• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pedal?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Pedal?

Hi,

At the moment i use sibelius 4 and GPO and have reads loads of post that talk about using a midi pedal for sustain and key switches.
    What sort of pedal do i need (can i use an old keyboard pedal?) and how does it connect to my computer?
    Also how do i set it for KS.

Dan

Re: Pedal?

Typically a sustain pedal will be used with a keyboard or midi controller which have a 1/4" jack on them for this purpose. The keyboard then passes the midi information to the PC via a midi cable or USB and then into the software.
    I haven't heard much about using a pedal for KS, but it would certainly be possible with a midi pedal board (an example linked below). You could use this for the sustain function too.
    http://www.behringer.com/FCB1010/index.cfm?lang=eng
    As for hooking it up, you would need a joystick port midi adaptor if you didn't have any other midi interface on your system.
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Typically a sustain pedal will be used with a keyboard or midi controller which have a 1/4" jack on them for this purpose. The keyboard then passes the midi information to the PC via a midi cable or USB and then into the software.
    You can use an old keyboard pedal but you need the jack which, as mentioned ,is typically on a keyboard although I have seen midi control surfaces with a sustain jack on them.
    I haven't heard much about using a pedal for KS, but it would certainly be possible with a midi pedal board (an example linked below). You could use this for the sustain function too.
    As for hooking it up, you would need a joystick port or USB midi adaptor if you didn't have any other midi interface on your system.
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

You can use an old keyboard pedal but you need the jack which, as mentioned ,is typically on a keyboard although I have seen midi control surfaces with a sustain jack on them.
    As for hooking it up, you would need a joystick port or USB midi adaptor if you didn't have any other midi interface on your system.

Quote Originally Posted by chesterdesmond
    Hi chesterdesmond,

Thanks for the help i understand it a better know

Dan

Of course you do.. I said it 3 times!
    Glad to help.

Go Back to forum