• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Myriad/GPO Legato - solved :)

Share/Bookmark

Talking Myriad/GPO Legato - solved :)

Hiya!

Yes it's after 2 in the morning, but hey, I love this stuff, don't you?!

For those of you following the "Leggo of my Legato" thread, on how to effect GPO legato using notation software such as Myriad's Harmony Assistant, look no further! At long last I believe I have this puppy pandered

The help from others here like rbowser has been so helpful. Using that newfound knowledge, I sketched together a simple MyrScript (it's a Lua language, easy to follow) and voila, I/we can toy with legato all we like!

Please find a few sample audio files here:
    http://www.muffitland.com/Extra/myr_gpo_flute.mp3
    http://www.muffitland.com/Extra/myr_gpo_strings.mp3

And the actual MyrScript (plus resource) is here:
    http://www.muffitland.com/Extra/GarritanLegato.mys
    http://www.muffitland.com/Extra/GarritanLegato.myc

And a pic of the resulting score after running the script on an un-notated piece:

As you can see, there are 2 short phrases that are repeated, the first of each without legato, then the second of each with legato. The effect is subtle, yet appreciable. Using my little script, you can toy with various overlap values, and choose to legato the whole piece or just the notated slurs (I left the latter out in the example, oops). The note overlap is accomplished by adding a ratio to the pressure time of each note within a slurred selection - you can't see it so the score stays pretty, but it's there! And the pedal controller MIDI commands are automatically inserted at the right places too - just after the start of the first slurred note for pedal down (to preserve the initial attack), and in the middle of the last slurred note for pedal up...

Please have a gander when you get a chance, and if all looks well, please let me know! Also if you have any suggestions, by all means please have at me!

Eeks! It's almost 3am!!! Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drone, time for dis one to come home...

Night'all,
    Muffit
    ===========
    Affectionately,
    Muffit (narrow)

http://www.muffitland.com

"So long as we employ our hearts, the value of all we touch remains secure" - Muffit

Thumbs up Re: Myriad/GPO Legato - solved :)

That's very cool! I would comment but i have no idea how to run scripts.

Re: Myriad/GPO Legato - solved :)

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    That's very cool! I would comment but i have no idea how to run scripts.
    Hi Leaf! Thanks for the kind words
    For Melody and HArmony Assistant, running a script is pretty easy - you just select whatever you want to modify on the score, then go to Scripts in the main menu and choose the one you want. I will add a line to put this one in the Edit|Actions menu too with the other misc scripts.

I am also going to rewrite this to handle possible user errors - like attempting to re-apply legato to the same area twice, attempting to convert only part of a notated slur, etc. I am hoping to eventually provide enough scripts for GPO/JABB so that Myriad might (?) add a new menu category, just for Garritan library functions...

Here's hoping!
    Muffit
    ===========
    Affectionately,
    Muffit (narrow)

"So long as we employ our hearts, the value of all we touch remains secure" - Muffit

Quote Originally Posted by narrow
    Hi Leaf! Thanks for the kind words
    For Melody and HArmony Assistant, running a script is pretty easy - you just select whatever you want to modify on the score, then go to Scripts in the main menu and choose the one you want. I will add a line to put this one in the Edit|Actions menu too with the other misc scripts.

I am also going to rewrite this to handle possible user errors - like attempting to re-apply legato to the same area twice, attempting to convert only part of a notated slur, etc. I am hoping to eventually provide enough scripts for GPO/JABB so that Myriad might (?) add a new menu category, just for Garritan library functions...

Here's hoping!
    Muffit
    Good luck, sounds like a very useful thingy. I'm currently working on a piece and not on strings yet, but when i get to that it will need a lot of lagato. I'll be attempting what i think is what people are talking about when they say Hollywood strings. I'll be shooting for a similar sound to the "Slow Strings" setting on my mom's Yamaha keyboard. I'm running Finale 2007, I looked to see if there was something similar and found in plugins>miscellaneous a "Finale Script Palette" I will have to read up on it before trying to paste a script into that box, it looks easy but i'm scared.

Hi, Muffit

This is great that you finally figured out the mystery of getting Legato to work in the Myriad programs. From the samples you posted, I can hear that you indeed have it scripted out so it works now. Cool!

I'm not sure everyone is getting it that the scripts you've posted are for use in Harmony Assistant - they are proprietary for that program.

Congrats!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Muffit

This is great that you finally figured out the mystery of getting Legato to work in the Myriad programs. From the samples you posted, I can hear that you indeed have it scripted out so it works now. Cool!

I'm not sure everyone is getting it that the scripts you've posted are for use in Harmony Assistant - they are proprietary for that program.

Congrats!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks for clarifying it, Randy, that was one of the things i was wondering, if it worked in other notation programs, but forgot to ask. But now i know where one written for Finale would go. I think other users of Myriad will have good use of this.

Hi Randy and Leaf!

Didn't want ya to think I'd forgotten, I got so caught up in a new idea, I forgot to post

How about this? A complete LUA script application to support all the features (I know of) in GPO and JABB, all in one handy panel? Complete with custom images for the various Garritan features timestamped on to the score, every controller and keyswitch...

I'm already about halfway done with it, seems really easy and I hope it might come in really handy. As soon as I'm thru with LUA, if y'all think this format/idea might be a welcome addition, i will translate it into C or whatever for other DAWs and notation programs (LUA is pretty close to C already).

Here's a pic, please let me know what ya think - I hope to have a finished version in about a week, and I will be happy to supply all code, images,etc or convert to suit if I can... this is fun!

Cheers!
    Muffit

===========
    Affectionately,
    Muffit (narrow)

Wow, it looks pretty impressive Muffit... and handy. I wish i knew how to program like that.

Here's some better pics - without all the code junk (sorry, old habits...)

Ooh, I forgot to say, you're right, this current script would only work in Myriad for now. However, seeing as there is a need (there is, isn't there? ) I have written this with portability in mind - so converting to other notation programs or DAWS should be pretty easy. I can do the ones for programs I have and once I put it in true C++ it should be easy to make plugins for other apps...

Enough of my dribble, here's the second pic...

===========
    Affectionately,
    Muffit (narrow)

Hi Leaf! Oops, looks like our posts crossed
    Nah, it's nothing really - you'd be surprised what you can do when you need to... eeks! It's almost 1am already - I better hit the hay! (not that it's been bad mind you - hay just needs a little love-pat now and again... )

Sorry! My jokes get even worse when it's late G'nite Leaf!
    Muffit
    ===========
    Affectionately,
    Muffit (narrow)

Go Back to forum