• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another trial...little confused..

Another trial...little confused..

Hi folks..

has been quite a while since I last posted some tracks here. Here is a new one. It was more or less another trial within GPO. Something moving, pulsating, somehow... neverending..

Still the mix is not final and please don't blame me for the ending, it's quite a rude way to stop this thing and has to be replaced.
    Just let me know what you think. The working title is "Vibrating silence"

Here's the link:

Enjoy and gimme comments..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ...life is for living and living is free!

Re: Another trial...little confused..

This piece sounds like a celebratory offering rather than anything to do with
    silence. It is a good piece and I liked your choice of instruments. Since it is
    over 4 minutes in duration, maybe the "bells" could be reduced after their
    initial statement and something else to replace their contribution from that
    point on. Overall, I think you did a great job.

Yes, the ending is rather abrupt, but with a little work will fit well with the
    rest of the piece.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Shelton, Washington State

I like the over all sound and it's emotionally effective. To me it's leaning towards the soundtrack genre right now.

HI mates,

thanks for the input. As mentioned before, it is a first and rather rough mixdown. I wanted to do something that is growing bigger and bigger from a very tiny startup, like Ravels Bolero or so...

This one definitely goes into a soundtrack corner, but you have to guess which one.. ;-)

Oh, I forgot to mention, that the distant chorus that is audible in the final section is the Synthway MAGNUS CHOIR plugin....

SO what's your proposal for the final mixdown?

Hi, Ray

This is sounding great, nice and Big, and SErious - Nothing too surprising in the progressions, but that's OK. The dramatic atmosphere builds and weaves an effective ambience. The ending - Abrupt can work, with more percussive punch if you really want to keep it This abrupt.

What to do with the mix? - Maybe I'm in an easy-to-please mood today - but it sounds really good to me as is!

Why do you describe this as "another trial in GPO" - that's so tentative. Why not - here's my new piece! - And what did "littl confused" in your subject line mean--?

Thanks - I enjoyed!

Randy B.

Wilton, NH

Very nice. I agree that it is more “soundtrack” than anything else, though to a certain degree it reminds me a little of some of the work of the minimalists.
    Trent P. McDonald

thanks folks. I will post it again, as soon as it has a proper ending and a nice mixdown. I consider it still a trial, because I try to find my way of working with GPO. It's more or less just a off-the-mind song without any notes, just as it came off my fingers...

Confused, because I felt it was a little bit overloaded at some places, but if you like it, maybe I was wrong...

Thanks again

Cu soon!

I think I'd go with Jack on giving the bells a little more
    vacation time, Ray; but on the overall, a strong piece
    of soundscape/cinematic color writing. It's well put
    together, very cohesive in the use of several motivic
    elements -- and it sustains engagement and interest.

As for the ending, sounds like something I'd do... rofl.
    Seriously? This whole segment sounds introductory
    toward a larger work to me... and that crash hanging
    off the tail of this would be the ideal hinge to take it
    forward into a contrasting section.

My best,

Go Back to forum