• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piccolo Trumpet - notation issue

Share/Bookmark

Piccolo Trumpet - notation issue

A piccolo flute is notated as a normal flute, but onyl sounds one octave higher. How about a piccolo trumpet? Can I notate that also as normal trumpet, expecting that the sound is one octave higher? Remember I write scores in "Concert Pitch", easier for me to recognize the overall harmony.

I searched thru my orchestration books, but couldn't find just thát fact.

Thanks in advance

Raymond

Re: Piccolo Trumpet - notation issue

Hi Raymond,
    There are several varieties of piccolo trumpets, the most common of them in Bb and A. Often this is actually one horn with two different sets of tubing. I suppose the soprano bugle (in G) could also fall into the category.

There is no additional notation except for "To Piccolo trumpet (in A or Bb)" and, yes the pitches come out sounding an octave higher than if they were played on the larger horn (in A or Bb). The piccolo trumpet is usually used on Bach or baroque music either to replace instruments such as the Clarino or because there is sustained playing in the very high register. The tone of a pic is much thinner and does not project as well as its Bb and C cousins. This is due to the much smaller bell size (3.5" compared to 4.5")

The instrument also requires some serious chops to play.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Hi Raymond,
    There are several varieties of piccolo trumpets, the most common of them in Bb and A. Often this is actually one horn with two different sets of tubing. I suppose the soprano bugle (in G) could also fall into the category.

There is no additional notation except for "To Piccolo trumpet (in A or Bb)" and, yes the pitches come out sounding an octave higher than if they were played on the larger horn (in A or Bb). The piccolo trumpet is usually used on Bach or baroque music either to replace instruments such as the Clarino or because there is sustained playing in the very high register. The tone of a pic is much thinner and does not project as well as its Bb and C cousins. This is due to the much smaller bell size (3.5" compared to 4.5")

The instrument also requires some serious chops to play.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs
    Right...I have prepared an extensive treatise on transposition, including both the WHY and the HOW of transposition.
    I did it some time ago; I am informed that it is being HTML-i-fied and should appear shortly.
    PS-the mid-and upper register is potentially quite piercing.
    Some time when I have had a few Guinness, I will tell of the time that the picc trumpet player in my brass quintet forgot to move the extension pipe back from A to B flat between pieces

If you are writing in concert pitch, you always write what you want to hear on a non-transposing staff. That's the point of writing in concert pitch .
    If you then convert to a transposed score, the following applies...

PICC in A: Written Middle C sounds the A above Middle C.
    PICC in Bb: Written Middle C sounds the Bb above Middle C.

ALSO: Most pro-quality piccs have FOUR valves and can OCCASIONALLY descend below the low E concert on the Bb instrument or the low Eb on the A instrument. Than comes in handy on OCCASIONAL baroque passages where a line descends low. Don't get in the habit of using it, though, because it REALLY doesn't speak well.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

[quote=Reegs]The instrument also requires some serious chops to play./quote]

What do you mean by this?

Reegs and Snorlax, thank you for those replies.

Have a nice weekend,
    Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    What do you mean by this?
    It's a tough instrument to play. Only experienced players with a very well-developed embouchere will be able to produce a good tone and play the range of the instrument. In other words, even though it would seem like the concert F above the staff would be easier to play on a pic (and it is), to get it on the pic you'd need to be capable of playing it on a Bb as well.

Reegs

Reegs, thank you. Sometimes typical U.S. English or just plain english terms don't stick. Let's hope my Piccolo Trumpeteer has all the skills needed, some phrases are rather complicated (at least a bit fast and sometimes at the higher registers to get that piercing sound).

Regards,

Raymond

Go Back to forum