• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio on Windows XP OEM, Will it work?

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio on Windows XP OEM, Will it work?

The Tascam website states that Gigastudio does not support OEM versions of Windows XP. I have OEM Windows on my laptop and I would like to get Gigastudio on it. Does anyone have Gigastudio working on an OEM version of Windows XP?

Re: Gigastudio on Windows XP OEM, Will it work?

I don't see why not? It's the same software.

I'm not sure how it will perform on a lap top though?...

As I recall, GS3 isn't *officially* supported on XP OEM, but it's not disabled on OEM either. Because there are so many custom configured XP OEM versions, you never know what the configuration is. It would be impossible for Tascam to acquire and test every version - PC vendors don't necessarily share all their XP OEM version change information.

So, Tascam makes no guarantees with XP OEM. The only way to find out if it works on a given OEM version is to try is out...

Uhm... could someone explain to me what OEM means now? I remember once being told that OEM software is the same as none OEM (or whatever you want to call it) it just doesn't come in the fine packaging?

Quote Originally Posted by K Lundquist
    Uhm... could someone explain to me what OEM means now? I remember once being told that OEM software is the same as none OEM (or whatever you want to call it) it just doesn't come in the fine packaging?
    That's kind of what i understood too?

As I understand it, the manufacturer buys an XP OEM license that it passes on to the consumer, but the image on the disc is up to the manufacturer to configure. There's garbageware, special drivers, unique configurations and other unpredictables that HP, Dell, Gateway, Sony, Toshiba and all of the other manufacturers customize, based on what they think is best for their machine.

Sure, Microsoft makes a single OEM version, but it's not just generically loaded on your store-bought PC.

Thanks for your replies. Is anyone running Gigastudio on an OEM version of Windows without any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaibulu
    Thanks for your replies. Is anyone running Gigastudio on an OEM version of Windows without any issues?
    I ran gigastudio 2.54 on a dell for the last 5 years. It actually has had more trouble recently than when I started. It was a dimension desktop with 1.7GHz P4 and 1 GB ram. I got it to run GOS with DP on a mac. Since then I moved to an ADK dual core machine and run kontakt as a vst-simpler.

Paul

I've run GigaStudio 3 on a Dell desktop without any problems.

It is my understanding that OEM manufacturers of desktops don't modify the Operating System very much if at all. For example Dell does have a customized help system but that is about it.

OEM manufacturers DO make OS modifications for laptops, primarily for better performance and power management.

If you think about it, OEMs only mess with the OS when they have to because they have to support those changes. This is why the majority of their changes include things like different help screens or an OEM startup screen.

OEMs like Compaq used to modify the OS with older systems like Win98 but they wised up because of the support costs.

You shouldn't have a problem with mainstream desktops.

But even desktops come with a bunch of garbageware these days. For instance, some will have software installed that polls the manufacturer's website for software upgrades. If that happens during a high polyphony playback moment, you could get a click or drop out.

Of course, you can uninstall software, stop services and remove programs from auto-starting, but you never know what problems they might have left behind, especially in the registry.

My conclusion is that XP OEM will generally work, but might take more time to optimize. And there's always the chance that one of your optimizations will kill something important. It could be worth the risk though.

Ironic, isn't it? The least technical people are the most likely to buy the OEM version, but the OEM version might require the most work to optimize for audio.

Go Back to forum