• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 3: do I need a soundcard with GSIF?

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 3: do I need a soundcard with GSIF?

Hello:

Do I need a soundcard with GSIF for gigastudio 3?

(Currently I have a soundblaster live with digital outputs).

Rüdiger

Re: Gigastudio 3: do I need a soundcard with GSIF?

Yes you will. Also, as I understand it, if you want to take audio in with GS3.0 Orchestra you will need a newer version of GSIF drivers. Dave G. or Spectrum ?? has said that Echo is close or already has a 3.0 driver. But, if you simply want to play samples like you would with the current GS the current GSIF drivers will work.

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">But, if you simply want to play samples like you would with the current GS the current GSIF drivers will work.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Craig, have you seen this stated officially by Tascam? I can\'t find anything concrete on their website.

Lee Blaske
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Lee,
    I don\'t believe I have seen it in writing. I have read it from Dave G. both here and at the VSL forum. One place Dave talks about it is here: http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=005441
    So, we will be ableto install 3.0 and be up and running with the same funcionality we are using now but we wont be able to record/sample into 3.0 or use it as a stand alone DSP application.

I assume GSIF-2 will not require new hardware, only new drivers.

Oh, I found something: http://www.tascamgiga.com/editing.php

\"GigaStudio 3.0 now also has the ability to record samples directly into the program. Just hook your DAT machine, CD player or mic preamp to a GSIF 2-compatible sound card and start recording. GigaSampler 3.0 supports samples at 96kHz/24-bit, so you can capture instruments and effects with extreme detail. GS3 can record up to 32 simultaneous channels, so you can sample in surround or route DAW track to GigaStudio 3 for processing through GigaPulse. You can still import WAV files to put together samples from sound files on your hard disk, but now the premier sample player is now a sampler as well.\"

All true but the best use for the GSIF-2 and the realtime inputs is for realtime processing of external sounds. It allows you to treat the GigaStudio like a mixer/DSP box in addition to sample playback.
    Dave

Go Back to forum