• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TRIO FOR FLUTE, CLARINET, and BASSOON

Share/Bookmark

TRIO FOR FLUTE, CLARINET, and BASSOON

Last edited by garymosse; 09-05-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: re-do mp3

Re: TRIO FOR FLUTE, CLARINET, and BASSOON

Very interesting. I enjoyed listening. Is there any story behind this?

For some reason I couldn’t get the second movement to play – it gave me an error about a bad ID (Blocked! Apparently wrong ID ! Please go back to www.soundclick.com). Also these seem to be recorded a little hot, particularly the 3rd movement – on the loud parts it was very distorted. I really liked the music, but this made it hard to listen.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for listening Trent.
    As much as I try, I can't fit a story to this music. It's 3 instruments
    talking in chorus and against each other. The purpose is to have some†hing fun to play.
    I read a compliment in one of the post that a small room would get a better sound. In this case, it just made everything loud. Try listening with the volume half way down.
    I will re-en†er the 2nd movement.
    Gary

You seem to create your own musical world that is quite strangely attractive.

Yes, it is very interesting.

On the first piece I think there was some distortion probably caused by too high of levels somewhere.

Phil

Thanks for listening, Phil.
    I think it must be a result of "botteling up" sounds in my head
    for 40 or so years until FINALE and Garritan allowed me to voice what I hear. My piano memory skills never allowed me to write it down before my hand got tired.
    Gary

Firstly, I like the piece (all three movements). It is light and would be fun to play as a musician. The three movements themselves have a nice contrasting feel between them and work well together. You did a wonderful job in scoring and writing these movements. The intertwining of the different instruments was very interesting to listen to. Thanks for sharing the three "gems".

Secondly, you definitely have a mix problem. I am only offering suggestions for the presentation of this fine work. The piece is excellent. There is just a problem with digital distortion that should be addressed to make the piece more listenable. You may not be hearing it on your equipment.

There is a good deal of digital clipping going on. The volumes are too high overall. I assume you are setting up these instruments in the Kontakt player within Finale. You should lower the decibel output of each instrument. If you do use a sequencer to tweak your midi lines than lower the output in the sequencer for each instrument. If you have a wave editior (there are some free ones) you could check the wave file for clipping before committing the file to an mp3.

Again, I like the pieces and the previous 2 paragraphs are only suggestions to help listeners of this piece have a more enjoyable experience.

Thanks again for sharing this piece.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks for your suggestions, Rich. I feel frustrated by the complexity of fixing the sound. As I listen on CDs to last year's works., I'm struck by
    how good the sounds were. I didn't have a clue about panning et al, but what came out was much better.
    When I was teaching Band, I learned the secret of KISS.
    Keep it simple silly. Whenever you try to be clever, elusive, etc., it still works better to keep it simple.
    I have not been great about technology. The last thing that was easy for me was recording with a reel-to-reel.....I will try your suggestions.
    Gary

KISS has always been my motto as well. I think the simplest thing to do before rendering the file to wave or mp3 in your case would be to simply pull back the volumes of each instrument in the player a few Db (it should be a slider that you can move left for softer and right for louder. It will show you when you pull it just what volume level the particular instrument is set to as you slide it. Next to that slider is the panning slider and you can move one instrument left of center and another right of center. That should give the instruments some sonic room or space in the stereo field. This is adjustment Will work if you are using the Kontakt 2 player. Since you are using Finale I am assuming it has the Kontakt 2 player that Finale has embedded in it.

Good Luck and keep your wonderful ideas and pieces coming.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi, Gary

I always really enjoy your compositions. I love surprises, and this trio of pieces presents a constantly interesting texture of surprises. Keeping it to this unassuming little group of woodwinds is a wonderful balance to the proceedings.

You've gotten good advice on this thread from RichR about the recording. There is a great deal of digital clipping distortion, especially on the first piece. One basic step to never over look is to listen back to what you have, and re-do, re-do if you hear distortion. Watching meters during playback shoud be a guide - but I don't have a clear picture of what kind of visual feedback is available in Finale for the mixing process.

Thanks for the music!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Gary,

Interesting work..as you stated, constantly changing. Just fix the high end clipping and it will be even more enjoyable.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast