• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to use the old GPO player after KP upgrade?

Share/Bookmark

How to use the old GPO player after KP upgrade?

Sorry if that has been covered before but I cannot find the needed information. I upgraded to the Kontakt Player version but didn't realize before that the library won't load anymore into the old player. Now if I open old projects the GPO sounds won't load. (The message says the the content was created with a newer version.)
    How can I use old and new player side by side? Deinstall everything and install the libraries in two different folders? Would something like that do the trick?

Please help! ?

Re: How to use the old GPO player after KP upgrade?

KP2 gets installed into the old KP1 folder and the KP1 folder is moved into a sub (backup) folder. After the install, KP1 will no longer work. The sample files need to exist in both the KP2 and the KP1 Library folders if both are to work. The sample files must be copied (not moved) into the KP1 folder.

There are 3 files to be copied. The Instrument folders are different from KP1 and KP2, leave them alone.
    GPO_Library_part1.nks
    GPO_Library_part2.nks
    GPO_Library_part3.nks
    These files hold the actual samples and are large.

If you used the default locations when you installed the libraries then KP2 will be in
    "C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library"
    and KP1 will be in
    “C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library\Kontakt Player 1 backup”

Find the .nks files in
    "C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library"
    and COPY (not move) them to
    “C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library\Kontakt Player 1 backup”

Then open KP1 standalone and set the samples folder to the backup folder location.

Once you have it started, click the "OPTIONS" button below the large "LOAD" button. Roughly in the middle is a box with a path name. If it doesn't have the correct path (the "backup" folder), click the button to the left and browse to the correct folder.

That helped, thank you very much!!

You're welcome. Bits and pieces of this procedure are splattered about. But I think this is the first time I've posted the whole procedure.

The only problem (PC) for me is that I cannot find a way to shift GPO1 to the alternate folder. The only dialog box I see does not provide for this option.
    Henry Howey
    Professor of Music
    Sam Houston State University
    Box 2208
    Huntsville, TX 77341
    (936) 294-1364
    http://www.shsu.edu/~music/faculty/howey.html
    Owner of FINALE Discussion List

Never mind;-)

I keep forgetting about the options button. I'm to used to KP2;-)
    Henry Howey
    Professor of Music
    Sam Houston State University
    Box 2208
    Huntsville, TX 77341
    (936) 294-1364
    http://www.shsu.edu/~music/faculty/howey.html
    Owner of FINALE Discussion List

What a cluster____
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

There's no need to create multiple copies of the library files, especially if you're a little low on hard drive space.

Instead, you can create a hardlink, if you're using NTFS, rather than FAT32. It's kind of like a shortcut, except the computer reads it as the actual file, rather than a link to the file. So, you can have as many hardlink copies as you like, and need only one copy of the physical data.

For an incredibly easy way to do this, look here:

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...kshellext.html

P. S. If you can spare the room, go ahead and create two copies of the libraries, especially if you plan to use both players at once. Your computer wouldn't run quite as efficiently if two players were reading data from the same samples, at the same time. However, I personally haven't had any trouble with hardlinks, KP, and KP2.
    Best of luck,
    David Guinness

Dell P4 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2, Finale 2007c, GPO and JABB with KP2
    HP AMD 2.3Ghz Dual, 3GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, Finale 2008, GPO, JABB, Gofriller Solo Cello with KP2

Hi, David

Thanks for the link to the HardLink program - But I don't get it. I installed it on my Dell Windows XP machine, but there's no .exe, just a .dll file--and that would open through--what?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Can this same process work with Jabb? I downloaded the new Kontakt and the old doesn't work except for the few I had saved.

Go Back to forum