• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hour By Hour

Hour By Hour - Complete

I was posting fragments of the first half of this piece back in March as I worked on it (and probably annoying everyone ) but I finished it back in June and it turned out to be the longest piece of music I've ever written at around 13.5 minutes. I'm finally getting around to posting it:

Hour By Hour
    "Time is a magical thing."

It was written with Overture 4. I think some of the orchestration may be a bit unrealistic, but I may have sacraficed orchestrational realism for my ear's fantastical desires. Any sort of feedback is welcome (though I'm not particularly planning to go back and do any compositional editing ). I hope you enjoy (if you can get through all 13.5 minutes of it ). Many thanks for listening.

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Hour By Hour

Truly an epic work here! Your skilled musical craftsmanship kept my mind from drifting; I remained caught by your whimsical gestures. The main theme originally performed by the flute is wonderfully beautiful! Excellent use of percussion and well thought out textures, transitions, and cadences. I was expecting a little bit bigger of an ending but this one was no "let down"! Great job Sean - all the way through!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

This is wonderful. I admit I wasn't sure if I'd make it through 13 minutes, but you kept my interest the whole time. Excellent orchestral imagination! As to whether or not it is "performance possible" - perhaps, it might need tweaking, but probably no more than that.

This piece seems to be much more developed than some of your previous works. I realize that other posts have had a different intent/inspiration. What I want to say is that this feels like more mature writing; at the same time I don't want to cast any disrespect on your other, earlier works. either way, please know that I enjoyed this tremendously.

Thanks for starting my day right!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

From the opening pizz. to your closing tutti, this is a fine work, Lad. I enjoyed all of the contrasts of your composition very much. Fine writing, Mr. Sean. Thanks for posting.

My best,

Larry G. Alexander

Wilton, NH

Hi Sean,

Very nice. This is the best I’ve heard from you yet.
    Trent P. McDonald

Sean, this is absolutely delightful!

One of my favourite writers and musicians is Mike Oldfield and this music is redolent of his work.

There are so many layers building on top of each other - it is just wonderful - a real joy to listen to.

Please do not deprecate your craft with desultory comments about being able to stick it out for 13 minutes - how could someone not!

I loved it. I am just listening to one of the build ups near the beginning for the second time.

The music is simple, whimsical in places, but honest and engaging.

I really love your syncopations - fast stabs of the cello, arpeggios of all sorts of instruments layered over the top of each other - there is a harp running up and down in the background adding texture behind a soothing oboe.

Lots of things to think about and explore.

Great job and thanks for sharing.

AAaah, a new Sean Hannifin piece.

What's going on? The Listening Room is fairly BURsting with especially fine music at present, with the return of Daniele, the re-surfacing of Michael's "Marionette" - the list goes on, and now this burst of powerful gentleness (how's THat for a combo of adjectives!) from Sean.

Your delight in composing this is infectious. This twinkling, light-as-air flight "Hour By Hour" makes for a gliding magic carpet ride of a trip that anyone would surely willingly succumb to.

And there's something from your introduction I want to respond to:

"...I think some of the orchestration may be a bit unrealistic, but I may have sacrificed orchestrational realism for my ear's fantastical desires..."

I feel that's exactly as it should be. It's interesting to think of how on other music Forums online, where the focus is on creating recordings rather than "realistic renderings" - it's taken for granted that one does whatever one wants to make for a great listening experience, whereas that's often the last goal here at the Garritan Forums.

I understand why you said this - because the focus here is primarily to make recordings/renderings which reflect, as closely as possible, what the sound of an orchestra on stage would be like. I humbly submit that it's a limited goal which can get tiresome.

In a world where the vast majority of music which is written to be performed live never Will be performed - (the voice of reality speaking) - then I feel to go beyond "naturalism" in our recordings is to be encouraged. A lot of great music will never be performed in concert, so let's at least make recordings of it as fantastic as we're capable of- That point of view is obvious to anyone hearing my "Dorian" posts.

Anyway, thanks both for the music and for the comment which uncontrollably brought out the philosopher in me. lol.

Great, Sean!

Randy B.

You are a master at turning and stretching simple ideas and harmonies into an ever-interesting procession of moods and scenes.
    Thank you for these very enjoyable moments!

Sean this sounds great. Since it is so long, I have down loaded the mp3 for when I have more time to listen to it completely. What I have heard so far is very nice. I like how it builds and than comes back down again.

Hi Sean,

Since I've made a concerted effort to become more re-involved in the forum, yours is one of the first few pieces I've listened to recently. Thirteen minutes DID at first seem a bit long to sit and listen (I have the attention span of a four-year-old as it is), but the whimsical nature of your piece made doing so well worth it.

Really nice job on development -- the highs and lows/ins and outs that a true "work' of music demands. I thoroughly enjoyed listening -- all the way through! Thanks for posting this!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast