• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Project Sam Brass, why are they so popular ?

Share/Bookmark

Project Sam Brass, why are they so popular ?

The "Project Sam Orchestral Brass" sample library seems to be very popular, I noticed that quite a few composers that have both VSL and EWQLSO, also use Sam's Orch. Brass.

Since both VSL and EWQLSO have quite a good selection of Orch. Brass, how does Sam Orch. Brass complement VSL and EWQLSO ? are VSL and EWQLSO missing something in the brass dept. ? or is the Sam Brass just very good sounding, and a great complement to both ? Any feedback or some more detailed comments on the strengths of "Project Sam Orch. Brass" ? i.e. What makes them so popular/special ?

Thank.

Re: Project Sam Brass, why are they so popular ?

I think project sam sound like Hollywood Brass. Especially the horns.
    THey have great staccatos, great marcatos, they sound like hollywood, simply !

EWQLSO brass sound like metallic brass :/ I hate them except the trumpets .

VSL brass are weak, except Epic Horns which's the best horns library of all time. That legato... miam ! Perhaps Epic Horns are weak on the staccatos side, thats why I prefer using sam horns one.

Actually I'm really impressed with a solo French horn posted in kirk hunter page, with the livelegato feature. It sounds to me really great!

Other than that, some brass in EW are not perfect, but for now, I can live with them... After a while I will get something else (could be WIVI, or westgate, both of which have GREAT stuff in their products. Wish I could buy all)...

...hi, i tried them all ..the last one i had was Project Sam + Epic Horns....After getting WIVI i decided to sell all my brass libraries on e-bay....so that's my experience the only library that maybe i will use sometimes is Epic Horns

Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    ...hi, i tried them all ..the last one i had was Project Sam + Epic Horns....After getting WIVI i decided to sell all my brass libraries on e-bay....so that's my experience the only library that maybe i will use sometimes is Epic Horns
    That's quite an interesting comment !

Any additional feedback on how WIVI brass compares to Sam Brass ?

WIVI seems to have changed your perspective as far as Brass sample libraries are concerned, what would you say is the main reason you seem to be very impressed with WIVI's Brass ? (realistic sound/timbre, flexible articulation, character ...etc.), flexibility of the number of instruments in a section/section size, ....etc ?

As far as EWQLSO, I think the brass is very good, and quite Hollywoody in character. VSL' Epic Horns is also great. VSL's brass ... not that hollywoody, but it depends on the applicataion/taste.

Well, now I have to think a bit more carefully, should I just go for WIVI Brass, and skip Sam Brass ? or ...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by muziksculp

WIVI seems to have changed your perspective as far as Brass sample libraries are concerned, what would you say is the main reason you seem to be very impressed with WIVI's Brass ? (realistic sound/timbre, flexible articulation, character ...etc.), flexibility of the number of instruments in a section/section size, ....etc ?

As far as EWQLSO, I think the brass is very good, and quite Hollywoody in character. VSL' Epic Horns is also great. VSL's brass ... not that hollywoody, but it depends on the applicataion/taste.

Well, now I have to think a bit more carefully, should I just go for WIVI Brass, and skip Sam Brass ? or ...

Thanks.
    First thing you should do is download the WIVI demo from the bottom of this page. When evaluating it, keep it mind that the reverb can be entirely removed, so that the completely dry sound of the instrument can be processed through convolution reverb. There are also environmental presets matching the instruments to VSL, GPO, EWSO, and SAM Brass. WIVI is an incredibly deep tool, but very simple to use.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter
    VSL brass are weak, except Epic Horns which's the best horns library of all time. That legato... miam ! Perhaps Epic Horns are weak on the staccatos side, thats why I prefer using sam horns one.
    I don't agree-- I own the VI Orchestral Brass I and II, and on the whole I think the collection is very, very strong. Sometimes the legato solo instruments are a bit difficult to control though. VSL's Bass Trombone has a wonderful sound, especially the staccatos. Really adds some punch to the low brass:

www.alexdavismusic.com/BrassExample.wav

Wish I could afford SAM brass, but after buying this much VSL stuff, I'm all tapped out. (Sigh.)

-Alex

Thanks.
    Well WIVI it's another world first because it's not just samples....the sound/timbre is amazing and the great thing is that you can modify every single aspect of the instruments (vibrato, attack, portamento ..just everything!)...you can blend the instruments with almost everything or just get the dry sound...you can place them on the stage to have lets say the horns back in the left....i mean it's great...Cpu usage is ridicoulus...when i had al my ProjectSAM Brass loaded it took a lot of ram and processor ..with WIVI 2 - 3 mb of ram for instruments.... and the playability is just incredible..you have all the articulations in 1 !! Midi tracks without kewswitches ...also when you play sampled libraries you have pp-p-mf-f-ff....but with this you have pppppppp-pppppp-pppppp-pppp-ppp-pp-p-mmmmf- eheheh sorry for my english but you should really download the trail version and check out by yourself
    Francesco

Hi Francesco,

Thanks for your feedback, I will evaluate WIVI, in addition to Sam Brass.

The advantages of using WIVI that you mentioned are very important ones, and make a lot of sense, but the bottom line is How They Sound !

By the way, your English is very good !

Cheers.

Hi Francesco,

Thanks for your feedback, I will evaluate WIVI, in addition to Sam Brass.

The advantages of using WIVI that you mentioned are very important ones, and make a lot of sense, but the bottom line is How They Sound !

By the way, your English is very good !

Cheers.

eheh thanks ....remember that with a breath controller you will have an easier life playing WIVI but i'm just experimenting today that works great even with an expression Pedal bye have fun !

Go Back to forum