• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT? Musical Children

Share/Bookmark

OT? Musical Children

I work with kids ages 2-5 all day so sometimes cool things happen like a young girl hearing this played on a flute...

And turning around to ask me: "Is that Ariel's song!?" She's certainly the first four-year-old I've met with an ear for leitmotifs. I told her mom they need to get her to listen to some Wagner.

And then there was the boy last year who started violin lessons at age 4 and then came in next week and played violin tunes on the first four strings of my guitar.

Just thought some people here would appreciate stories like this. Contribute and discuss if you like.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Re: OT? Musical Children

That's awesome! Kids like that amaze me, they also crack me up with the things they say. This doesn't really have anything to do with music, but...
    In a grocery store, this little four year old girl overheard her Hispanic mom bragging that her kid could speak perfect English. The kid wanted to know more about what her mom was talking about and began to ask many questions in both Spanish and English, then finally asked in English, "well then what language am i speaking right now?" Her mom replied, "English, you are speaking perfect English" Then the kid said "Wow!! I didn't know i could speak English."

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    That's awesome! Kids like that amaze me, they also crack me up with the things they say. This doesn't really have anything to do with music, but...
    In a grocery store, this little four year old girl overheard her Hispanic mom bragging that her kid could speak perfect English. The kid wanted to know more about what her mom was talking about and began to ask many questions in both Spanish and English, then finally asked in English, "well then what language am i speaking right now?" Her mom replied, "English, you are speaking perfect English" Then the kid said "Wow!! I didn't know i could speak English."
    Very cool! A good example how Kids are learning...., by doing.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute
    I work with kids ages 2-5 all day so sometimes cool things happen like a young girl hearing this played on a flute...

And turning around to ask me: "Is that Ariel's song!?" She's certainly the first four-year-old I've met with an ear for leitmotifs. I told her mom they need to get her to listen to some Wagner.
    Am I the only one who read the first line of that post, then played that small line of music on a piano, and then continued reading the piece? Come on, I can't have been the only one
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    Am I the only one who read the first line of that post, then played that small line of music on a piano, and then continued reading the piece? Come on, I can't have been the only one
    I read this, but I don`t know what it is, the "Ariel`s-Song"... . Please help
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

"Ariel's Song" from "The Little Mermaid," a Disney (USA) animated production
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

germancomponist: In "The Little Mermaid" it's the short theme that (usually) plays when something happens to Ariel and is incorporated into a few of her songs. I don't know if I notated it "properly" in the example; that's just how I hear it and I thought illustrating would help make the point.

C J Pro: I do that whenever I see music and text together because I'm a lousy reader and can never "hear" it just in my imagination. Actually I do have very good relative pitch so more often I'll just sing something out loud and then endure the strange looks from my wife.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Well, children learn many things we may never be aware of. Mostly they learn fastest and easiest that which is familiar to them. My younger son was humming melodies from Chopin & Field when he was about three because that is what he heard Daddy playing on the piano and that made it the thing to do.

At age 4, my older son learned to use quite a number of words very well, and which would have been suited for a drunken sailor. While I was away on military duty, he acquired his impressive vocabulary from the children in the park playground in St. Louis. The interesting part is that when I returned, his vocabulary returned to normal with no effort on my part.

Richard

Go Back to forum