• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I'll stop using KP2

Share/Bookmark

I'll stop using KP2

This morning I tried to "do" KP2 in Overture. The setup went very smooth. No problems at all. Before I setup the Overture-piece with KP1 and all CC#'s normally used for volume, timbre, lenght, portamento, etc. Now I played the whole piece with KP2 and to my surprise the whole lot was distorted (too loud).

Next I re-assigned CC#1 and dragged it to the ModWheel to get that KP1 idea again. It still sounded distorted, almost everything went into the "red" zone. All other re-assignments of CC# values didn't give me back that so carefully configured soundbalance using KP1. I spent three hours doing and trying that.

I got the impression that in KP2 volume levels are configured different than in KP1. By the way when I assigned CC#1 to the ModWheel it was impossible to vertical scroll thru that Auto/Midi window and the Red-arrow was lit continuously. Until somebody at NI or Garritan writes a tutorial how to employ this nice looking KP2, I continue using KP1.

In spite of the help of all esteemed forum members, I decided not to use KP2 until that tutorial. I feel like one those guys who needs "KP2 for Dummies".

Raymond

Re: I'll stop using KP2

Did you download the latest GPO update from just over a week ago? This fixed the level issues so they are closer to the original KP1 version.

Jim

I'll start using K2 when multiple instances no longer crash
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

JIM: Did you download the latest GPO update from just over a week ago? This fixed the level issues so they are closer to the original KP1 version.

Don't know what they are doing at NI/Garritan. When those updates are coming every week to repair some "hidden features" where are we as users? Besides that, I just checked that I already have this version. Do we have to spend every free minute to check if somebody reprograms the "errors" of the previous version? I am not a programmer, I barely understand the flow of audio signals, I only want a "working version". Full stop.

STEVEGOERS:
    I'll start using K2 when multiple instances no longer crash

I had 4 instances without a crash. Using XP Pro on a Dual Core machine.
    Other considerations made me go back to KP1. I hope you will solve this problem. We can all do without them.

I wonder why the Garritan Company complies with these problems many of us have. It degrades their great product.

Raymond

I'm not crazy about having to update my libraries either! I have quite a few by many companies and updating can be quite a pain in the butt.

Unfortunately, Gary Garritan has no control over what NI does. They have released updates before they were approved by Gary's team of testers a couple times this year. Sometimes we test things but miss certain issues or what we test works right but then NI releases something that is slightly different than what was tested. NI is also releasing new updates to the player that sometimes breaks the libraries. Remember that the Kontakt Player is used by other developers besides Garritan. Each time these things occurs, then another upgrade has to be released to fix the problem. At least updates are being released to fix the problems. I have old libraries that were released and the issues never fixed with them. Developers didn't use to update their libraries! Gary was one of the first to actually do this.

Gary has been quite upset with NI as he has mentioned in his update threads. This is one of the reasons he is working on his own sample engine. The Steinway Grand Piano will be the first to use the engine. He will have totally control over the engine then without having to wait for NI's updates.

Jim

If Overture is anything like FL Studio, then it sends completely unnecessary pan and volume data to KP2, which overrides GPO's own very sensible default values. KP1 used to ignore this superfluous input, but KP2 does not. This is the fix to make it work as it used to (thanks to Tom for being the first to point it out to me).

The annoying thing is that you need to do this every time you load a new sample BEFORE any playback or data transmission. Hopefully the next KP update will have the option to make it unchecked by default.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Did you download the latest GPO update from just over a week ago? This fixed the level issues so they are closer to the original KP1 version.

Jim
    Am I missing this somewhere? There's nothing on the updates page.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Gary has been quite upset with NI as he has mentioned in his update threads. This is one of the reasons he is working on his own sample engine. The Steinway Grand Piano will be the first to use the engine. He will have totally control over the engine then without having to wait for NI's updates.

Jim
    With full confidence that this will be "The End of all Troubles", with full confidence that Gary makes it happen at the same quality level as his sample libraries, I will wait for it. Thank you for this reply.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute
    ..... pictures skipped.......
    The annoying thing is that you need to do this every time you load a new sample BEFORE any playback or data transmission. Hopefully the next KP update will have the option to make it unchecked by default.

-Chris
    I never thought of that. But as stated in another quote, I will wait for Gary until his "Player" comes out. Thank you.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    I wonder why the Garritan Company complies with these problems many of us have.
    Comlies with them? This particular problem (volume level) was created by the Garritan Company. The CC#7 level mess was programmed by the Garritan Company.

I know it is very popular to shoot at NI, but they are not responsible for all problems in this world.

So to expect all bugs and problems to magically disappear with the new player is some illusion.

Go Back to forum