• Register
  • Help

Topic: New course coming?

Share/Bookmark

New course coming?

There were a topic to vote about "What's Next after the Online Interactive Principles of Orchestration" and the possibillities were very instersting. I was just wondering when it will start?

Another point that I think would be very cool, "Analysis of Orchestral styles from different composers"

Imagine that situation: You are listening to a movie score but You dont know who is the composer. You probably can guess who is the composer because of the style.

You listen to Star Wars and you know it's John Williams. You listen Batman and Danny Elfman is the name inside your head. You listen Eragon and of course Mr Doyle will be the answer. Why?

Is that difference merely compositional? I dont think so. I can see very clearly the difference between the orchestration too.

There are some "isms".

Doyle in Harmony always want some dramatic interval (like a sixth or ninth) to add some extra eloquency. His orchestration is always very dense and heavy.

Elfman always want some satiric feel even at the most dark pieces. You hear the strings providing some haunbting harmony but at the bottom there is a harpsichord to give a more "trick or treat" feel, instead of "fear of the dark" or "dont look behind" that for example Christopher Young would do.

That kind of stuff would be cool to be discussed here maybe with some examples too.

Ok I'm talking about movie scoring cause that's my business. Maybe we could this with classical orchestrators like Grieg, Stravinsky.

Best Regards.

P.S.: Iif you want to start discussing orchestral styles here, just do it. Let's exchange opinions.

Re: New course coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Renan Fersy
    You listen to Star Wars and you know it's John Williams
    ...and Richard Wagner.
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Yes there's a lot of Wagner in John Williams compositions...like the Leitmotif technique and other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Renan Fersy
    Yes there's a lot of Wagner in John Williams compositions...like the Leitmotif technique and other stuff...
    Isn`t Wagner in any filmmusic?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Isn`t Wagner in any filmmusic?
    IMO, the present Hollywood musical titanism owes a lot, if not all, to the european late Romanticism...

Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

What do you think about analizing orchestration styles?

Go Back to forum