• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Expression Pedal question!!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Expression Pedal question!!

    Hi,
    i think i'm gonna buy an expression pedal...any suggestions? my budget this time is queit high since i'm gonna give back to the store my breath controller and the midi solutions box....so i can spend 100$ or more if needed .....i have a Yamaha Keyboard ..is the FC7 good??? btw it's very important that i assign the pedal to CC1 and not just CC11 so please tell me if it's possible with the FC7 or i have to buy another pedal or any other thing to assign it to CC1 . Thanks very mUch
    Francesco

  2. #2

    Re: Expression Pedal question!!

    The expression pedal you choose has nothing to do with which controllers are assignable, that is entirely determined by the keyboard. Since you say you have a Yamaha keyboard the FC-7 should be an ideal expression pedal for you. You should make sure that your keyboard is capable of assigning the expression pedal to CC#1, otherwise you need a different keyboard (and perhaps a different expression pedal to go with it) or perhaps something like the external pedal box which is also available from MIDI Solutions.

    Keep in mind that other expression pedals such as those made by Roland have a different polarity and will not function properly with a Yamaha keyboard unless you rewire their output.

  3. #3

    Re: Expression Pedal question!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TechEverlasting
    The expression pedal you choose has nothing to do with which controllers are assignable, that is entirely determined by the keyboard. Since you say you have a Yamaha keyboard the FC-7 should be an ideal expression pedal for you. You should make sure that your keyboard is capable of assigning the expression pedal to CC#1, otherwise you need a different keyboard (and perhaps a different expression pedal to go with it) or perhaps something like the external pedal box which is also available from MIDI Solutions.

    Keep in mind that other expression pedals such as those made by Roland have a different polarity and will not function properly with a Yamaha keyboard unless you rewire their output.

    thanks a lot ..it's really sad to give back the breath controller ...but i don't like the idea of blowing air to hear an istrument .... i think i'll get the Fc7 and the Midi Solutions box for pedal ......any other info will be helpful thanks

  4. #4

    Re: Expression Pedal question!!

    Which Yamaha keyboard do you have? I'm not intimately familiar with their newer boards like the S90ES, but I would be surprised if the expression pedal couldn't be set to send CC#1 on that unit. I doubt this is possible on the simpler digital pianos Yamaha makes.

    If you can I would suggest holding onto the breath controller. I think real-time control is the last great frontier in creating realistic and expressive sampled instruments. There are times where you'll get a more authentic response from breath than from your foot, and you might be able to do something wonderful using both at the same time to control different elements of a sound. If you are looking for a versitile keyboard controller there's a lot to be said for the Kurzweil K2600s - they can run both a breath controller and expression pedal simultaneously, as well as four switch pedals, eight sliders and two ribbons. Everyone of these controllers can have any controller assignments with great flexibility in curves and value ranges. The 88 note actions on the 2600Xs are very fragile and not recommended for gigging, but the 76 note actions on the 2600s have proven to be very reliable.

    The Yamaha FC-7 won't work with the Kurzweils though. For those I suggest the Roland EV-5.

  5. #5

    Re: Expression Pedal question!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TechEverlasting
    Which Yamaha keyboard do you have? I'm not intimately familiar with their newer boards like the S90ES, but I would be surprised if the expression pedal couldn't be set to send CC#1 on that unit. I doubt this is possible on the simpler digital pianos Yamaha makes.

    If you can I would suggest holding onto the breath controller. I think real-time control is the last great frontier in creating realistic and expressive sampled instruments. There are times where you'll get a more authentic response from breath than from your foot, and you might be able to do something wonderful using both at the same time to control different elements of a sound. If you are looking for a versitile keyboard controller there's a lot to be said for the Kurzweil K2600s - they can run both a breath controller and expression pedal simultaneously, as well as four switch pedals, eight sliders and two ribbons. Everyone of these controllers can have any controller assignments with great flexibility in curves and value ranges. The 88 note actions on the 2600Xs are very fragile and not recommended for gigging, but the 76 note actions on the 2600s have proven to be very reliable.

    The Yamaha FC-7 won't work with the Kurzweils though. For those I suggest the Roland EV-5.
    Thanks ...i have a Yamaha P-120 ..i really don't think you can assign different CC's to pedals with this keyboard..so i'll get a Midi Solutions Pedal box...Anyway thanks a lot

  6. #6

    Re: Expression Pedal question!!

    I picked up a Yamaha FC-7 at Guitar Center for like 30 bucks. It's rugged, with a smooth and predictable action.

    I use it for Chris Hein's guitar lib.

    No complaints.

    I have a Yamaha S80, and I can assign the pedal to whatever I want. Dunno about a P-120... somehow I doubt the expression pedal is assignable. But I have no clue.

    Consult the owner's manual.

    -Tom

  7. #7

    Re: Expression Pedal question!!

    Thanks guys....i just got a Fc7 pedal from a friend and i find it great (also for Wivi).....my question is: Wivi is great because you can simpy assign cc11 instead of cc2 (for breath controllers).......now the rest of my orchestra (Strings and Woodwinds) is controlled by cc1 (mod Wheel)...is there a way to assign cc11 to these samples (loaded in kontakt) so i don't need to buy the external Midi Solutions Box (since my keyboard can't assign different Cc's to the expression pedal) .....hope you understand!!!

  8. #8

    Re: Expression Pedal question!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    Thanks guys....i just got a Fc7 pedal from a friend and i find it great (also for Wivi).....my question is: Wivi is great because you can simpy assign cc11 instead of cc2 (for breath controllers).......now the rest of my orchestra (Strings and Woodwinds) is controlled by cc1 (mod Wheel)...is there a way to assign cc11 to these samples (loaded in kontakt) so i don't need to buy the external Midi Solutions Box (since my keyboard can't assign different Cc's to the expression pedal) .....hope you understand!!!
    PM me with your email address. I'll send you a simple script to load in K2.

  9. #9

    Re: Expression Pedal question!!

    Hi,

    Can anyone recommend a good expression/Volume pedal that is compatible with the
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88? I know that M-Audio makes one but the reviews on it are not good concerning it's reliability.

    Much appreciated,

    Ron

  10. #10

    Re: Expression Pedal question!!

    I posted this several months ago - about using the BDMO with a variable pedal. Note that the 3 pedals can be assigned any CC# and do feel like a real piano pedal.

    Another very important element that the BDMO sustain impulses adds is a broadening of the stereo field - which also happens in a real world piano. Note that we have patches that alows the user to use a variable (continuous) sustainpedal. The only one that outputs continuous midi cc# 64 and has 3 totally programmable pedals - amazing quality - looks and feels like real piano pedals is the CME's GPP3 http://www.cme-pro.com/products-list/product-gpp.html . I purchased one at www.audiomidi.com for under a $100 USD


    Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound/Pro Audio Vault
    www.proaudiovault.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •