• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO playback vanished in Sibelius 4

Share/Bookmark

GPO playback vanished in Sibelius 4

I've been running Sibelius 4 on an ibook with no problem with GPO sounds working. Now, all of a sudden, I don't get any sound with play back. When I open one of the Sibelius sample documents, for instance, it plays back with a really bad windows sound set. I switch the soundsets to GPO in the mixer and it seems to load them but then the playback starts and I hear nothing! Aaargh. Sibelius' documentation is sooooo poor. I'm starting to regret this purchase. Can anyone point out what might be wrong with this picture? I've got GPO selected in the setup window...

Thanks.

Re: GPO playback vanished in Sibelius 4

Kevo
    Check your private messages on this board............I have a solution for you....I have experienced the same thing......

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Re: GPO playback vanished in Sibelius 4

Kevo
    I had the same issue not too long ago........here is what solved it for me...(a somewhat long explination, sorry)
    Let me first start off with what I have.....I have Sibelius 4.1 along with the GPO Sibelius Edition and Sonar 4 studio edition (My Sequencer / DAW).......

Ok.......you have two options.........the first you shouold do because it is what solved this issue for me....

1.Sorry to say ... but you will have to do a COMPLETE and CLEAN uninstall of both programs.......if you do not know how to do this then call the Sibelius people and they can emial you a detailed step by step guide.....1 page.....but it is very clear.....

to do this basiclsy you use your uninstaller program to remove the programs..(do NOT uninstall you scores back up file.........this file does not affect the program and if you do.........you lose your scores......forever!!!!!!! so do not do it.......just the programs!!!!!!!!!!

Then you need to go into your Registrey and delete the Sibelius and the GPO entries.......and ONLY these entries...........

Once this is done, you can then reinstall both programs, register them and then do your sound set set up........If you have done your work correctly this will take care of your problem.....or at least it did for me...........

Step 2. Now this step is if and only if you have a sequencer or DAW like Sonar, cubase etc.......and you bought the Sibelius GPO Edition
    If you have the Stand alone version (of GPO) you will not need this step!!!!!!!!!!

Go to the Sibelius help board and look for the Sibelius Updater.....if you cannot find it post a thread to Daniel@Sibelius and he will help you.....he is a very knowledgeable person about sibelius.....He helps ALOT of people there and I am sure if you reach out he will help you as well........

any way install the updater (which involves registering your new version with NI).
    What this updater does is Liberate (sort of) Sibelius GPO Edition.....However it does not make it a true stand alone version. It kind of puts it into a limbo position.....but it does put it into a position that you can now use it in your sequencer with other VST instruments and material that you may write in your DAW.....

This updater will update your Kontact player to KP2 which (so far I have had no problems) has in the past had some issues (if you look on this board you can find answers) but it has also had some updates........

anyway the bottom line would be this.........you will be able to write your music in Sibelius then export it as a midi file then you would open your sequencer and import your midi file next you will insert your KP2 VST into your sequencer and then load your instrumentation for your music.....then work on it from there......

Now this does come with Pro's and Con's...

On the Pro side working this way will give you a lot more flexability to render your music to be more convinceable and true to life sounding music......

on the Con side......It takes a lot more work!!!!!! things that are taken for granted in Sibelius are now up to you to do manually........and this is where the ART comes into play.............

Now I have been working this way for only a couple of months and I am struggling because I am at the begining of my learning curve..........However, I think as I get better with everything I think that it will be worth it in the end so I am going to perservers.......There are a lot of people on this board who work this way and it seems to really, really do well.........However there are just as many people who only work in their DAW and crank out incredable music.........So the choice is yours........You will have to do step 1 but Step 2 is an option..........

I hope this helps

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Go Back to forum