• Register
  • Help

Topic: One Midi Channel to Multiple Channels Possible?

Share/Bookmark

One Midi Channel to Multiple Channels Possible?

Working with various sample libraries, I am trying to figure out how to play a five note chord on one midi channel and have each note sent to a different midi channel. I am aware that one can assign different zones on a keyboard with outputs to different midi channels, but the problem is that the range needs to be predefined. In any event, this approach does not work if you are playing voicings spanning an octave or so.

I would like to input on one channel and output to several channels. Is this doable by some other means?

Re: One Midi Channel to Multiple Channels Possible?

I've often wondered the same thing. It'd be great to be able to play some five note chords and make the software receiving it always assign the top note to flute, second note down to sax etc etc, without being bound by set keyboard splits. Killer way to get contrapuntal instrumental realism.

Never found a way to do it though.

The most likely way I would think is to send all five notes on all five channels, then apply some kind of MIDI filtering in the software receiving each channel, saying "only play the second-highest note being received", or whatever. It seems to me that ought to be possible in something like a Kontakt script or Cakewalk CAL script. But I'm yet to find out how.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    I've often wondered the same thing. It'd be great to be able to play some five note chords and make the software receiving it always assign the top note to flute, second note down to sax etc etc, without being bound by set keyboard splits. Killer way to get contrapuntal instrumental realism.

Never found a way to do it though.

The most likely way I would think is to send all five notes on all five channels, then apply some kind of MIDI filtering in the software receiving each channel, saying "only play the second-highest note being received", or whatever. It seems to me that ought to be possible in something like a Kontakt script or Cakewalk CAL script. But I'm yet to find out how.
    I am pretty sure you can do this in Sonar using a drum map.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    If the top note arrives some milliseconds later than the other notes the script would have to wait until all notes have arrived before deciding what to do with them. So there's a trade-off between correct handling of the notes and latency. But it's certainly possible to do things like this - I have implemented it to automatically select the right strings for chords in Scarbee Black Bass and dynamitec has done the same in his E-guitar lib. Using a similar approach it would probably also be possible to build a reasonably good polyphonic legato. I wonder why not anyone has done that yet (I have had some plans, but haven't had time so far).

By the way, there's a hidden and undocumented feature in Kontakt 2 called multi scripts which can be used to handle and modify the raw midi data that Kontakt receives. So it is possible to have one midi channel send to multiple target channels by using a specially enginered multi. However, I doubt this is the most practical solution in this case. It's probably easier to load multiple instruments on the same channel and apply filtering like suggested above.

Nils

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I think someone has already written a K2 script for this. If not it would be easy to do. And even though it's not in K2 the new WIVI does this exact thing.

Tom
    So how do you do it? Can't be that simple. I have been trying to figure it out for awhile using various combinations of K2, Digital Performer and Sonar 6, but no luck.

NI has a Cd out that is is an add on to K2 and one of the scripts you get will do exactly this. It's meant to send different notes of a chord to different string instuments to simulate a chamber orchestra.

Go to NI store and you will find it

giga...

Thanks! I just found it: "Kontakt Experience" (cheesy title or what!).

It does seem to do exactly what we're talking about. And only 99 euros.

I bought the Kontakt Experience library but the script you are talking about only sends notes to separate groups (seemingly only 3). My understanding of this implementation is that it will do nothing more than what can be acheived by sending notes found within a predetermined note range to separate midi channels (like zones from a keyboard). Given, for example, a Cmaj7 in a closed voicing (C E G B), it does not appear to be able to send the lowest note to the cello (channel 4), second lowest to the viola (channel 3) and the top two notes to 1st and 2nd violins (channels 1 and 2).

Maybe I am not understanding its full potential? If not please set me straight!

Go Back to forum