• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Kontakt KP2.2.3 is which?

Share/Bookmark

Which Kontakt KP2.2.3 is which?

I downloaded the Kontakt Player 2 update for Mac (version 2.2.3.003) around 22 July. Native Instruments Service Centre and the NI web site both tell me that there is a NEW version 2.2.3 that was made available around 24 August.

Having had, and seen plenty of others have, endless trouble when updating KP in just about every version, I'm wary about this upgrade if I don't really need it.

Can anyone confirm whether the "August" release of KP2 2.2.3 is a more recent version than the July one? (ie. is it a "build" version greater than 003???)

Re: Which Kontakt KP2.2.3 is which?

Same player, but the Aug 24 version includes the library which has some fixes from the one that came with 2.2.2.

Thanks Craig ... but as I said I already have 2.2.3 installed from July. Are you saying that the "older" 2.2.3 uses the 2.2.2 library???

You need to download and install the August 24th one which fixes many issues in the prior version.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cv186
    Thanks Craig ... but as I said I already have 2.2.3 installed from July. Are you saying that the "older" 2.2.3 uses the 2.2.2 library???
    Yes, the older one did not include the library and 2.2.2 had to be installed first. The new 2.2.3 has some Library bug fixes since 2.2.2.

I've suspected for some time that NI software releases are in the hands of some demented cryptic crossword creator who's devoted their life to confusing the hell out of their clients.

Why essentially "hide" the fact that 2.2.3 (Aug) is NOT the same as 2.2.3 (Jul)? Here's an entirely radical idea - 2.2.4? Why hide the fact that part of the software is identical (the player) but crucial changes to the inert library files will change the way it operates? Why force a 96MB download when the only stuff that's changed weighs less than 1MB?

And don't tell me it's so that the "Service Center" can correctly identify the upgrade path. The day that the NI's Service Center ever successfully identifies ANYTHING I'll eat my audio interface.

The Kontakt engine version is 2.2.3 which is the same in both Kontakt and the Kontakt Player. The confusion comes from the library update which was included in the 2.2.3 August date but wasn't in the July version.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    why not 2.2.4?!.. are they running out of numbers!?!?
    There's some well-warranted speculation over on the NI forums that Kontakt 3 will be making an appearance soon.

Soon, of course, is relative.

Go Back to forum