• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some Film Music from David Gilchrist

Orcas Island

Some Film Music from David Gilchrist

David Gilchrist has sent over some fantastic music and I thought I would post it here in the Listening Room.

Here is the main theme for a small independent film he wrote the music for called, "The Heartwood Dagger":

The following is a song David wrote for a remote control airplane scene. The director gave an example of what he wanted (from "The Right Stuff"). David writes:
    "Well deep down I always wanted to write "big" so I had some fun with this one. It begins with the tarmac scene and preparing for flight. We then get ready for take off. Then we take off into the sky and then start "hotdoggin". Macho music here. Then we blast towards the sun but then we go into a stall and begin our descent. We pull out at the last minute and were back into the air climbing super high until we bust through the clouds. We are then all alone in the sky with the sun at our backs, the clouds below us, and the majesty of the heavens before us. We ultimately must leave this paradise and head back down in victory."
    Here is a link to "Time to Fly"

David says both these songs were exclusively written with GPO.

Thanks David for sending this in.

I hope all who listen enjoy them as much as I did!

Gary Garritan

Re: Some Film Music from David Gilchrist

Great stuff! Perfect for the described scene.

David, it's always a great pleasure to hear craftsmanship
    this good... film music with real substance to it. Just beautiful
    work -- both of them!

Many thanks for sharing these with us.

Loved that nose-dive in "Time To Fly"... lol!

My best,

I can only imagine. I can only dream. I can only hope. I now shall worker harder today so that one of my tomorrows will have compositions that I have created that are as masterfully written, recorded/mixed and yes someday be performed that captures my heart like these two did.

Thank you Sir G. for posting this.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

excellent filmscoring! Beautiful arrangement and mixing!

You did a very good job here!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hats off to a great writing!

I am not digging the reverb in the faster parts of the strings, and legato is an issue now and then, as nearly always when working with samples. But besides that the rendering is very convincing and musical.

All your strings belong to me!

Hello, David!

I'm so glad Gary became aware of your music and posted it here for us! I hope you sign up as a member here and join in as your time allows. This is a community that thrives on the good energies of everyone here, and the more the merrier!

Congrats on your film score commission, and on your excellent execution of it. These two samples are wonderful recordings of very effective compositions solidly crafted in the modern Hollywood mold. Just Great!

Randy B.

Just outstanding compositions, especially "Time to Fly."
    You captured the essence of being up there among the
    clouds bursting forth, exploring beauty, and saving more
    for tomorrow. I have been there and it recaptured some
    exhilarating experiences for me during my younger years.

It's also refreshing to know that you used GPO exclusively.
    What a great demo for this library. You have demonstrated
    beyond a doubt what it can do.........

Thank you, David

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Excellent writing to the scenerio that you were presented with. Very energetic and full of spirit. And great application of the GPO to get the maximum effect.

Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Wonderful work, David.

The melody of your Main Theme is elegantly written.

Really enjoyed the dynamic range of Time to Fly. Some fantastic string work here!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast