• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help With VSL and Performance Tool In Kontakt 2

Share/Bookmark

Help With VSL and Performance Tool In Kontakt 2

I just bought Horizon Overdrive while it is being blown out to use in Kontakt 2.

I am confused how the "performnance tool" works in Kontakt 2.

On the one hand it says you need the performance tool.

On the other hand, it says the functions have been incorporated into Kontakt 2?

Can anyone give me some insight on how the performacne tool functions in Kontakt 2? Are these just scripts within Kontakt 2? Can I just treat it like any other multi or instrument? Or do I have to use the performance tool in one of their "modes" (stand-alone, monitor, etc). If so, which one should I use?

Thank you for any help.

jeffn1

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: Help With VSL and Performance Tool In Kontakt 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    I just bought Horizon Overdrive while it is being blown out to use in Kontakt 2.

I am confused how the "performnance tool" works in Kontakt 2.

On the one hand it says you need the performance tool.

On the other hand, it says the functions have been incorporated into Kontakt 2?

Can anyone give me some insight on how the performacne tool functions in Kontakt 2? Are these just scripts within Kontakt 2? Can I just treat it like any other multi or instrument? Or do I have to use the performance tool in one of their "modes" (stand-alone, monitor, etc). If so, which one should I use?

Thank you for any help.

jeffn1

jeffn1
    Once you have registered the library you can download its K2 .nki files from VSL - the performance tool is incorporated into these.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Once you have registered the library you can download its K2 .nki files from VSL - the performance tool is incorporated into these.
    Thank you!

If only there were some multis (. . . I'm spoiled).

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Thumbs up Re: Help With VSL and Performance Tool In Kontakt 2

I'm listening to your music right now. Very cool and very professional. Sounds like you should be able to make good use of Overdrive.

I'm listening to your music right now. Very cool and very professional. Sounds like you should be able to make good use of Overdrive.
    Thank you. But frankly, the multis in LPC (and Lyrical Distortion) are really crucial for making these libraries usable for me.

Does overdrive even have a .nki that allows you to move between power chords and palm mutes in real time?

I guess another option would be to try to create multis myself, but, I do not think I have the technical chops for that.

jeffn1

There are no factory multis (.nkm) or banks (.nkb). You can easily create your own, but you might consider creating keyswitched instruments instead, as these are better suited for realtime switching. It is not that difficult: you copy the groups you need from existing instruments and paste them into a new instrument. Then you set each groups keyswitch(es) in Group Start Options. You can even, by combining a keyswitch with round robin, alternate a powerchord group with a palm mute group. So you could have an instrument, that plays only power chords with one KS, only palm mutes with another and both alternated with a third KS.

There are no factory multis (.nkm) or banks (.nkb). You can easily create your own, but you might consider creating keyswitched instruments instead, as these are better suited for realtime switching. It is not that difficult: you copy the groups you need from existing instruments and paste them into a new instrument. Then you set each groups keyswitch(es) in Group Start Options. You can even, by combining a keyswitch with round robin, alternate a powerchord group with a palm mute group. So you could have an instrument, that plays only power chords with one KS, only palm mutes with another and both alternated with a third KS.
    Thank you. Yep, that is an option. I should be able to figure out how to do that (or create multis), but it would not come easy for me.

When you say "groups", are these groups of .nki's or groups of raw waves?

I suppose if I learn how to creating new instruments with key switching or multis, I could use this in other sample libraries.

Do most people here do this type of thing in Kontakt? Or do you just get comfortable working with the all the articulations as they exist in the sample library?

jeffn1

Groups of zones (zone=wave sample) in K2's Group Editor (when you edit an instrument).

Roughly you have:
    Multi/Bank = set of Instruments;
    Instrument = set of Groups;
    Group = set of Zones;
    Zone = wave sample covering a certain span of keys and velocities.

I suppose if I learn how to creating new instruments with key switching or multis, I could use this in other sample libraries.
    Certainly. Flexibility through editing is the beauty of Kontakt and the key to optimal results.

Do most people here do this type of thing in Kontakt? Or do you just get comfortable working with the all the articulations as they exist in the sample library?
    I believe creating custom Banks/Multis/Instruments is quite common. I do it a lot.

Thank you. Yep, that is an option. I should be able to figure out how to do that (or create multis), but it would not come easy for me.

jeffn1
    Building your own instruments etc is worth it. Here are some tutorials i found. Although i suppose most of this is explain in the manual too.

http://kevintweedy.net/TUTORIALS.htm

http://www.matsc.net/Kurs/Kontakt%20...troduction.htm

P.S. Actually Nickie is the one who point me to the second tutorial. Thank her for that.

And if you want to know something about writing scripts for K2, which is a very powerful way of customizing instruments - existing as well as new - Nils Liberg wrote a Script Tutorial. And a Script Editor, that is much better than Kontakt's own script editor.

Go Back to forum