, WJ

This is the first time I've had the pleasure of hearing your music. You have it nestled in an attractive site also - nice.

Aah, I haven't heard any Wyndham Hill type piano music in a long time -and I hope you don't mind that reference. George Winston's piano stylings helped me through some difficult times years ago.

Something I really appreciate about "Auburn" (as "New View" seems to be titled at your site) is that while it's evocative of the view that inspired it, the melancholy feel which often tinges soft piano improvisations isn't there - not that poignant moods like that are undesirable, I just appreciate that your piece rolls along on its gentle way just as the landscape does, and without being overly-sentimental.

The GPO Steinway can indeed sound wonderful!--Glad you discovered that and have been enjoying playing it.

Thank you for this post, WJ.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for your kind feedback.

Something I appreciate about this forum is that the subtlety of what one was trying to do with the music is never lost on anyone here and that there is a broad appreciation of musical styles. Yes it is a simple tune, but I thought carefully about it's expression on that steinway. It is as though by limiting the dimensions of melody, harmony and rhythm, one can focus on the less tangible dimension of expression. Anyway, that is how I feel sometimes about minimalism.

Randy, I don't mind the connection to Wyndham Hill, except, while I do like beautiful music, I rarely listen to sentimental music. Music can be beautiful without the stereotypes surrounding sentimentalism. This is just a personal preference of mine, but I am interested that you picked up on it

About digital pianos. I liked the simplicity of the GPO steinway. I also have the Kontakt (the full version of Kontakt) steinway and other pianos. But it is as though the engineers tried too hard to create that piano. Or, I haven't found my way with it yet. The GPO steinway just responds like a piano, not like an engineering masterwork (which is such a hassle).

Yeah, I would be interested to hear and play a Garritan dedicated piano product.

Oh, so very often, putting a chainlink fence around your
    resources produces the loveliest work...

Beautiful piece, WJ... well worth my several listens.

I doubt I'd call this "minimalism", though... which implies
    a paucity of content; hardly the case, here, as this little
    piece is quite richly endowed.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum