• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harp - notation issue

Share/Bookmark

Harp - notation issue

I can't find it in my literature, but how to notate Damped/Not Damped for Harp? Which symbol is used? Of course I can use the normal Ped-up/Ped-down symbols as for piano, but is this right for harps?

Raymond
    [also asked in .... Academy, but never replied]

Re: Harp - notation issue

I couldn't find anything either. Piston and Adler both suggest simply writing the instruction 'damp' or 'sans etouffez' or the equivalent in othe languages - but that presumes you want the effect for an extended passage (or want a score absolutely littered with instructions and their cancellations). It would be nice to know how to notate a damped note in the midst of undamped notes. I'm sure Gary must know.

I know it was a typo.. but it's "sons étouffés"... or else it's "without dampening" if you write "sans étouffé"!

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I know it was a typo.. but it's "sons étouffés"... or else it's "without dampening" if you write "sans étouffé"!
    You flatter me - 'twas no typo, I simply have no clue!

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    You flatter me - 'twas no typo, I simply have no clue!
    Actually that's not strictly true. I realised that sans meant without, but I just assumed that 'etouffes' (no idea how to do accents) meant 'ringing' or something. I really need to find time to learn stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    I can't find it in my literature, but how to notate Damped/Not Damped for Harp? Which symbol is used? Of course I can use the normal Ped-up/Ped-down symbols as for piano, but is this right for harps?
    Raymond,

étoufféz or étouffés (both terms commonly used) means to 'choke' or dampen vibration. It is a technique commonly used by harpists.

It is notated by the following symbol appearing where the note is to be dampened.

or just marked by the term étoufféz or étouffés.

A circle around the above sign indicated that there is to be total damping by both hands.

When the composer wants the sound to continue it is notated by N.V which means laissez vibrer or let vibrate.

Terry Dwyer did an excellent harp tutorial which can be found here - http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO_HarpTutorial.html

Hope this helps.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

Monsieur,

If you have zat on yur tuunickkk ... you may pazzz vizout presenting uz viz a shrubbery.

Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Monsieur,

If you have zat on yur tuunickkk ... you may pazzz vizout presenting uz viz a shrubbery.

Ni

Thank you, Peter Sellers. In plain french: Zzenque zjou.

Raymond

Go Back to forum