• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: At the Edge of the Event Horizon

Share/Bookmark

At the Edge of the Event Horizon

While I've been waiting for my "muse" to return and inspire me to some serious-er stuff, i continue to dabble in fun little things to keep a finger in it... (or a foot in it as the case may be ). I do have something in the works, but it is fighting me tooth and nail, it seems. So meanwhile... I wait and install Finale 2008, the full GPO and Kontakt2 which together ought to keep me out of trouble for awhile at least

here is a little piece inspired by a news clip from NASA about the event horizon, which is a theoretical boundary or edge of black hole. Beyond this boundary nothing can escape. The thought of this totally blows my mind. This is one of those pieces that I could have done more with, and intended to for awhile, but as a friend of mine said "Art is never finished, only abandoned. so it is with this. Nevertheless, I am still rather fond of it.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...d=5503578&q=hi

Re: At the Edge of the Event Horizon

Your piece does inspire thoughts of being on the edge of a dark galactical abyss.

There are theories that time and space are mere illusions so maybe we are all on the edge of a black hole but don't realize it.

Anyhow, I liked it for what it was and maybe you should expand on it.

Phil

Great Opening. I love the dissonance. You paint a pretty picture of one of the universe's greatest powers. It ends too quick!!! I hope you will lenghthen this.
    I believe that the secret to the beginning of the universe lies in black holes. Are you aware that not long ago Steven Hawking caved in on whether or not information was lost, once past the edge of a singularity? He now says that the info is not lost, it just goes into another dimension or universe. This still doesn't make Quantum Physicists happy but they never paid much attention to him anyway. Soon they will all begin to understand we are being merged with another universe already. This is why our universe is expanding faster. It also explains the new "empty" regions of space they have found recently.

Sorry,I digress. Just the teacher in me coming out.

I enjoyed your piece a lot and hope you expand it as well.
    Ron

hi guys, thanks.
    yes, it does end too quickly, testament to the way i sort of just dropped it (for now). sort of like tripping over the event horizon and [!]
    no, please do digress, r - i read a brief history of time by hawking a long time ago, sort of an "Astrophysics for Dummies " as i recall it, but i was not aware of his latest thoughts on things, nor am i sure i could even begin to grok them either. but i have been hearing not only about dark matter (old news now!) but now there's dark energy to boot. and what happened to string theory? this all could make for an interesting orchestral suite! Like, the dark noise section - where everything is playing along and then just suddenly stops -- but it didn't stop! It's playing in another dimension, folks!

tell me what the teacher in you is thinking sometime; i love to learn new things!

Hi,

this message had been travelling amongst the stars, passing black holes and denying all gravity laws..... maybe the words are a bit distor..ed, ag..ain, distorted,..... what do you expect after having travelled for over 10 millions lightyears...... this is the sound and music we are all waiting for on our distant star system...... great, you earthling. We can see that your evolution succeeded.... now fo. th. next phase i. you.... ex..stence.

Greetings from that famous black hole, the Hawkins Hole.

Raymond - LHL - Laughing (w)Hole Lot

Raymond,
    it was great to start my morning with your message!

And WHERE DID YOU GET THAT BEER! As you may know from previous discussions, the fermentation technique of motif development is a favorite of mine, and, well, this beer looks just perfect for those far-out motifs!

I couldn't resist looking up this beer - and guess what! the recipe was from ALIENS! Who woulda thunk it? The company( http://www.blackholebrewery.co.uk/ ) states:

"After many months of recipe formulation, using the special brewing machine given to Rich by the aliens, the 3 brews that have emerged from the Black Hole: Black Hole Bitter 3.8% Red Dwarf 4.5% No Escape 5.2%

The name BHB[rewery] was suggested by aliens who appeared before Rich whilst walking home after a particularly heavy market research session. The brewer maintains that although he wasn’t interfered with many wonderful brews will emerge as a consequence of his time spent aboard ship."

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Are you aware that not long ago Steven Hawking caved in on whether or not information was lost, once past the edge of a singularity? He now says that the info is not lost, it just goes into another dimension or universe. This still doesn't make Quantum Physicists happy but they never paid much attention to him anyway. Soon they will all begin to understand we are being merged with another universe already. This is why our universe is expanding faster. It also explains the new "empty" regions of space they have found recently.
    So, Ron, can you explain these things to me (or us)? this is a formal invitation to take over this thread and give us an education! I thought of just emailing you, but figured others might find it interesting, too -- especially such of us as drink BLACK HOLE BEER (is it permissible for me to invite someone to "hijack" my own thread in the interest of education??)

Hi Karen,

I'm taking it back on topic

Nice work! I particularly enjoyed the organ work and instrumental interplay at the end. That part to me evoked the best representation of the black hole, with everything swirling around and being consumed.

If I may make a comment on the rendering, the snare (without snare) does not seem to fit well in the mix. It is too wet in comparison with the rest of the instruments. I think if you cut the reverb on that instrument, your entire mix will get a cleaner, better color. In KP2 this is very easy to do using the aux sends.

Best,
    Reegs

This was a very interesting listening experience. I enjoy the sound of the instruments and the orchestration of the piece. It has quite an effect. However, as others have suggested, I would love to hear more of this. It sort of left a black hole in the pit of my musical feeling that needs to be filled.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast