• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    For $850 is the string library still a contender, it's about 5 years old now.

    I realize these strings have a more softer side and since I do background instrumental they are appealing but I've been looking at the Vienna SE package too. Just can't decide about the string sound but like the appeal of the instrument interface. I am not experienced at editing or orchestration and have heard that VI requires solid knowledge to use?

    Would I be correct in assuming that Sonivox is better out of box and VI needs more editing?

    I use Giga 3 currently.

    I don't like EWQL as they are too hollywood and large in sound for me.

    Is the full Sonivox orchestral package (about $2600) still worth it also?
    I need Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion too.

    Thnaks

  2. #2

    Re: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant
    For $850 is the string library still a contender, it's about 5 years old now.

    I realize these strings have a more softer side and since I do background instrumental they are appealing but I've been looking at the Vienna SE package too. Just can't decide about the string sound but like the appeal of the instrument interface. I am not experienced at editing or orchestration and have heard that VI requires solid knowledge to use?

    Would I be correct in assuming that Sonivox is better out of box and VI needs more editing?

    I use Giga 3 currently.

    I don't like EWQL as they are too hollywood and large in sound for me.

    Is the full Sonivox orchestral package (about $2600) still worth it also?
    I need Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion too.

    Thnaks

    Hi,
    i have Sonivox Strings in K2 format ...i reallly think they are the best out there (maybe with appassionata)....for the rest of orchestra i would go WIVI for brass and Woodwinds (they are coming out soon)...and True Strike 1 or Ewqlso Percussion for Percussions....thats my idea

  3. #3

    Re: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    Hi,
    i have Sonivox Strings in K2 format ...i reallly think they are the best out there (maybe with appassionata)....for the rest of orchestra i would go WIVI for brass and Woodwinds (they are coming out soon)...and True Strike 1 or Ewqlso Percussion for Percussions....thats my idea
    Thanks for that.......

    Do you know what the difference is between the Sonivox K2 and Giga versions are?
    Many say Giga is dead, at least compared to K2 which I have never used but am willing to buy if need be.

    Also, do you feel VI SE is too complex for me as a novice when it comes to editing and orchestration techniques?

    Thank you again for your time.

  4. #4

    Re: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant
    Thanks for that.......

    Do you know what the difference is between the Sonivox K2 and Giga versions are?
    Many say Giga is dead, at least compared to K2 which I have never used but am willing to buy if need be.

    Also, do you feel VI SE is too complex for me as a novice when it comes to editing and orchestration techniques?

    Thank you again for your time.
    Hi,
    choosing between Gigastudio and Kontakt is a subjective thing...but a lot more people use K2...you notice that also cause a lot of libraries are coming out in K2 format for the great scripts you can have with it.....i think you should try it since i also used Gigastudio years ago and then switched to Kontakt......
    For the Sonivox K2 and Giga i really don't know what is the difference ..you can always ask them since they reply to everyone ......i'm sure there is no difference in articulations but maybe just a couple of scripts (legato and vibrato) you can have with Kontakt and not Giga...(i have to admit that i don't use any script with the strings library and find it great without them)
    VI SE surely requires time to learn since it's a VST and not just samples you load in your sampler and Vsl is not so easy easy to use especially cause you have thousands of samples....it depends on money...if you want great sections you will spend more money....but you will have all the articulations...VI SE gives a lot of instruments for that price but not every articualtions (like Opus from the Horizon Series)....also Vsl usually sounds more "classical" (except for Appassionata Strings that seems to be nice and more "hollywood")..so it's your choice...if i was you like i told you..i would just do this:
    Strings : Sonivox or Appassionata Strings (remember that Appassionata has less articulations) ....Sonivox is very easy to use and for me is still the n.1 String library....just check the demos...
    Brass : ProjectSAM or WIVI (i recently switched from SAM to WIVI...and believe me i don't use ProjectSAM's samples anymore...it's a total new world...you should check more things written here in this forum about WIVI)
    Percussions : You will not go wrong with True Strike 1 ...simply the best Percussion library available (Orchestral Percussions) ...i use Ewqlso Percussions and find them cool too...i think they are both great
    Woodwinds : If you get WIVI Brass you will sure can't wait for the woodwinds that i hope will be ready in a coulpe of months)...but for now Westgate Modular Series is the best

    that's it ...it's MY! opinion.....i think a lot of people here would agree with what i said and suggested...but at the end it's always your choice...i just gave you the suggestions and the names of the things /libraries more popular

    Sorry 4 my english if you have any other question feel free to p.m. me
    Francesco

    p.s. yes Sonivox is great out of the box ...Vsl requires some EQ and other little things

  5. #5

    Re: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    I have Giga 3 and the SI Strings and SI Brass.. and I love both. I have ProjectSAM brass as well but I prefer the SI Brass.

    IMO the SI Brass sections are much better than ProjectSAM brass sections, but ProjectSAM has better solos (you can buy the SAM solos seperately though).

    The SI stuff also has all the GS3 DEF/PRF programming out-of-the-box, and the DEF really makes the SI brass and strings come to life. AFAIK, Kontakt2 has nothing like the DEF.

    I use TrueStrike for percussion and Westgate modular woodwinds, though I'm seriously considering shelling out the $$ for the SIS Woodwinds b/c of how happy I am with the Strings and Brass.

  6. #6

    Re: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    Hi,
    choosing between Gigastudio and Kontakt is a subjective thing...but a lot more people use K2...you notice that also cause a lot of libraries are coming out in K2 format for the great scripts you can have with it.....i think you should try it since i also used Gigastudio years ago and then switched to Kontakt......
    For the Sonivox K2 and Giga i really don't know what is the difference ..you can always ask them since they reply to everyone ......i'm sure there is no difference in articulations but maybe just a couple of scripts (legato and vibrato) you can have with Kontakt and not Giga...(i have to admit that i don't use any script with the strings library and find it great without them)
    VI SE surely requires time to learn since it's a VST and not just samples you load in your sampler and Vsl is not so easy easy to use especially cause you have thousands of samples....it depends on money...if you want great sections you will spend more money....but you will have all the articulations...VI SE gives a lot of instruments for that price but not every articualtions (like Opus from the Horizon Series)....also Vsl usually sounds more "classical" (except for Appassionata Strings that seems to be nice and more "hollywood")..so it's your choice...if i was you like i told you..i would just do this:
    Strings : Sonivox or Appassionata Strings (remember that Appassionata has less articulations) ....Sonivox is very easy to use and for me is still the n.1 String library....just check the demos...
    Brass : ProjectSAM or WIVI (i recently switched from SAM to WIVI...and believe me i don't use ProjectSAM's samples anymore...it's a total new world...you should check more things written here in this forum about WIVI)
    Percussions : You will not go wrong with True Strike 1 ...simply the best Percussion library available (Orchestral Percussions) ...i use Ewqlso Percussions and find them cool too...i think they are both great
    Woodwinds : If you get WIVI Brass you will sure can't wait for the woodwinds that i hope will be ready in a coulpe of months)...but for now Westgate Modular Series is the best

    that's it ...it's MY! opinion.....i think a lot of people here would agree with what i said and suggested...but at the end it's always your choice...i just gave you the suggestions and the names of the things /libraries more popular

    Sorry 4 my english if you have any other question feel free to p.m. me
    Francesco

    p.s. yes Sonivox is great out of the box ...Vsl requires some EQ and other little things
    Thank you so much. I appreciate your input and experience.
    Your english is great by the way!
    I will look into K2 but WILL get Sonivox strings.
    I'm looking into WIVI.

  7. #7

    Re: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    An interesting thread here... .

    What I read between the lines here is, that the most important things in the future are the players!

    I can`t wait for Gary Garritan`s new "drag & drop Player".

    Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

    Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    90

    Re: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    If he is on schedule, Eric Lindemann is going to release his new synful strings this month, and if it's anything like the demo of his horn, will be perhaps be another level of expression for strings.

  9. #9

    Re: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    I think the SI brass is pretty amazing but the demos don't really do it justice, so I threw together a quick demo of the Sonic Implants Syphonic Brass 4 horns bells up patch playing the star trek fanfare, without accompaniment, with a bit of Giga DEF for additional power and Altiverb hall.

    http://mikeducharme.myknet.org

    Scroll down to the "random demos" at the bottom.. I think it sounds pretty close to the beginning of the movies. There's a 6 horns patch too, but I thought that was too big a sound for the fanfare.

  10. #10

    Re: Sonic Implants still a good choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by dalek3
    I think the SI brass is pretty amazing but the demos don't really do it justice, so I threw together a quick demo of the Sonic Implants Syphonic Brass 4 horns bells up patch playing the star trek fanfare, without accompaniment, with a bit of Giga DEF for additional power and Altiverb hall.

    http://mikeducharme.myknet.org

    Scroll down to the "random demos" at the bottom.. I think it sounds pretty close to the beginning of the movies. There's a 6 horns patch too, but I thought that was too big a sound for the fanfare.
    BTW, thanks again for your info.

    That demo is amazing! I could swear it was the real thing. Ex job!
    Ahhh, those images of Spock and Kirk

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •