• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigarigs...

Share/Bookmark

Gigarigs...

Hello all,

I would appreciate some advice on the setup I am currently planning on getting in order to run VSL pro. I\'ve initially decided to go for a 3 pc setup with midi over lan. my budget is around 6 thousand sterling, perhaps a little more (including VSL etc).

Sequencer pc:
    (my current giga & seqencer pc)
    Athlon 1000

256 meg ram,

dual 15 gig HDD\'s (7,200)

M-Audio Delta 66

cakewalk 9

(maybe gs96 if I need extra from time to time?)

(anyone recommend a good cheap network card to use in all 3 machines for Midi-over-lan?).

2 Giga pc\'s:
    AMD Athlon 2000 (or 2400)

1024Mb (2x512) pc2700 DDR RAM.

120Gb HDD (7200rpm, 8mb buffer)

128MB nVIDIA GeForce4 Graphics?

Sony DVD-RW Multi-burner + 52x CDRW?

AudioPhile 24/96 - i\'m assuming I can send the audio back into my sequencer pc with the Delta 66 from both giga pcs with audiophiles?

so, is there anything i\'ve missed?? or are there better ways of running multiple pc\'s?

I\'m thinking that perhaps it would be cheaper to buy 3 new computers, only one having a monitor and using fx-teleport?.... I have to admit, that after searching the net all day (including this forum\'s past) my head is hurting! If possible, I would really appreciate you guys listing all your components and software you use to run a stable multiple computer giga-rig. phew! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Gigarigs...

Hey Lee..

Doesn\'t GS3 support GSIF 1 protocol also??
    the difference is that GSIF 1 can\'t record audio directly into Giga compared to GSIF 2..
    let me know if i\'m wrong..
    thanks

Yves

You may save some money if you can wait for the Gigastudio VST wrapper. Then along with FX-Teleport you won\'t need any soundcards on your Gigastudio PCs nor Midi-Over-Lan.

Yes, this would save you money, since you can forget about having a soundcard in the slave computers. Also, you would have giga integrated into your sequencer. Check out www.fx-max.com

Thanks all. Looks like I can save some money by going with the VST route. So this would work fine with Cakewalk 9? How exactly does fx teleport do away with sound cards in each computer???

Originally posted by Yves:
    Hey Lee..

Doesn\'t GS3 support GSIF 1 protocol also??
    the difference is that GSIF 1 can\'t record audio directly into Giga compared to GSIF 2..
    let me know if i\'m wrong..
    thanks

Yves
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">3.0 requires GSIF-1 for sample playing and GSIF-2 for any audio-in functionality [per David G.]

Go Back to forum