• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT -Microsofts weirdness

Share/Bookmark

OT -Microsofts weirdness

Got this from my son.

Weird/Magic 1: Try to make a New Folder with the name: CON.

Weird/Magic 2: Open Notepad, type the following sentence without the quotes: "Bush hid the facts". Save the file to any name, close Notepad, Open it again with the file just made and surprise!?!?!

Weird/Magic3: Open a document in Word and type exactly:

=rand(200, 99)

and press ENTER and see what happens.

Raymond - what else can happen when we type Gary? A new symphony is playing?

Re: OT -Microsofts weirdness

Kinda wierd. The second one did nothing though (that's what happens when you have Vista)
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Quote Originally Posted by raz.bari.88
    Kinda wierd. The second one did nothing though (that's what happens when you have Vista)
    With XP I get only "unprintable characters" you know those upright rectangles. Weird indeed. I think that with the launching of Vista, everybody already knew that some things were hidden at P.Av. 1600.

Raymond

#2 changes the text into Mandarin Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Kiltie
    But probably only if you have the Chinese font installed, which is why Raymond and I just get the default block that Windows uses for symbols it can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Kiltie
    I know

Raymond

That is correct - you need to have Chinese language pack installed. CON is a reserved word.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Weird/Magic 2: Open Notepad, type the following sentence without the quotes: "Bush hid the facts". Save the file to any name, close Notepad, Open it again with the file just made and surprise!?!?!
    From what I hear, "Bill fed the goats" also works.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I remember reading about "=rand()" being a way to auto-generate a bunch of sample text, probably to test formatting I guess?

For the notepad one, it did the same thing to "Sean has the looks" ... seems to do it for any characters with that format (4 letters, 3 letters, 3 letters, 5 letters)... really weird.

Also in Notepad, if you type .LOG and save and open it again, it should log the time you open it... I'm guessing the creators of Windows used that for something.

There used to be a really cool easter egg in Excel 2000 that would allow you to fly around some purple 3D landscape. We had fun doing that in high school.

Fun weird stuff.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Smile Re: OT -Microsofts weirdness

Here is a cool trick to do with a Windows PC. Put a Mac OSX install CD in and use the disc utility to delete the hard drive.

Go Back to forum