• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO, JaBB Volumes Even Quieter In Update

GPO, JaBB Volumes Even Quieter In Update

I have never resolved the very low volume problems I find with GPO and JABB in Finale and Sonar. I know others have commented on this and some suggestions have been made but, for me, it has never been resolved. I find the volume levels in Finale to be so low as to make it virtually impossible to mix; even with the Finale Mixer sliders to maximum.

I have relied on Sonar for my mixing, balancing, panning etc etc and even here I still find the volume levels too low but at least they were sufficient for me to be able to achieve my balancing etc. I have to use an external audio editor to boost the sound level to a typical CD listening level.

Now, with this latest KP 2.2.3 (24/08/2007) update, the situation, for me, is even worse; the sound level in Finale is even quieter and the same in Sonar. I have to set the volume slider for each track in Sonar near the maximum (100 -127) to be able to attempt any mixing.

I feel that I need to tackle this issue both in Finale and Sonar and to be in control of my sound levels both in Finale and Sonar. I hope someone can help me with this.

I find that I can move the slider in the Kontakt Player further towards the right and this does increase the volume. However, the moment I exit the slider returns to its original position. I have asked on the Native Instruments forum about sound levels in the Kontakt Player and have followed the suggestions given. This thread can be seen at:

I use an M-Audio Audiophile Delta 2496 PCI card with the screen volume mixer settings to maximum. Output is through my Boss BR864 8 Track Digital Studio with volume sliders set to maximum. I use the Beyer DT150 Headphones for most of my initial mixing / balancing.

Is it a case that each patch has a default volume setting that overides our settings in Finale and Sonar? If so, can we remove this limiting ourselves so that we can have the full volume of each patch available to us for us to assume full control ourselves via software and hardware sliders? If there is no limiting at all to the patches, can anyone suggest why the levels are so low and why my changes to the slider in KP are ignored.

As always, I would be really grateful for any help with this.

Many thanks.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: GPO, JaBB Volumes Even Quieter In Update

"You could also always just keep the patches as they are but raises the output level. Click the "outputs" tab to view the outputs. Saves time but I do the former rather than the latter." This is quoted from the NI forum you posted a link to. This is what I have been doing for quite some time now. It take time to set it up for each document, especially for full orchestra. However, it is so worth it to me. When you do this the Finale slider in the Mixer does not affect the volume any longer. This allows you to really make finite adjustments to each instruments output levels. On the documents that I've done this with that are full orchestra are absolutely breathtaking compared to the presets. The good thing is that when I save the document the volume changes are save also. I am not confortable with the suggestions of saving the files the other way. I did it with one file without any problems. I just don't want to have an update come out and it can not find the instrument setup I created and saved. In the "Outputs" there are five sections that you can use to enhance or even alter the sounds. One can even create ethereal space-aged sounding instruments using GPO instruments by adjusting the many setting options there.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Re: GPO, JaBB Volumes Even Quieter In Update

Thanks for your reply Samantha.

I did a complete uninstall and reinstall and tried those settings again and this time they actually worked.

Now I can get the levels I had previously although I still find this to be a problem in Finale. I now do my mixing/balancing out of Finale so this isn't too much of a problem for me.

Thanks again and I'm glad you have things under control there.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum