• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Haydn - Trumpet Concerto In Eb - Mvt I.

Share/Bookmark

Haydn - Trumpet Concerto In Eb - Mvt I.

Franz Joseph Haydn composed the "Trumpet Concerto In Eb" in 1796 for the Viennese trumpeter, Anton Weidinger, the inventor of the valved trumpet.

Here the first movement is rendered entirely in Finale 2006 using the GPO instruments as follows;

Flute Plr 1
    Modern Oboe Plr 1
    Bassoon Plr 1
    French Horn Plr 1
    Tenor Trombone Plr 1
    Trumpet 1 Solo (soloist voice)
    Timpani
    Violins 1 Sus + Short
    Violins 2 Sus + Short & Short Bow
    Violas Sus + Short & Short Bow
    Cellos Sus + Short & Short Bow
    Basses Sus + Short & Short Bow

The trumpet solo music that I found had amazingly few markings with respect to dynamics and phrasing. The cadenza is by Jay Lichtmann. I took the liberty of shaping it as if I were playing the solo part. As one might imagine with the notation program I had to do a considerable amount of work to control the tempi changes and dynamics. I also created a set of vibrato controls for the solo trumpet to give some body during sustained notes that otherwise would sound rather lifeless without it.

http://www.box.net/shared/gdnbzfmmgf

I hope to produce the other movements in the near future. Enjoy!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Haydn - Trumpet Concerto In Eb - Mvt I.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Franz Joseph Haydn composed the "Trumpet Concerto In Eb" in 1796 for the Viennese trumpeter, Anton Weidinger, the inventor of the valved trumpet.

Here the first movement is rendered entirely in Finale 2006 using the GPO instruments as follows;

Flute Plr 1
    Modern Oboe Plr 1
    Bassoon Plr 1
    French Horn Plr 1
    Tenor Trombone Plr 1
    Trumpet 1 Solo (soloist voice)
    Timpani
    Violins 1 Sus + Short
    Violins 2 Sus + Short & Short Bow
    Violas Sus + Short & Short Bow
    Cellos Sus + Short & Short Bow
    Basses Sus + Short & Short Bow

The trumpet solo music that I found had amazingly few markings with respect to dynamics and phrasing. The cadenza is by Jay Lichtmann. I took the liberty of shaping it as if I were playing the solo part. As one might imagine with the notation program I had to do a considerable amount of work to control the tempi changes and dynamics. I also created a set of vibrato controls for the solo trumpet to give some body during sustained notes that otherwise would sound rather lifeless without it.

http://www.box.net/shared/gdnbzfmmgf

I hope to produce the other movements in the near future. Enjoy!

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Hi Gary,
    Nice feel! the trumpet does sound especialy realistic in this piece!
    Well done!

Dan.

Hi Gary,
    An excellent work here.

It brings to mind one of my own questions about performance. Should a modern performance of a work from the Baroque, Classical, or Romantic period be held to those standards & practices, or is a performer and/or
    Conductor free ćo interpret it with modern concepts.

As an example, I have never heard such a long cadenza
    in a Classical piece. That doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    I don't speak here about your piece-just the practice. I think it must be just about traditionalist vs non-traditionalist.
    Gary Mosse

I'm by no means a sequencing expert or recording engineer, so I have no idea why - but it sounds at times as though the trumpet is too far away. Somewhere between the 3 and 4 minute mark, and then in the cadenza as well. The cadenza sounds almost like he has walked backstage behind a velvet curtain except in the loud parts. I also think the winds are a little too covered, especially during the introduction. Other than those small issues it sounds great. For the most part the trumpet sounds as good as any GPO trumpet I've heard before. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by June-Bug-Dan
    Hi Gary,
    Nice feel! the trumpet does sound especialy realistic in this piece!
    Well done!

Dan.
    Glad that you enjoyed it Dan. Thanks for stopping by.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Hi Gary,
    An excellent work here.
    Thanks Gary...glad that you enjoyed it.

It brings to mind one of my own questions about performance. Should a modern performance of a work from the Baroque, Classical, or Romantic period be held to those standards & practices, or is a performer and/or
    Conductor free ćo interpret it with modern concepts.
    I guess it is a matter of what the goal of the specific performance is. If it is to be as authentic as possible, perhaps even performed on period instruments. Then the performers need to follow closely what would be understood to be the practice of the time.

The trumpet used in the GPO is not period, or is it likely Eb, not that it really matters here. My goal was to try to get the solo as real as I could with the tools at hand.

As an example, I have never heard such a long cadenza in a Classical piece. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. I don't speak here about your piece-just the practice. I think it must be just about traditionalist vs non-traditionalist.
    Gary Mosse
    There was no cadenza written into the score I used, obtained from a public domain score site. There was a cadenza there are well so I used it since I did not want to write my own. It's a little long, but to edit it could be risky too. It's the way it turned out.

But I am glad that you enjoyed the virtual performance overall.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALynn
    I'm by no means a sequencing expert or recording engineer, so I have no idea why - but it sounds at times as though the trumpet is too far away. Somewhere between the 3 and 4 minute mark, and then in the cadenza as well. The cadenza sounds almost like he has walked backstage behind a velvet curtain except in the loud parts. I also think the winds are a little too covered, especially during the introduction. Other than those small issues it sounds great. For the most part the trumpet sounds as good as any GPO trumpet I've heard before. Kudos.
    Thanks for your comments. I know what you mean about the presence of the trumpet changing. I did not change the position or alter it during the performance, other than the dynamics. This I suspect is changing its perceived presence. However, soloist does not always overplay the orchestra in live performance. The recordings too often have the soloist superior to the accompanying body, even in deference to what the written music would have it be. There are times when it is normal for an "orchestra with soloist" relationship, a more subordinate, blended sound if you will. And I think that occurs in this work several times. Even moments in the cadenza the soloist is reduced in volume and that cuts the brillance of the instrument. My thoughts on it anyhow.

But I am glad that you stopped by to here this work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Gary,

this is well done, great work!

I am looking forward to new own compositions from you... .

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi, Gary

This sounds just great to me. It sounds like the best rendering I've heard in your posts.

And what a great piece of music to work with. You must be very pleased. You certainly should be.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Hi Gary,

this is well done, great work!

I am looking forward to new own compositions from you... .

Best

Gunther
    Hi Gunther,

Thanks for stopping by an listening.

If you want to hear some of my compositions for band you can visit my music site at www.garybricault.com I have posted them previously to the forum. I will repost some of them then I get the Marching Band library.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast