• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Beware the Dreams" and "It's All Very Sad" - from DORIAN

"Beware the Dreams" and "It's All Very Sad" - from DORIAN

Dorian has decided to beg Sibyl for forgiveness. But his mentor Lord Henry arrives with the news that Sibyl has killed herself.

Through Dorian's imagination, the audience sees Sibyl's final moments. Still dressed as Juliet, in the wake of Dorian's devastating rejection of her, Sibyl uses her knife from "Romeo and Juliet" to take her own life.

Henry proceeds to tell Dorian that he must think of the girl's suicide objectively, and see it as a beautifully tragic scene, one which can actually be appreciated in artistic terms. By the end of Henry's heartless philosophizing, Dorian agrees that it's all very sad but that the important thing is that he's had an interesting experience in having someone kill herself over him. "There's a beauty surrounding her untimely death."

Sibyl's brief and poignant song, "Beware The Dreams" is suggestive of Sibyl's Victorian delicacy. At the end, she re-states her romantic faith in love first expressed in "Into The Sun." Then, quoting Shakespeare's dialogue for Juliet, she plunges the knife into her chest. Here is her single page vocal score:
    "It's All Very Sad" is Henry's effective lecture to Dorian about how all of life's tragedies should be appreciated in artistic terms, with the aloof viewpoint of an observer who considers the entire pageant of life as a spectacle being performed for his personal enjoyment.

On stage, during the latter half of the song, in the background there is a bizarre ballet of silhouetted figures enacting abductions, fights and stabbings. Henry and Dorian drink the sights in with horrifyingly detached pleasure.

"...One should absorb the colors of life
    Ignoring its details which always are rife with vulgarity..."

As with this entire sound track for the show, GPO is the main sound source. Additional instruments include the Casio CZ 1000, Korg X5DR, Yamaha FB-01, and sundry free soft-synths. It was recorded in Sonar Home Studio, and mastered in Sound Forge.

In "Beware" The Strad is playing along with the vocal line, in a rare colla voce passage of the show's score.

Randy B.

Re: "Beware the Dreams" and "It's All Very Sad" - from DORIAN

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

As with this entire sound track for the show, GPO is the main sound source. Additional instruments include the Casio CZ 1000, Korg X5DR, Yamaha FB-01, and sundry free soft-synths. It was recorded in Sonar Home Studio, and mastered in Sound Forge.

In "Beware" The Strad is playing along with the vocal line, in a rare colla voce passage of the show's score.

Randy B.
    Very well done, my friend!

As I said in many other threads, I like your alive playing!

Randy, in the 80`s I was a programmer for Casio Sounds. This Synthesizer was and is very great. If you are interested, I can send you some sounds from my programming.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: "Beware the Dreams" and "It's All Very Sad" - from DORIAN

Excellent work, Randy! It is award worthy and i hope that happens for you, for your work on this show. Very colorful rendering which captures the odd irony of this scene very well.

five stars and two thumbs-up!

Wilton, NH

Hi Randy,

As usual I really enjoyed the latest installment of Dorian. I’d really love to hear it with voices or, better yet, see it acted out. Oh well, I doubt if I will make it to the West Coast for the premier. Having the strad double the vocals for “Beware…” was great because it made it very easy to put the words to music.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks, Gunther! - And VERY cool info, that you were a Casio programmer! You bet I'd love to see some of your programming for the CZ-100 - 1000. I still know how to push the buttons to program it - Actually, I've recently added a CZ librarian program where I can input the data. Use my email addy on my name. Looking forward to that! The CZ can still provide completely unique sounds to projects, for sure.

David "Leaf" (you're NOt invisible--hehe) - Wow, 5 stars and 2 thumbs up. I'll take that any day, thanks!

And Trent, you're such a loyal listener also - I really appreciate that. I get a bit wary of bombarding the Forum with all these "Dorian" posts, that's one reason I've sprinkled them out all through the year. But it's too much fun to slowly unveil the show this way for the people who are into it, like you.

I really wish you could hear vocals with these too, since they're all instrumental backing tracks. That's why on two key songs so far I've posted vocal versions, and there's at least one more I'll be posting like that. I might even give it a whirl and whip up a vocal demo for the song that follows this.

Thank you all, gents!

Randy B.

I'm with David (the non-invisible Leaf) on this one... five stars
    and thumbs up!

And I find myself again, as with my post a few minutes ago in
    another of your threads, rolling luxuriously in the writing... lol!

I've got a harder and harder time thinking of this as a musical
    at all... more like a modern opera, to me...

My best,

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Another fine installament (two actually) of Dorian. I am waiting for the applause track to be added and the sound of rushing air from the bowing It's very neat to hear the production unfolding, remote as it is.

With all the current excitement about the fantastic debut of the Marching Band library, I'm wishing I had something to offer along those lines - but alas, it will be awhile before I'm able to add that latest Garritan miracle to my arsenal.

So in the meantime, I want to thank you Gary Bric, for enjoying this slowly unfolding, serialized version of my musical. You've given me an idea--when I finally post the ending of the show, I should add applause to the track--in anticipation of the applause we'll be getting next year when the premiere goes up.

David "Et Lux" -I'm glad you caught the installment previous to this, "Dorian's Dilemma" - Rather than boosting both of my posts, I want to reply and thank you here in this one more current thread.

All of us here have grown to deeply appreciate your focused attention to what you hear, and your facile way of expressing your reactions. It's always such a pleasure to read your responses to posts--and especially our own!

In both your replies, here on this thread, and the "Dilemma" thread, you hit a nail right on the head - a subject I've touched on and danced around throughout these "Dorian" posts which have been sprinkled over the months:

-I refer to the piece as "a musical" and the theatre hosting the premiere next year want to use the designation "musical" because it's mainstream, and will attract the most customers. "Phantom of the Opera" is a musical, "Les Miserables" is a musical - people have an idea of what you're talking about when you use that term, "musical" - or at least they make an assumption regarding what you're talking about.

But even though modern musicals have broadened their own definition and they're certainly not as formulaic as in the days of "Oklahoma" and "Pal Joey," I've always considered "Dorian" as something which would still be too "beyond the pale" in the eyes of both Broadway producers and the Great White Way's patrons. Maybe I'm wrong - but I'm not so sure it would be an easy sell at all in that market.

There is a somewhat succesful musicalization of "Dracula." The composer was so frustrated by the drastic cuts and changes the producing team made (all in the interest of making the piece more "commercial") that the composer stuck his neck out and produced his own cast album which includes the full score as he originally wrote it. That's how unhappy he is with what he considers the butchered version being done on stage. --That could be me if "Dorian" was picked up by producers intent on making it into their perception of a theatre "product." I am rather sure it would undergo distressing revisions.

I dare say that "Dorian" is more in the realm of Opera- Albeit a simpler, modern, more pop-oriented Opera, but still more "difficult" and less tune-driven than what is still typically seen in New York, and structurally indeed more like Operas which were as much an inspiration to me as great Broadway shows. - But then, early prog rock groups like Procol Harum and Emerson, Lake and Palmer are also big influences.

That's why I've said that I think of University Theatres, regional theatres - the venues for theatre all over the country, which do nurture works outside of the normal commercial realm--I think of those as the places where my show will be done, sooner than on those particular few blocks in New York City.

You excited me when you said the "O" word (--um Opera--stay on topic folks - hehe) because that really is a more accurate description to what I wrote. I know that trained, operatic singers will have the most success with my difficult vocal score - but I'll have to wait for the pleasure of hearing those kind of singers working with the score. Trained opera singers are rather scarce here in Salem, Oregon.

And so on.

"Dorian" is "a work for theatre with music." It's "a pop-opera." It's "a portrait in music." It's "the musical impression of a novel."

There have been many brilliant innovators pushing the boundaries of what "musical theatre" can be. And I may have placed myself outside even some of the newest boundaries.

But - "Dorian" is what it is. Whatever it is.

I have this conviction which keeps me moving forward with the project - that there Is an audience for it out there. Whatever size that audience may be, I know there's an audience. I'm anxious for them to have the opportunity to discover it. Maybe they'll be people inclined to enjoy Opera - but maybe they'll be people who've never even seen a musical. They'll just be people that this particular Thing grabs them for whatever reason.

Thank you both very much for your wonderful replies.

Randy B.

Randy--as usual--very impressive and a thought-provoking listen. I liked the dramatic swelling and adding of layers with 45secs-1minute left. There was a nice impressionistic sounding string part in around that time also. I really hope to hear this with a live orchestra one day.

While it sounds completely different--your music reminds me of Schuman for 2 reasons: (1) It is very 'active' -- there is always a great deal going on and--moreso--(2) You can suddenly change from deranged to happy seamlessly. The last movement of Schumann's Carnival does that--one moment upbeat--then suddenly tragic--and then back to crazy/happy. Spontaneous bipolarity! It's quite cool and very powerful

Have you ever heard of Michael Kowalski. He's one of my friends and has written a few chamber operas performed by the PostIndustrial Players. Both of you could lead opera into new and exciting directions

Fine writing, Brother Bowser. I like your frequent change of tone colors and rhythm. It's one of the marks of a skilled, imaginative composer.

Live long and prosper!

Larry G. Alexander

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast