• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Heartland Journey (march, GCMB)

Heartland Journey (march, GCMB)

I'm just finishing up a march commission written while beta testing the Concert and Marching Band library. It's a fantastic library, and it has helped immeasurably in shaping the orchestration of the march. The working title is "Heartland Journey". I'd appreciate your thoughts on both the music and the title.

Heartland Journey March

Re: Heartland Journey (march, GCMB)

Love your march, Man. Excellent writing. Mr. Sousa would have been proud of you. Enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

My best,

Larry G. Alexander

I like your composition!

At 1.17, there I miss pianissimo played drums and cymbals.... . But this is only my suggestion.

Thanks for your great music!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very nice writing, great use of the library. I think that it is very clean all around and easy to follow. I am not sure what the intended performing leverl group this is intended for. But it should fit nicely into a good range of skill levels.

Orcas Island

Just wonderful! What a well-written work. It certainly does take the listener on a journey. I listened to it quite a few times already.

Would you mind if I include this on the CoMB web site?

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Gary, no problem putting this on the web site, although I may have an updated version later this week when the thing is put to bed.

Wilton, NH

Great march. It is well written and arranged. A lot of this has a kind of dark feel that I like. “Dark” isn’t the right word…. I can’t explain what I mean, but I do like this a lot.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hello, Dargason

I think this is the first piece posted from a Marching Band beta tester - am I right?

It's a hugely enjoyable composition, and your recording is so smooth and clean - The library is sounding simply great!

You asked for comments on the title. It's a pleasant title, though I'm not sure what you mean by it. Are you referring to the heartland of the country, or of a human?--or both? If it was intended as patriotic piece (marches tend to have that association, don't they?) - the title seemed to possibly go well with the second half of the march, - but the first half is full of drama, -does the title cover the entire picture? - Or is it a march from dark to light, in which case the title seems right? Thinking out loud.

And that reminds me of the first thought I had after listening - that it seems like this could have been two marches, melded together. With no return to the first half, - Well, it Does make for a journey, which is always a good accomplishment for a composition.

Basically, I intend to say I really enjoyed the work - the writing and the pristine recording. Thanks also for the preview of the new Marching Band library!

Randy B.

South of the Ohio River

What a true Heartland Journey it was for me in listening to your wonderful composition, Dargason. I am a retired band director and listening to your wonderful march took me back in my memories to those wonderful days when I was teaching and directing young people. Thanks, and please, please share some more of your writing with us.
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

This piece evokes feelings of someone who has been away from home, perhaps fighting a war, perhaps estranged and then decides to come home but cannot be confident they will be well received. Once they get there they are surprised that they are given a very warm reception.

I would call it something like Home At Last or Triumphant Return

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast