• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Has anyone compared vsl overdrive and lyrical distortion?

Share/Bookmark

Has anyone compared vsl overdrive and lyrical distortion?

I guess my question in being able to be played, which is the one that's going to give you a more realistic performance just playing from the keyboard, while manipulating the mod wheel and pitch bend? In order to get something that sounds like the demos, do you have to do a lot of tweaking? Just wondering if anybody has had experience with both and can share their experiences... Thanks in advance...

Re: Has anyone compared vsl overdrive and lyrical distortion?

Well, the reason I'm interested in the other 2 is because right now they're on sale. Prominy is over $300 on some models. I'm sure it's good, but price is defiitely a factor.

I just picked up Overdrive (which is being blown out for about $125).

Lyrical Distortion is definitely much easier to use because of the great multis (great job guys!).

Overdrive does not even have a simple way for alternativing between palm mutes and power chords, which, IMHO, should be a prerequisite for a guitar library. It has some ornate programming (repetition mode), which seems like some type of unusable byzantine contraption. But, I have to admit, I do like the sound of Overdrive.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    Overdrive does not even have a simple way for alternativing between palm mutes and power chords, which, IMHO, should be a prerequisite for a guitar library. It has some ornate programming (repetition mode), which seems like some type of unusable byzantine contraption. But, I have to admit, I do like the sound of Overdrive.
    I couldn't agree more. Overdrive is extremely primitive, but has a great, "fat" sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    Wow.. I got LPC Clean in a group buy and had no idea it was that expensive now. BUT I do have one question. Isn't the "fat" sound going to come from your guitar processors? That's the reason I got only the clean LPC, cause when I listened to the demo's I could hear all the totally different sounds possible (I'm pretty sure he used guitar rig on the demo) and I though it was much smarter to get a clean library that I could turn into any style distortion or overdrive that I wanted to.

I obviously ask this as someone who is familiar with guitar as a composer, but know VERY little about all the processors and effects. I did get Guitar Rig when I bought my Komplete pack, but I pretty much just use the presets cause I would have no idea how to go about recreating a "sound" from a CD.

Tom
    I think you made a good choice.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Have you checked Real Strat (from Musiclab)?

http://www.musiclab.com/products/realstrat_info.htm

It has clean samples, a lot of articulations (using Key switches) and it sounds incredibly real. It is a Sample based VST (not what is being asked here), but you can take a look at the specs and audio/video demos.

It is an excellent option too.

Wilfredo.

Yeah, and you can't buy or demo Realstrat yet. It looks okay, based on the videos. The forum's beta testers have knocked out a couple heavy metal demos that sound pretty cool. The vibrato is heartwrenchingly bad, in my opinion, but I'll probably still buy it whenever they release it.

I'm willing to bet Prominy's new Stratocaster library will blow Realstrat out of the water. Any takers? 100 bucks on Prominy.

I bought LPC full (clean + distortion) a month after the first group buy, and one month before the second. 600 bucks, full price. Totally worth it, though - used it in a gig a couple weeks later, and it paid for itself and a bunch of food and bills, as well.

Best reason to buy the clean and distorted libs is for the realistic double-tracking techniques available to you. If you double-track the clean samples by themselves, you'll get phase cancellation unless you shift one set of clean samples up a half-step and stretch the low E back down to its original pitch, or make sure no velocities are used twice. Both of which are a hassle. You could keep the tracks perfectly in phase by making sure each track is identically quantized, but that doesn't sound realistic at all. Kind of defeats the purpose of double-tracking, actually.

I used to use UTKT, and just hoped that anytime the same sample happened to occur on both channels, the phasing wouldn't be obvious.

I tried using ADT (which is what the official LPC demos use for double-tracking), but that creates annoying phasing too, especially with pick scrapes, vibrato sustains, and pinch harmonics (a few of LPC's demos display this problem).

If you have both the clean and distorted packages, however, you just hardpan one left and the other right, and you're done. And it sounds perfectly real.

-Tom

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback on the different models... There is definitely something to be said about the clean guitar and then playing it through effects boxes....

jeffn1 thanks for the feedback about lyrical distortion would be able to be played better... I kinda suspected that overdrive might not have been constructed with on the spot playing in mind, but it definitely did sound good.. Tom thanks for the recording tips...

I understand the logic in finding a clean guitar and using it with your own effects... It would of course be great to try this out and see how well the clean guitar with effects responds in on the spot playing, especially with harmonics and feedback... But I was just looking that would sound like a great distorted guitar out of the box and it's one purpose in life was to sound like a distorted guitar... So, I'll look closer at lyrical distortion... Thanks to all once again...

I have Overdrive, and I absolutely loathe it. It has every articulation I could want, however, as mentioned, there are no multis. While the standard keyswitched instruments are ok, you have to load separate instruments to get any kind of performance features like repetitions and legatos etc. But that's not what I hate about it. What I can't stand is the sound. It sounds ok as long as you're playing single notes or the chord samples. But try playing two single notes together and you'll end up with the most synthetic sounding guitar imaginable. It sounds horribly fake because each note was amplified separately. The only solution is to run the samples through another amp, and when I do that, I'm stuck with a tinny, whiney-sounding guitar with virtually no versatility.

Just my opinion. If the samples had been clean, I'd be using it and looking no further, but they're not clean, and are so amped that reamping (to the point where you overcome the synth sound of multiple notes) just overdoes it. I've tried sitting down and building multis for it, and gave up coz I couldn't stand the sound of it. And since release dates seem to mean absolutely nothing with two of the sample vendors I've been waiting on, I'm back to eyeing the prominy library.

Hey Old Geezer, thanks for letting me know... I was kind of guessing that they might have set up the guitar like they do their symphonic libraries... They expect you to set up a separate track for each articulation so that you play one line on one track, stop, switch to the track that has the whatever articulation, stop, switch to the track with the palm mutes, stop, etc, etc... 17 tracks later, you have your 16 measure guitar solo... KInda takes the fun out of playing...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast