• Register
  • Help

Topic: Marching Band/Concert Band Online Demos

Share/Bookmark

Marching Band/Concert Band Online Demos

OK; I'll step out "on a limb." I realize we've all been waiting a long time for this product. Would anyone care to post some of their reviews of the demos? I'm curious; were these put together very very quickly? I'm a "mite" concerned about the quality of the sounds (of course, just my opinion), considering how long I've waited and how excited I was to get the library. I'd be curious to hear other folks' views.

Bill

Re: Marching Band/Concert Band Online Demos

Quote Originally Posted by CWillCalho
    OK; I'll step out "on a limb." I realize we've all been waiting a long time for this product. Would anyone care to post some of their reviews of the demos? I'm curious; were these put together very very quickly? I'm a "mite" concerned about the quality of the sounds (of course, just my opinion), considering how long I've waited and how excited I was to get the library. I'd be curious to hear other folks' views.

Bill
    Bill,

The first demos were done by some of the beta testers. Expect many more - some very very good and some not as good.

They are not polished for good reason. Please note this library was created to be a tool for arrangers and band leaders to assist in their arrangements. We don't want super-tweaked demos as we have a different philosophy. We want to present sounds in the light a wide variety of users will be accustomed to rather than just create a favorable impression. And as the world's first and only Concert and Marching Band library it is not, and never intended, to be a replacement for real musicians but as a tool and to lead people to the real thing.

Expect many more user demos to follow.

If you want to review specific demos feel free do so in the Listening Room.

Gary Garritan

I just listened to a few of the demos and am extremely pleased by what I heard. I'm very anxious for this library to arrive. I do about 60 concert band mockups each year and this product is going to fit into my routine very nicely.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Bill,

The first demos were done by some of the beta testers. Expect many more - some very very good and some not as good.

They are not polished for good reason. Please note this library was created to be a tool for arrangers and band leaders to assist in their arrangements. We don't want super-tweaked demos as we have a different philosophy. We want to present sounds in the light a wide variety of users will be accustomed to rather than just create a favorable impression. And as the world's first and only Concert and Marching Band library it is not, and never intended, to be a replacement for real musicians but as a tool and to lead people to the real thing.

Expect many more user demos to follow.

If you want to review specific demos feel free do so in the Listening Room.

Gary Garritan
    No one (especially me who is a band director/arranger/composer) would ever want this to be a replacement for real musicians and I certainly was not suggesting this. I have run into, however, publishers who will not accept, or do so reluctantly, pieces for submission unless they are live recordings (no "midi" recordings as they call them). Getting live performances can be extremely difficult and the more "realistic" the sounds the better for us all in that regard. In fact, I was very fortunate to all of a sudden get a college's summer graduate wind ensemble to record one of my pieces and had a publisher do a complete "about face" to the positive after hearing the live performance.

It is good to hear that some of these were done quickly; it'll be interesting to hear what an "ensemble" brass or woodwind section will sound like now and how much the sonority can be "tweaked." I would hope that the philosophy stated above would encompass getting the sounds as real as possible; otherwise, let's just keep "synthesizing" them.

Thanks,
    Bill

Hi, CWillCalho

I didn't realize demos of the Marching Band were up at the main Garritan site until I saw your post.

Now I've just gotten through listening - I thought they sounded fantastic! How about that "Stars and Stripes"--? Perfect demo piece for the library, and it sounded pretty near perfect to me.

What exactly are the concerns you have about what you heard? - Taking Gary up on his offer to post reviews about specific demos in the LR might be the best way to answer that. I'm just surprised that you couldn't have been impressed!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

A couple of more demos in the Listening Room.

Check out:

Franceso and DPDAN finally meet (Concert/Marching Band) by DPDan

and

Heartland Journey (march, GCMB) by Dargason

More to come...

Gary Garritan

Bill,

I am sure, if you polish all audiotracks with EQ, Compressor and so on, you will get the result for what you are looking for... .

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum