• Register
  • Help

Topic: Internet Satellite ?

Share/Bookmark

Internet Satellite ?

I am about ready to take the plunge. Dial up is ridiculously slow and discouraging, and getting slower as more people use the net and sites load the front pages more densely. It seems high speed is the only solution.

My present front runner for service is Starband, which my next door neighbor has used for 8 years. He also uses it at his office (he is a real estate broker).

Runner up is Hughesnet, but I do not know of anyone using it.

Can anyone offer comments on either of these, or other satellite system? Cost is of importance to a retired olfart. But service is also very important. It can take me forever (nearly) to upload an mp3 of 8 Mb, and larger files are very nearly impossible.

I have realized that if I discontinue my landline phone, and my current isp, and another item that causes hives, the cost will probably not be noticed except for initial equipment and installation. So it seems like a workable thing to me.

Richard

Re: Internet Satellite ?

The Netherlands aren't the same as the U.S. I have an ADSL connection with 3 Mb dowload speed and 512 Kb Upload speed. The upload could be a bit faster, because I upload more than download. For me it is quite satisfactory, unless you download every bolt and bit from the Net.

Those speeds are only met, when the line isn't too busy. The costs aren't comparable, I pay €13,10 / monthly (about $ 17,- US dollars) incl. VAT.
    The type of modem can also be different. It all depends on your provider, housing, electrical equipment in the neighbourhood, etc. but in an apartment building maybe a wireless modem can do the job (concrete walls, etc.) but I'll stick to a phone cable with an USB modem.

With wireless Internet one has to take care for breaking in your connection. My son often can use somebody else's wireless connection due to the poor safety measures of the owner. He himself has also a wireless conncetion, but really safe and sound (with routed anti-hacking, etc.).

Where are those days with max. modem speeds of 2400 baud? (or less).

Raymond

I maintain a customer's satellite internet. It is Hughes Net, which I believe is partnered with Directv. He has had no big problems with the setup.
    He even has it wireless between his house and pool house.
    I don't know what he pays.
    The speed is ok. Upload is probably slow, but better than dialup. Download is ok, but all satellites do have a high latency.

I don't know much about this next one:
    There is another one used by some of my customers, I think it is
    bluesky
    http://www.blueskysat.com/Display3.a...D=16&ItemID=75
    I heard bluesky had filled up its satellite feed and had begun to get slow.

If you could cancel your phone line, it would go a long way towards paying for the satellite.
    I live in the middle of the great outdoors, too, and can only get satellite or dialup, but I use my connection at work.

Hughes Net has a $60 plan with $300 installation cost.
    And a $80 plan with no installation cost.
    (2 year commitment)

Richard, you're only asking about satellite service because there isn't cable service in your neck of the Redwoods, I take it?

Because I zip around with Comcast cable, and I'm so spoiled with speed that I whine when the download of an MP3 takes more than 20 seconds.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy, you are right, cable is not available here, and dsl is useless.

Squoze, I presume the latency is due to the transit time/distance? I remember long ago playing with Satellite systems, sending a voice transmission through a series of satellites, and the delay was comical. But even allowing for that, nothing could be so bad as dial up.

I will also check Bluesky.

Richard

Hey Richard,

I'd suggest even if you switch to satellite, you keep your landline phone. I've known plenty of satellite/dsl/cable users, who, when there was a power outage or a bad signal, lost all phone service. But with landline, the phone is powered unless the line is physically cut.
    Best of luck,
    David Guinness

Dell P4 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2, Finale 2007c, GPO and JABB with KP2
    HP AMD 2.3Ghz Dual, 3GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, Finale 2008, GPO, JABB, Gofriller Solo Cello with KP2

Well, (as Richard would start ) Let's put it this way. If you are still using dial up you are many light years from what I am using. Smoke signals. Yeah, you heard right! Smoke signals! Hey, what do you want from the Beefalo area?
    Styxx

Richard,

Satellites are good at bandwidth and bad at latency.

This means that if you are going to download heaps, you will be happy.

If you are going to do lots of bidirectional interactive stuff you will be unhappy methinks.

I am thinking that you should be fine with it unless there is an on-line action games player lurking behind your face.

Well, I have experienced no trouble with cell phone service, which is my primary phone service. I use the land line only for internet and wrong numbers. I have had plenty of trouble with the land line. No point to keeping it if the satellite works. All I would lose in a power outage would be internet usage, which I lose now, since my computer is also taken out by a power failure. Fortunately, I have a good generator, so I can make my French Roast coffee!

I am really concerned about upload times, as uploading mp3 files to Sibelius requires considerable time, dropped connections, constant watching. If there is not significant improvement in upload, then the project is worthless. My connection speed is normally at about 44 Kbs, with transfer rate of 3.5 Kbs. That is incredibly slow, but I don't know what a realistic assessment of satellite transfer would be. I am awaiting response from a provider.

I remember years ago, that heavy rains would knock out one of my satellite stations, and probably would still be causing problems. But rains here are not that heavy, usually. I have seen tropical rains that most of you would not believe!

Go Back to forum