• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Topic: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    I recently finished Wiki-izing snorlax's tutorial on transposition:

    A Primer on Transposition

    Also check out the quick reference table: Transposition Guide

    Hope this will help you with all your transposing needs, as well as showing you why the heck it exists! The wonderful thing about a Wiki formatted tutorial is that it is super easy to edit and update.

    Many thanks to snorlax for writing this wonderful reference!!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  2. #2
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    Well, thanks for the link Sean. It says quite a lot, and quite well. Nothing new to me, but I sure enjoyed reading it. It made me forget that I was exhausted from a rough day of the shopping wars.

    Richard

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salisbury, UK
    Posts
    312

    Re: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    Nice work. Even after years, it is still possible to be suddenly confused when scoring for a transposing instrument. The preference of most brass and some woodwind players to read everything as if in the Key of C or close by presumably accounts for why so many jazz and big band numbers had to be scored in the real world's Bflat or Eflat (think of the poor old guitarist). The one great lack has been the failure to make the viola a transposing instrument. If only it could be scored like the saxonphone family so that any fiddle player could pick up a viola and read the part as if playing the violin. Instead he/she has to re-orientate to the otherwise obsolete alto clef. Thus the chronic shortage of viola players as many local amateur orchestras will testify.

  4. #4

    Re: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    Quote Originally Posted by dermod
    The one great lack has been the failure to make the viola a transposing instrument. If only it could be scored like the saxonphone family so that any fiddle player could pick up a viola and read the part as if playing the violin. Instead he/she has to re-orientate to the otherwise obsolete alto clef. Thus the chronic shortage of viola players as many local amateur orchestras will testify.
    You are so right, Old Chap! Confession: Even after all of these years, I still have difficulty reading and scoring for the blinkin' alto clef. I say relegate it to the dustbin of history.

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  5. #5

    Re: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    Thanks for a well-written history and reference sheet! One get spoiled by the computer -- in Finale (and I imagine, many other programs like it), one can choose to view the score in "concert pitch" to see everything notated as heard. (A real timesaver for those of us who grew up playing all "C" instruments )

  6. #6

    Re: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    To Snorlax:

    Congratulations, Jim, on your transposition Primer. It is absolutely brilliant, far better than anything I could have written. Far from being a primer, it seems to me to say the last word. Fantastic, and thank you.

    Terry Dwyer

  7. #7

    Re: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    Hi, everyone!

    Glad to help with this...Anything to help people get their music properly prepared for performance or study!

    Thank you all for the kind words; I appreciate them greatly!

    When I was helping with the RK course, I got lots of those questions, so I put this together. Hope the occasional humorous bit or sarcastic remark will break the monotony of reading why Ab is Bb, etc.

    And props to Sean for a nice job with the HTML-i-fication!!


    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    458

    Re: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I recently finished Wiki-izing snorlax's tutorial on transposition:

    A Primer on Transposition

    Also check out the quick reference table: Transposition Guide

    Hope this will help you with all your transposing needs, as well as showing you why the heck it exists! The wonderful thing about a Wiki formatted tutorial is that it is super easy to edit and update.

    Many thanks to snorlax for writing this wonderful reference!!
    Thanks, SNORLAX!
    As a multi-brass instrument player, I really enjoyed reading some of your "Thou Shall..." and "Thou Shalt Not..."

    You rock, SNORLAX!

    Keith Walls

  9. #9
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    You are so right, Old Chap! Confession: Even after all of these years, I still have difficulty reading and scoring for the blinkin' alto clef. I say relegate it to the dustbin of history.

    Larry
    Well, Larry, I'm with you on this. I have trouble with the alto clef if I don't use it often (I don't!) If the part is complex or lengthy, I score it either treble or bass. When done, change clef, which is an easy move.

    Richard

  10. #10

    Re: snorlax's "Primer on Transposition"

    I guess now I should welcome people to play a little game...correct the misspellings. I already found four words (albeit the same word though ).

    http://garritan.info/index.php?title...627&oldid=1620

    Nothing like correcting the small grammatical and spelling mistakes on a wiki to get oneself eased into editing a wiki.

    Anyways, congrats snorlax on your first article on the wiki! And thank you sean for adding it, you did well (even though it looked like you were having fun with the word "Test" in the earlier edits...).
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •