• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for minimalist examples

Looking URGENTLY for minimalist examples

I'm urgently looking for scores, examples, techniques anything that will help me write a minimalist piece. Steve Reich is the better example I'm looking for.

I would of loved the score of "The Four Sections"

But any help will be appreciated.

Re: Looking for minimalist examples

Minimalism is a very broad church of course - but there are ideas that you can explore such as:

using phrase "cells"
    employing phase (or phrase...) shifting
    using algorhythmic processes
    using static or reduced harmony

I suspect that if you were to approach a complete score you wouldn't be able to see the trees for the forest - that is - you'd have to "decode" it for it to be really useful.

the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalist_music is pretty good in my view.

Finally I would question whether you've truely been asked to write a minimalist piece, or just write something that's influenced by/ reminiscent of popular examples of minimalist music - which is not quite the same thing in my book.... the latter being much easier to blag as someone is just after a 'sound' rather than a piece of art...

Apologies if you know all the above already!! - just thought i'd get the ball rolling... not sure where you could find scores though, sorry...

Thanks Chris,

I write music for commercials, in this particular case they want Steve Reich style, more than Glass. I could fake it, but I'd like to be faithful to the technique as much as possible.

I'm with ChrisR on this one. If it's for a media job, whoever has asked for it almost certainly doesn't want something that unfolds as slowly as actual minimalism. Also, once you've set up a process (and most of Reich is 'process music') it becomes awfully hard to interrupt it, making Reich-like Minimalism possibly the most inflexible music there is for tracking a film. (Unless it's an art film that's being cut to your music - e.g. Koyanisqaatsi).

On the other hand, blagging the surface texture of Reich, but without the 'process,' is quite easy and makes for great underscore.

My favourite bit of pseudo-minimalism is the main theme from 'Minority Report' (Williams of course), which combines the chugging, pulsation of Reich, and the small cells, with fruitier harmony and more dramatic orchestration.

Yes, it's understood that the changes will occur faster, especially within 30 sec, but I remain with my question, I'm looking for examples to see how someone like Steve Reich makes it so effective and smooth. A score from the master helps a lot.

Well if you don't find anything else, the study score of 'Four Sections' is here, but it's the most expensive miniature score I've ever seen.

Yes, it is expensive! But if I could find it downloadable I might consider buying it.... I'm using that as temp.

Go Back to forum