• Register
  • Help

Topic: portable interface with kernel level midi?

Share/Bookmark

portable interface with kernel level midi?

I'm having trouble finding a portable midi interface (for use with a laptop) which supports kernal level midi via gsif2. As we all know the list on tascam's site is woefully out of date, and the only ones listed with kernel level midi are either PCI cards or giant rackmount boxes that i'd rather not lug around. I'm also confused about a few aspects:

1. I've heard kernel-level midi can't work via usb (is this correct?), and it can work via firewire, but what about cardbus?

2. can anyone suggest any interfaces which meet the above requirements? (namely, small, external, works with a laptop, and supports kernel-level midi)

3. can anyone suggest a method of tracking down such hardware?

Re: portable interface with kernel level midi?

Echo's Indigo (cardbus) and AudioFire (1394) products support GSIF on laptops.

These days I'd be looking at a Firewire solution, - you can get a Cardbus with a Firewire interface, if needed.

The Indigo is a simple Cardbus solution, if 1/8" connectors and limited I/O are adequate. I think it's GSIF 1.0, which means no GSIF MIDI (it doesn't support MIDI at all), and no GSIF Input (personally, I haven't used that in years, and only just toyed with it.)

Come to think of it, I'm still only making use of GSIF 1.0 on my desktop.

why do you recommend firewire over cardbus?

oh, i should i have mentioned that i *definintely* need midi in, so i guess the indigo is out--the smaller audiofire looks neat though--too bad the specs don't say if it has kernel-level midi or not, however--i guess i'll have to email echo and wait several years for a response ;-)

Hi Adam,

Nothing wrong with the Cardbus, it's just that the Indigo has limited I/O and 1/8" connectors. Go with Firewire and you can get many channels and XLRs or TRSs. But if the Indigo has the right combination of features and price, go for it. Cardbus is fine.

Regarding MIDI, you can always use a USB Midisport. That's what I use on my desktop, and it's worked well enough for me. Some complain that USB MIDI has long latencies, but it's fast enough for my ears.

Good luck finding the right solution.

GSIF kernel MIDI only works on a combination audio/midi interface. It does not work on a MIDI-only interface. I'm pretty sure this is documented.

- G

Gamera you are right, and it's in tascam's faq, but I think Jon might have been saying that the latencies without GSIF might be acceptable. I know however that as a pianist even small latencies bother me though, and I have no reason not to buy a GSIF2 card, since this is usually clearly indicated--on the other hand, it's terribly hard to find out about kernel level midi support so i might end up forgoing that--if i understand correctly, a GSIF2 card without kernal level midi is like a GSIF1 card, as far as midi input is concerned (and yeah, jon, i'm not concerend about piping audio *into* gs3 any more than you are, lol).

Quote Originally Posted by adamgolding
    ...but I think Jon might have been saying that the latencies without GSIF might be acceptable.
    Exactly - even over USB. But I might not be so sensitive to latencies, compared to others. If latencies are important to you, a GSIF2 over Firewire solution would probably be best.

Go Back to forum