• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A New Prelude (E Major) and Other Additions

Share/Bookmark

A New Prelude (E Major) and Other Additions

With this post I am departing Romantic Prelude Land. The whole idea of these are to be a little composition lab were I can work on ideas and techniques without worrying about large-scale form.

Here is the new prelude
    Prelude 5 in E Major
    I was improvising on a few ideas I was thinking about and came up with this. I liked my original improvisation but wasn’t able to capture it – this is as close as I got. After writing down as much of the improv as possible I cleaned it up a bit and filled it out a little.

One idea behind it is what Rosen might call a Romantic fragment – although complete in itself, I wanted this to sound a little like it starts mid-thought and ends with a little more left to be said and yet not unfinished. Well it is unfinished – you are supposed to listen to the next prelude – all preludes should be fragments.

Here are the preludes so far. (A little note – remember that I am doing a circle like this (cap=major, lower=minor) – C-a-D-b-E-c#-F#-eb(d#)-Ab-f-Bb-g - Eb-c-F-d-G-e-A-f#-B-g#-Db-bb )

1 – Prelude in C
    2 - Prelude in a minor
    3 – Prelude in D
    4 – Prelude in b minor
    5 – Prelude in E

13 – Prelude in Eb
    14 – Prelude in c minor

People paying close attention may remember prelude 13 in Eb as the piano version of my Challenge 13 entry. Shortly after writing it I was listening to Debussy’s Preludes and was struck be how much my piece seemed to fit in, especially with Book 2 of his Preludes. This prelude also seems to start in (which is the expected key in my circle) yet ends in Eb – I think it makes a good transition between the 2 halfs of this. Also, the c minor prelude (actually the first written) flows smoothly out of the Eb one. I might loose the banging chords at the end of the Eb Prelude, but, at least for now, it is going to stay in its spot in this series.

I also put the c minor prelude (my favorite) back into the sequence this time.

Any comments, good bad or ugly, are much appreciated.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: A New Prelude (E Major) and Other Additions

As with the others preludes I will add this one to the list of beautiful compositions. These are like a string of pearls. Brovo.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

What a great use of the piano this is.

I really like the way you have managed to put what appears to be two themes together with a lovely bridge between to repetitions, or so it seems.

String of Pearls - I like that analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Penigar
    As with the others preludes I will add this one to the list of beautiful compositions. These are like a string of pearls. Brovo.
    Hi Samantha,

"...string of pearls." - I like that.. Thanks for listening to my preludes and for your kind comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    What a great use of the piano this is.

I really like the way you have managed to put what appears to be two themes together with a lovely bridge between to repetitions, or so it seems.

String of Pearls - I like that analogy.
    Thanks Alan,

When I said I was improvising on a few ideas, the main one was going between the unrealted keys of E major and F minor using enharmonic notes that are in both keys, that is I was playing around withg#/ab, c#/db and d#/eb. So that little part in the middle was kind of what created the whole thing.

Thanks for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Trent,

I like the ringing quality of the dissonant intervals in this one, and the way they "grow" during the introduction to the piece... Of course I always have adored dissonance!
    Rendalli

Quote Originally Posted by rendalli
    Hi Trent,

I like the ringing quality of the dissonant intervals in this one, and the way they "grow" during the introduction to the piece... Of course I always have adored dissonance!
    Hi Rendalli,

Thanks for listening. Most of the dissonances came from my original improvisation, but I went back in and added a few more, particularly in the second half – I wanted a denser sound and so added a few notes. In most places (not everywhere) I resolved the dissonances, but I usually tried to bring new ones in – it’s part of the character of this piece.

Thanks for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Oh my, Trent - I just listened to your newest, Prelude 5, and found it absolutely magical. --Get me, I'm taking a break from a dinner party at a friend's home, had to get my Garritan Forum hit, and this is what I was greeted with. Could not have been a better choice of things for me to click on. ---Dinner's ready, must go--Had to let you know how much I love your new piece. Applause to you.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Trent,

Really liked this! There is a Keith Jarrette-like element to the opening idea. While it seems more modern than romantic, it is a really nice piece; we can quibble about terms, but agree that the substance is well worth listening to.

Hope this gets a lot visits/listens.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

For sure, to have the chance to work on little ideas, without worrying to develop them in more articulated themes, it's great and has to give a larger sense of freedom.

In this prelude, there's a nice use of the dissonances and the way it grows, in the two repetitions, it's beautiful!
    Harmonically, in its structure and in each little detail I find it very focused... I'm impressed by its depth!

I'll have to dig in your series of preludes, Trent!

Thank you for sharing!
    Daniele
    "The gold of Captain Rich" - a danbergam's short-movie -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=62264

I said goodbye -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55669

"Musico ergo sum."
    "GPO : composer = unicorn : R.P.G. player
    Well, the unicorn is to be imagined... but GPO's real!"

D.B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast