• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Haydn - Trumpet Concerto In Eb - Complete

Share/Bookmark

Haydn - Trumpet Concerto In Eb - Complete

Franz Joseph Haydn composed the "Trumpet Concerto In Eb" in 1796 for the Viennese trumpeter, Anton Weidinger, the inventor of the valved trumpet. The premier performance was well received, not only because of the quality of the composition, but also because it was the first time that the audience had heard a trumpet play a chromatic scale.

Here the complete concerto is rendered entirely in Finale 2006 using the GPO instruments as follows;

Flute Plr 1
    Modern Oboe Plr 1
    Bassoon Plr 1
    French Horn Plr 1
    Tenor Trombone Plr 1
    Trumpet 1 Solo (soloist voice)
    Timpani
    Violins 1 Sus + Short
    Violins 2 Sus + Short & Short Bow & Pizzicato
    Violas Sus + Short & Short Bow & Pizzicato
    Cellos Sus + Short & Short Bow & Pizzicato
    Basses Sus + Short & Short Bow & Pizzicato

The trumpet solo music that I found had amazingly few markings with respect to dynamics and phrasing so all of the phrasing and dynamics was tailored for this rendering, shaping it as if I were playing the solo part. As one might imagine with the notation program I had to do a considerable amount of work to control the tempi changes and dynamics. I also created a set of vibrato controls for the solo trumpet to give some body during sustained notes that otherwise would sound rather lifeless without it. The cadenzas used are by Jay Lichtmann.

I dedicate this performance to Gary Garritan, who had the insight and drive to create practical sounds libraries, without it this performance would not be possible.

Movement I. - Allegro

http://www.box.net/shared/gdnbzfmmgf

Movement II. - Andante

http://www.box.net/shared/53i8u7k9aa

Movement III. - Allegro

http://www.box.net/shared/6gzbubaf88

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Haydn - Trumpet Concerto In Eb - Complete

Hi, Gary

--Wow, The Listening Room has really been moving fast the last day or so. I was amazed to see your post already on page two still without replies.

Well, it IS a fair amount of music to have on one post, but of course to put the 3 movements on this one thread was logical. It might have seemed daunting to some visitors, however.

SO lovingly re-created by you, Gary - This sublime music sounds wonderful under your guidance.

I Know I've never heard the GPO Trumpet sounding better. The attention you gave to its performance and programming really paid off in spades.

I thought perhaps your Trumpet soloist was just a bit Too much in the spotlight, as in hogging the sound space? - But it's not as if I've listened to a CD of this Concerto recently. Maybe you worked with a reference recording that had the soloist this much farther front than the orchestra. It Does sound nice - I just kept wanting to hear the rest of the band more!

Your dedication and sensitive craftsmanship is so impressive in these recordings, Gary. Thanks for letting us hear.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy,

Thanks for visiting and taking a listen to the Haydn. It is one of the great examples of orchestral magic and the opportunity for a soloist to shine. Even heard it performed on a rotary valved trombone once! But that is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Gary

--Wow, The Listening Room has really been moving fast the last day or so. I was amazed to see your post already on page two still without replies.

Well, it IS a fair amount of music to have on one post, but of course to put the 3 movements on this one thread was logical. It might have seemed daunting to some visitors, however.
    True but the only logical way to post it. I prefer to put the pieces out all at once instead of making listeners wait for the next installment. I posted the first movement as an experience earliet in the week. Now it is complete here.

SO lovingly re-created by you, Gary - This sublime music sounds wonderful under your guidance.

I Know I've never heard the GPO Trumpet sounding better. The attention you gave to its performance and programming really paid off in spades.
    It was absolutely necessary to shape the soloist as well as make sure that all of the score markings in were in place for the orchestra as well. The soloist part was devoid of an markings to allow the performer and the conductor to work out their desired outcome. I shaped it with just enough dynamics to make it interesting and a little vibrato to sweeten up the trumpet without going overboard. It is an easy instrument to work with. But it does need to be handled with care to get the most out of it.

I thought perhaps your Trumpet soloist was just a bit Too much in the spotlight, as in hogging the sound space? - But it's not as if I've listened to a CD of this Concerto recently. Maybe you worked with a reference recording that had the soloist this much farther front than the orchestra. It Does sound nice - I just kept wanting to hear the rest of the band more!
    This is always a problem, balancing the soloist with the orchestra as well as much as it is with the individual instruments on the orchestra. It is a matter of personal preference as I have heard it live and recorded. It's a little tricky to keep it out front in some of the passages with low dynamics. But otherwise I am pleased with the outcome.

Your dedication and sensitive craftsmanship is so impressive in these recordings, Gary. Thanks for letting us hear.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks again Randy for your kind comments. I enjoy listening to the unfolding of Dorian here in the forum as well. I hope others will visit and comment on this as well.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Well, that was one of the selections on my senior recital so very many years ago - and I do not recall my rendition being nearly as fine.

Excellent work!

Hello Gary,

Thank you for posting this wonderful composition. I am very familiar with this work, having directed this myself during my music college days and I have a number of recordings principally amongst which played by that authority on early trumpet music, Crispian Steele-Perkins whom I have met and discussed early trumpet music. I have to say your rendition is excellent. I have listened to a large section of your effort and will listen to the rest later.

At the outset may I say a HUGE thank you for the tempo you have wisely chosen for the first movement. Sooo often I hear early works played far too fast; it seems to be a modern day tendency to gallop along whatever. As I say, I shall listen in on the rest later and I hope you have continued with your wise tempo settings.

I must say, I think your trumpet solo is wonderful and, obviously, very carefully and lovingly crafted; your trills and other articulations are performed beautifully. In fact I think your trumpet solo is the strength of this work. For me, personally, the strings are not quite as strong as your soloist and, I feel, these could do with a little more attention to their bowings and articulations. I also agree with Randy regarding the balance of soloist and orchestra.

These are just my own personal observations of course and I really have to complement you on your substantial effort.

Once again thank you for posting this, it really is excellent, particularly your trumpet soloist. The care, love and attention for your instrument shines through and is a real pleasure to listen to.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Gary,

what a great work you did! Tons of hours working time, I think.

I enjoyed it very much! A true hearing benefit!

I agree with Michael and Randy for this and that.... .

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis
    Well, that was one of the selections on my senior recital so very many years ago - and I do not recall my rendition being nearly as fine.

Excellent work!
    Tom,

Thanks for listening to it and your kind comments...bowing humbly with my virtual trumpet.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Hello Gary,

Thank you for posting this wonderful composition. I am very familiar with this work, having directed this myself during my music college days and I have a number of recordings principally amongst which played by that authority on early trumpet music, Crispian Steele-Perkins whom I have met and discussed early trumpet music. I have to say your rendition is excellent. I have listened to a large section of your effort and will listen to the rest later.
    Thanks Michael. It is an absolutely wonderful work in the first place. It is so full of life and joy. And this rendering was an attempt to see how far I could push the GPO instruments into a realistic performance. I find the trumpet very easy to work with, it almost plays itself. I just did some basic shaping for the dynamics and articulation thinking in terms as if I were performing it. And then sweetened it up a little bit with some tastefully placed vibrato.

At the outset may I say a HUGE thank you for the tempo you have wisely chosen for the first movement. Sooo often I hear early works played far too fast; it seems to be a modern day tendency to gallop along whatever. As I say, I shall listen in on the rest later and I hope you have continued with your wise tempo settings.
    I agree. I have two score that I obtained from the net and neither one suggests any tempo other than "Allegro - Adagio - Allegro". This is set pretty close to what I remember hearing and it seemed like a very natural tempo. the 1st and 3rd movements are almost identical in tempo, 120 vs 125 respectively.

I don't understand the urge or the need to rush through a performance. It looses something or gets sloppy. I have to image that some of the recorded performance tempi may be partly driven by the economics of the production. The best musicians I have heard make it sound so natural, effortless, almost surreal in the sense that they are chewing through an immense amount of music and they don't even appear to work up a sweat!! But it is simply never rushed, never sloppy and always wonderful.

I must say, I think your trumpet solo is wonderful and, obviously, very carefully and lovingly crafted; your trills and other articulations are performed beautifully. In fact I think your trumpet solo is the strength of this work. For me, personally, the strings are not quite as strong as your soloist and, I feel, these could do with a little more attention to their bowings and articulations. I also agree with Randy regarding the balance of soloist and orchestra.
    A couple of points I will put out there. The two scores that I have are very sparce in their markings. So I did my best to articulate the insturments, especially the strings as I felt would do the work justice. I am not a string player so the bowing is at best my attempt to make the instrument fit the mode of the music and the articulation of the moment. Of course bowing is a very personal and exact art to the real string players. And I would dare not suggest that I got it right. The brass and winds however, I think I do understand.

As far as balance goes, again, it is a tricky thing to get the soloist at the proper levels for the performance and in relationship to the orchestra. I can take another look at it to see if there is a better way to do it.

These are just my own personal observations of course and I really have to complement you on your substantial effort.

Once again thank you for posting this, it really is excellent, particularly your trumpet soloist. The care, love and attention for your instrument shines through and is a real pleasure to listen to.
    Your comments are much appreciated and I am glad that to this point you here pleased with what you heard. Hopefully the same will be true with the rest of it when you get around to listening to it.

Gary

www.garybricaut.com

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Gary,

what a great work you did! Tons of hours working time, I think.

I enjoyed it very much! A true hearing benefit!

I agree with Michael and Randy for this and that.... .

Best

Gunther
    Hi Gunther,

I am glad that you enjoyed it. I truely enjoyed producing this work into GPO. Yes it was a lot of work, over 30 pages of orchestral score plus the soloist. And a lot of work articulating it and the solo trumpet. But I am extremely pleased with the result very happy to share it here in the forum.

Thanks so much for listening and posting your comments.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hey Gary,

And... back for movements II & III... sorry, didn't notice you had
    them all in one post, now... lol.

Again, I've got to compliment some of the trumpet nuances in this.

On balance, I think III is much more toward the mark, though I
    still would say the orchestra is a bit too subservient throughout --
    at least for my personal tastes.

I wonder if this might have something to do with how one is
    listening -- ? I'm on headphones at the moment, rather than the
    studio monitors, and that may well be a factor in making, to me,
    the trumpet a little too dominant in the mix.

In any event, regardless of minor technical quibbles, quite an
    undertaking -- well done!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast