• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: F Sharp minor Cello Sonata

Share/Bookmark

F Sharp minor Cello Sonata (REVISED)

Over the last two days I have started and completed what will be the third movemet of a Cello Sonata. Wednesday morning about 1:00 AM I truned on the digital piano, sat down, put on the headphones and immediately began playing the first six measures of what has now become the opening statement of my first Cello Sonata. From measures seven to the end was conceived in Finale using my cordless optical mouse. The opning statement is repeated without variations. This is GPO Steinway and solo cello. I took about 12 collective hours to write this piece. It is by far the most satifying composition I have written to date. This is another of those "cup throwing" compositions.

I hope those of you who have taken the time to listen will enjoy this.

You will need to click on the link for my MySpace and select the F Sharp minor Cello Sonata.
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 08-31-2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Additions
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Re: F Sharp minor Cello Sonata

Quite powerful piano playing and a very energetic piece. Only problem I had was not hearing any Cello. Maybe it's my old ears. I went to your web page on myspace and clicked on the title "F Sharp minor Cello Sonata" and that is what was listed in the player as it played, but for the life of me, I could not hear any Cello.

Anyway, the piece I heard was very dramatic and powerful. My piano chops are not very good but my arms felt tired just listening.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi, Samantha

I'm glad you included information about the creation of this piece. You described the kind of burst of activity that I imagine all of us here can enjoy living through vicariously with you - Sitting down, having a good idea quickly emerge, and then having the piece fully emerge so quickly - in just two days in this case. Fast, inspired work!

You certainly got a lot of energetic but brooding power out of that F# chord. A certain restlessness as well as a rather grand sounding threatening mood both make themselves clear from the very onset of the piece.

SIDE NOTE TO RICHR: You Had to be listening to the wrong piece. In the player in the upper right hand corner of her page there's a player with several pieces in it. You have to make sure you choose the right one, especially if the first piece starts playing automatically when you get there. Because while there are passages where the Cello is blending in concert with the piano, for most of the recording, it is Very forward and solid in the mix, towards the right. If you're hearing the right piece, you simply can't miss the Cello.

Samantha, it sounds to me like you're automating the volume slider quite a bit throughout this? Beyond the piano's MIDI volume as determined by velocity, I feel the audio channel fader is moving too broadly and suddenly. In the opening minute, there's an unnatural pumping to the piano's sound where I think I'm hearing the volume slider moving up and down. Then, later in the piece, I feel that the dynamic range is just too broad, with the sound almost disappearing, then suddenly popping back on at a loud volume.

That's a tricky thing - to get the dramatic contrasts in volume we want without making the range So huge that it sounds Too broad on playback. A recording can't actually duplicate the gigantic range of volume dynamics that can be achieved in a live performance.

Also, on the piano's line, the passages where it does the quickly ascending series of chords, it sounds overly quantized to me. I would try going into a visual editing window and changing the onsets of some notes so that the chords aren't so perfectly played for those sections.

The Cello's line was very passionate. And the simple panning decision of having it a bit to the right, with the piano to the left, that worked very well. Reverb-wise, it sounded like the Cello was Much dryer than the piano. I think perhaps they would have approximately equal amounts of reverb - In a live situation they would be placed the same distance from the listener, and that would probably work best in a recording too.

Thanks for sharing your new work! Maybe some of the technical feedback above will make some sense to you, just try it on for size.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

It must be that invisible problem associated with another message.

At myspace.com, there are 4 selections I chose the selection entitled: "F Sharp Minor Cello...". All hear is piano, so either my system doesn't like the sound of cello or a black hole has removed it. I listened to each piece, they are all different, but no cello.

I'd love to hear it though.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

--Rich!--That is so odd. The Cello is Very prominent in this recording. There must be something wrong with the way your system is currently set up. Weird theory - could you possibly be listening monophonically and only to the left channel? ---Don't know what to tell you, but I KNow if you were hearing Samantha's piece normally, the Cello would be as hard to miss as an elephant in your living room would be!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Rich, I just tried to listen to the piece on my twenty plus years old Sony 10 disk CD Player hooked up to a Denon receiver and there was no cello. I listened to it just prior to that on a $40 CD player and the cello came through. I now listening to it played throught the computer that it was created on and the cello came through just as rbowser explained.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Samantha,

this is great piano and Cello playing! The piano is very aggresive sometimes, but at least it is a good composition. I like it!

Rich: The Chello is strange mixed on the right side, the piano on the left. So, perhaps you only listen to the left channel?

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I think this was very well done and I enjoy your music a lot. I have often created pieces the exact way you have described.

I listen using headphones all the time and thru this thread haved realized I wear them backwards. But they feel better that way.

Vibrant, passionate, driving piano work in this, Samantha;
    very compelling!

Technically, I would suggest not having the players practically
    in different rooms... lol. In a real hall, though the 'cellist might
    be to the right and the pianist to the left, a goodly amount of
    "mixing in the room" takes place. In the Finale mixer, try perhaps
    10 o'clock left and 2 o'clock right or so. That'll give it a more
    natural sound, whilst still maintaining the sense of position.

Nice job on this, Sam, this is really shaping up!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I also feel like the musicians are in two practice rooms performing the piece. lol. I have tried to make several improvements on the sound quality and I hve revised the ending, which I think your will really enjoy.

I need some help here guys. In the Finae instrument list I have both instruments set at 40. I really not knowledgeable about pan and setting up the instruments myself.

The following is how I have this file set up: I clicked on the "cog" ("Instrument Options") wheel and under "Controller" I've unchecked "Accept standard controllers for Volume and Pan" The Pitchbend is set 12 (I did not set this). The cello volume slider is set to (-1.3dB. The piano volume slider is set to (-4.7 dB).

In the Instrument List, Pan was set to 40 for both instruments. David I changed left to 10 o'clock (31) and right to 2 o'oclock (100). Although I think that the mixer is disabled when Accept standard controllers for volume and pan is unchecked in Instrument Options. The volume slider in the mixer does not affect the volume levels.

In the "outputs," ("st.1"), the one on the left the volume slider is set to (-2.7dB). ("st.2"), the one in the middle the volume slider is set to (-2.1 dB), and ("surr.5.1") third from the left is set to (-0.6dB). In st.1, from the top from the dropdown list I have selected the first space reverb. In the second one I have selected reverb. In the third one I have selected 3x2 versatile. In the fourth I have selected 3-band EQ. st.2 and surr.5.1 also have the same settings. Aux 1,2,3 & 4 are as follows:
    Aux 1. the slider is set to (-2.5); Aux 2. the slider is set to (-2.8); Aux 3. the slider is set to (-2.4) and Aux 4. the slider is set to (-1.0). From top to bottom in the dropdown lists I have selected: reverb, convolution, stereo modeller and 3-band EQ.

I have been experiment with these features trying to learn how these features in GPO KP2 can be used to enhance the recorded quality of the sounds.

David, I updated piece in the post on my MySpace prior to reading your post. It does not have the 10 and 2 o'clock settings you suggested, but the Pan setting of 40. Please listen to it and tell me if I have made improvements in the recorded side of this piece. In the document I have reset the clock, so to speak and I can tell the difference. The instruments are still split between right and left in my earphones. Cello in the left and piano in the right. I have also greately enhanced the articulations and expressions and I certainly can hear the overall improvements.
    Samantha Penigar

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast