• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: A Couple of Quick Announcements

Share/Bookmark

OT: A Couple of Quick Announcements

Hey everyone,

I thought I would tell you guys what's new for me and my family. These are the reasons why I have not been around lately and why I've let the 20th Century Music Course go slack. Sorry.

First, I just got hired by Ohio Northern University in Ada, Ohio, to take over their Composition and Electronic Music classes. I am an alumni of ONU, so it is a bit weird being on the other side of the fence so to speak, but at least all the people there know me and know what I can do. So, that's good. It's only an adjunct position right now, but it's a foot in the door.

I am still teaching Electronic Music and Composition at Muskingum College in New Concord, Ohio as well. Once again, it's only adjunct.

A little while back, Jamie Kowalski announced that he had been hired by Jack de Mello. I wasn't going to announce this here because I know some people would have really like to get the gig, but I also was hired to work as an orchestrator/arranger/composer for Jack de Mello.

Jack has released over 150 albums and has written music for all of the major orchestras in the world. He was also under contract with Hanna Barbara and wrote music for all of their big shows (ie. The Flintsones, The Jetsons, Magilla Gorilla, etc) This is a huge opportunity for me and I would really like to thank Gary for all that he has done to help promote me and my work.

A few other things that are in the works. I recieved (tentatively) a commision to write an orchestral tone poem for an orchestra in Mexico (I can't remember the name right now.) This one is still up in the air. I'll keep you folks informed.

I have two new short films that will be scored in the next few months. One is a new take on an old favorite The Tale Tell Heart and the other is a comedy called Getting There. Both are written and directed by my partner, Jeff Yanik.

A film that I scored over the summer called Eclipse will be shown in Philadelphia next month. I'll let you know more about when. It has also been entered into the Sundance Festival and will be entered into a few other festivals.

Lastly, I'm about to jump back into school and go after my PhD. I'm looking for the correct program that can fit my hectic and erratic schedule.
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: A Couple of Quick Announcements

So..... What are you going to do with your SPARE time?

Congrats on all the good things in your life right now. Sounds like you have your foot in multiple doors. I hope all goes well for you.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Jonny,

when do you sleep????

Best Regards and all the Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

It must be boring to have so little to do...

Thanks for sharing all this with us. It all sounds great.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: OT: A Couple of Quick Announcements

That's great news Jonny, hope all goes well and also that you find time to get rest between the acts. The Mexico thing sounds interesting, can't wait to hear more. Some latino tone in that tone poem? Okay don't answer that, i'll wait until you can share.

...and to think I knew you when...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments. I really do have alot going on. Luckily, I have mild insomnia and don't require a whole lot of sleep.

My day usually begins around 5:30 am and ends about 11 or 12. Long days, but I get stuff done.

When I get spare time, I like to just watch movies and hang out with my wife and son. We usually spend the time cleaning stuff off of our TIVO system. God bless technolgy!!

I'll be sure to let you know more when I do.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Your friend,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum