• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harp Sounds Muffled in New KP 2.2.3 Release

Share/Bookmark

Harp Sounds Muffled in New KP 2.2.3 Release

Has anyone tried the harp with the latest 2.2.3 (24/08/2007) fix? It sounds really muffled to me.

Is this the effect of the EQ changes described in the release info?

The velocity>>EQ bug has been fixed in percussive, velocity sensitive instruments (timpani, pizz, etc.) Changes in velocity now correctly modify the brightness of the instruments.
    Another thing, I have a file in Sonar which was set up with the older KP 2.2.3. When I play this back with the latest version, the harp sounds as it did before, even though I'm using the latest release. When I try a new file the harp sounds muffled!

Before installing the latest update, I totally uninstalled all previous versions as I always do so I know for a fact that both the files in Sonar are being played through the latest KP 2.2.3.

I would appreciate it if someone would try the harp and let me know what you think. Also can anyone give possible reasons why the harp patch sounds different in similar files played through the same player?

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Harp Sounds Muffled in New KP 2.2.3 Release

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Another thing, I have a file in Sonar which was set up with the older KP 2.2.3. When I play this back with the latest version, the harp sounds as it did before, even though I'm using the latest release. When I try a new file the harp sounds muffled!
    When you save your Sonar project, all softsynth settings, instruments, multis, banks etc. are saved along with it. I don't think uninstalling and reinstalling GPO changes this - the .nki files, you used in the project (and saved with it), would not have been uninstalled/updated. How could they?

So, although KP2 is the same version in both cases, the harp .nki is not. Hence the different sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    When you save your Sonar project, all softsynth settings, instruments, multis, banks etc. are saved along with it. I don't think uninstalling and reinstalling GPO changes this - the .nki files, you used in the project (and saved with it), would not have been uninstalled/updated. How could they?

So, although KP2 is the same version in both cases, the harp .nki is not. Hence the different sound.
    Thanks for your reply and for explaining why the file sounds different with the same player.

Having sorted that one out, we're still with the muffled harp sound in the new KP2.2.3. I would appreciate it if someone would audition the harp sound in the new KP 2.2.3 and let me know if they agree with me regarding the muffled sound.

If this is the case, then a solution might be to reinstall the previous version, retrieve and save that .nki file, reinstall the latest version and swap the .nki files. A lot of work, unless someone can suggest an easier way, assuming others find the harp sound to be muffled that is.
    Michael

Michael,

I'll ask Tom the examine and test the harp tomorrow and see if there have been any changes in the new player. Maybe it's a setting. If there is a quick fix he can provide it. Worst case scenario is we post a new nki for the harp.

We'll know soon.

Best,

Gary

Which update are you talking about?
    Just about one week ago I downloaded 2.2.2 AND 2.2.3 (dated 16th aug.2007 on my system). Installed them the one after the other as said somewhere.

I didn't notice that the harp is muffled. Go to the listening room and click on my latest contribution (Recuerdos). It is made with 4 harps, thre foor accompaniment and one for solo. Sometimes I damped the background chords and sometimes also the solo harp. It was all made with KP2, the ones above.

Is there somehow another one with the same version number, I can't help you, sorry.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Michael,

I'll ask Tom the examine and test the harp tomorrow and see if there have been any changes in the new player. If there is a quick fix he can provide it. Worst case scenario is we post a new nki for the harp.

We'll know soon.

Best,

Gary
    Hello Gary,

Thank you, can't ask for better support than this.

Hello Raymond,

No, the version you are talking about is the earlier 2.2.3 and in this the harp was fine. I'm talking about the update that just went up yesterday (Saturday 25th August 2007). Actually, the update went up on Friday 24th but the GPO Windows link was broken.

Anyway, as I said, the harp was fine in that earlier update, it's just this latest one I am querying.
    Michael

I think the harp was previously affected by the velocity bug. It sounds back to normal now to me.

I tested the harp and it was muted. A temporary work-around is to use expressions and articulations.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Quote Originally Posted by Cerrabore
    I think the harp was previously affected by the velocity bug. It sounds back to normal now to me.
    I did think about that and it could be the case that this is how the patch is meant to sound in Gary's library and that previously it was too bright. I'm not so sure though; will give it another try.
    Michael

Go Back to forum