• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Long Lane Mckane (jabb jazz)

Share/Bookmark

Long Lane Mckane (jabb jazz)

I was thinking about something that might be used for a tv show or a film. Long Lane Mckane is a tall, lanky, fictitious private eye. He is a very likable character, but maybe a little bit on the shady side. I thought this might work behind the credits or something. It is a 'non swinging' jazz quartet using piano, bass, drums and vibraphone. Give it a listen and tell me what you think.
    Thanks -Jay

www.katejesse.com/mckane.mp3

Re: Long Lane Mckane (jabb jazz)

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I was thinking about something that might be used for a tv show or a film. Long Lane Mckane is a tall, lanky, fictitious private eye. He is a very likable character, but maybe a little bit on the shady side. I thought this might work behind the credits or something. It is a 'non swinging' jazz quartet using piano, bass, drums and vibraphone. Give it a listen and tell me what you think.
    Thanks -Jay

www.katejesse.com/mckane.mp3
    That's very nice, Mr. Jay. It's sorta Pink Pantherish.

You have created a smooth, enjoyable sound. Way to go!

I like your Maj. 7 + 9 ending.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I really like this. It has a great sound. There is one thing – at the very beginning for a short time there is a percussion instrument, it sounds almost like a triangle, that is a little loud in the mix. It comes back again in the middle for just a couple of measures. Besides this, the composition and mix both sound great.
    Trent P. McDonald

Larry, thanks a bunch. The ending chord can be defined a lot of different ways I suppose. I was thinking of a polytonal harmony, DMaj add 9 over a Gm chord. It seems to have that P.I sound to it. As always, I thank you for listening and commenting.

Trent, you are exactly correct. It is a triangle played open and then muted. It could very well be to hot in the mix. I will revisit it. I am glad that you liked this.
    -Jay

WOW! Very great, Jay!

I am a jazzman when ever I can (life on stage) and I like it very much what you did here! Great sound! Well done!

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Really nice, Jay! Superb JABB recording of a fun, breezy theme song. If you re-visit the mix like you said you might do, really listen for yourself if you think anything is off - because for my ears, nothing is.

Thanks for the great track!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    If you re-visit the mix like you said you might do, really listen for yourself if you think anything is off - because for my ears, nothing is.
    That’s weird… Maybe something with my speakers. I can turn the volume down to the point that all I can hear is the triangle and it is still loud. At normal listening volume it is painful. This is the only time I’ve listen to anything that was actually physically painful on these speakers (I don’t play that loud). There are just 7 double hits at the beginning and 7 in the middle. The part sounds right, just too hot for my speakers. Rest of the mix sounds perfect.

Anyway, since nobody else seems to notice, it must be my system….
    Trent P. McDonald

I don't hear any triangles?

What I hear is a very nice mellow vibes piece, Jay. Very relaxing, cool!

Good writing and presentation.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    I don't hear any triangles?
    Oops...,
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hey, Jay - pardon the side-discussion on your thread. It Is about your mix, so I think it's OK?

Trent, I hope you get it that my reply to Jay re: his mix for "Long Lane" wasn't meant as indirect criticism of your earlier reply. I can hear your perplexity in the new reply you put up, and it made me want to come back here to say that Yeah! - it can be surprising how the same mix, the same Anything can strike different people in such different ways. But that's the way things are.

No need to worry about your ears, your perceptions, your speakers et al - even if we were all listening with precisely the same playback system, we would never agree on the attributes, negative and positive both, of a given iece.

Maybe Jay will take a listen and decide to adjust his Triangle in the mix. It's definitely Right There, I'm not saying it's soft, it just happened to work for me - it didn't seem like something which needs adjusting.

But this is perhaps a perfect example of why feedback of Any sort the people get about their compositions, their mixing choices, their use of instruments, their arranging skills - none of that feedback can be taken as Gospel. It's simply the way a particular person hears a piece, and it can never be more than a unique, subjective reaction.

That's why we must take all feedback which is offering ideas for changes with the proverbial grain of salt. Change something based on someone's reaction? Only with extremely careful consideration.

I've been told that a recording of mine has sections where the instruments are so out of tune it sounds like an amateur school band with musicians just learning their instruments. Hmmm, well, it all sounds in tune to me. But this feedback also includes the opinion that pieces done with certain sound libraries are Always out of tune, because the samples themselves aren't in tune. - Now, if that's even true, what could I possibly do about it? - But most apropos to this particular piece of feedback - there's nothing I could do to accomodate that person's opinion, because I can't hear the same detunedness that he does - I would have no idea what to edit. That's an extreme example of critique being well intended but impossible to satisfy.

One more thing - because of the above, I feel people offering criticism need to not get into the unproductive habit of feeling miffed if someone hasn't incorporated their feedback. Recently on the Forums, I saw a post from someone who seemed offended that someone hadn't changed their recording based on the criticism this person had offered. Good heavens - When we offer criticism, we can never lose track of the fact that is just our own personal opinion.

And, so forth.

Thanks again for the nice piece, Jay! Re-mix it, keep it as it is, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast